shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

No kachikoshi on his makuuchi return for Toyonoshima. 

Yago survives the mono-ii after what looked like a hairpull and so it's a fourth consecutive makekoshi for Yutakayama. That should see him Juryo bound. He started off so brightly in the top division but has hit a wall. (Also, was that the first mono-ii this basho?)

Yuta's future looked bright.  I didn't expect him to go back to juryo so soon.    Yago isn't having a good basho either.   Hopefully, he didn't reach his ceiling in Makuuchi yet.

Enho's match was again exciting.  His body control reminds me of Ura's. 

Ikioi needs to go home.

Thought: If it can't be impressed upon a rikishi what damage is being done to his health when he fights seriously injured, perhaps he should be made aware of how it harms the integrity of the tournament to be mere cannon fodder. Anyone scheduled against Ikioi this basho is getting a free win. At best, that's unfair on those who don't get to 'fight' him, and at worst, it's only a degree above match fixing.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3

Alien has taken over Ichinojo.   Aoiyama's huge flailing arms did nothing to Ichinojo.   Can Ichi beat Hak for the yusho?   Nah.  This is Hak's basho.

When I say that Ichinojo looked bored, I'm usually criticizing him. Tonight, I'm saying I'm deeply impressed.

Aoiyama's thrusts are strong enough to bowl a lot of top division guys right off the dohyo; To Ichinojo, they were barely an inconvenience.

• Like 3

Oh dear. I thought Takayasu was likely to be one of the 'easier' opponents that Tochinoshin had left to pick up his two wins. He's running out of bouts now. Hakuho tomorrow.

• Like 1

A photo finish in the Tamawashi-Kakuryu bout! 

Looked closer in real-time than the replays showed.

Edited by Eikokurai

The Onomatsu order to avoid a mono-ii at all costs and get away without making an odd explanation didn't work this basho: he kindled the expectations for a redo, the fans rejoice - he realized his bad phrasing and destroyed their hopes - gumbai doori.

• Haha 3

Great effort from Takakeisho but that was over the second Hak got his fingers on the mawashi. 

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Great effort from Takakeisho but that was over the second Hak got his fingers on the mawashi. 

He did put up a good fight.   He was not intimated at all, unlike others facing Hak.  

This is Hak's basho. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

don’t understand Ichinojō at all. He’s saying his problems were concentration and now he’s better at it through archery, but it never looked like that was the problem. It looked like he never cared to try hard enough, as if he were injured. That’s not concentration, that’s motivation. I hope his form continues as he’s clearly easily ōzeki material with that body, but it makes no sense to me how “concentration” would suddenly make him better.

Concentration/focus - concentrate (more/better) on a task, on anything you do and you will get better, deliver better results, can put more force into your action.

Ichinojo did not say his problem was concentration - his problems are too much weight and a bad back. Anyway, he's more focused this basho and can make use of his full potential by staying concentrated in each bout.

Edited by Akinomaki

25 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The Onomatsu order to avoid a mono-ii at all costs and get away without making an odd explanation didn't work this basho: he kindled the expectations for a redo, the fans rejoice - he realized his bad phrasing and destroyed their hopes - gumbai doori.

The look on Tamawashi's face as he bungled through the explanation, was a picture. Wish I had got a screenshot of it...(Laughing...)

• Haha 1

Oguruma beya boys Tomokaze, Yago and Yoshikaze all won by Hatakikomi today to hounour their newly retired friend Takekaze. A lot of Hatakikomi today.

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Ikioi needs to go home.

Thought: If it can't be impressed upon a rikishi what damage is being done to his health when he fights seriously injured, perhaps he should be made aware of how it harms the integrity of the tournament to be mere cannon fodder. Anyone scheduled against Ikioi this basho is getting a free win. At best, that's unfair on those who don't get to 'fight' him, and at worst, it's only a degree above match fixing.

That’s an interesting perspective. I’ve never thought about it in those terms until now.

• Like 1

School was definitely in session and a youngster got taught. I wonder what he learned from today’s pasting in the musubi no ichiban.

4 hours ago, Shio-kago said:

When I say that Ichinojo looked bored, I'm usually criticizing him. Tonight, I'm saying I'm deeply impressed.

Aoiyama's thrusts are strong enough to bowl a lot of top division guys right off the dohyo; To Ichinojo, they were barely an inconvenience.

Yes, this was a great demonstration of how strong Ichinojo really is. When you've got a human mountain like Aoiyama shoving on you, and you make him go backwards...

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Ikioi needs to go home.

Is there really any reason why he would keep going? He looked like he should bow out a week ago.

10 minutes ago, Catalin B said:

Is there really any reason why he would keep going? He looked like he should bow out a week ago.

maybe it's him missing not a single bout since hatsu dohyo

Takakeisho will face Goeido tomorrow and presumably Takayasu and Ichinojo thereafter. Unless he wins all three (which I doubt), the final match against Tochinoshin will probably be a double-nailbiter for becoming/remaining Ozeki.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Takakeisho will face Goeido tomorrow and presumably Takayasu and Ichinojo thereafter. Unless he wins all three (which I doubt), the final match against Tochinoshin will probably be a double-nailbiter for becoming/remaining Ozeki.

Now that will be just great theater 

26 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Yes, this was a great demonstration of how strong Ichinojo really is. When you've got a human mountain like Aoiyama shoving on you, and you make him go backwards...

It was also a good demonstration of how Aioyama is a fairly one dimensional rikishi - when the push and pull routine didn't work he had nothing and Ichinojo just waited him out.

• Like 1

Tsurugisho's hollow of the knee is now even more discoloured than Dejima's calf ever was. If only he wore a bandage...

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Enho's match was again exciting.  His body control reminds me of Ura's. 

To me it looked more like daddy Azumaryu trying to escape from a clasping kid.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Precisely why I felt the declarations of the “next Ozeki” yesterday were a little premature, even if he did do his chances a lot of good. Overall though his record against the yaku ranks so far has been average at best: 

Yokozuna: 1W, 1L

Sekiwake: 1L

Komusubi: 1W, 1L

He need 10 wins I reckon for the promotion nod and still has all three Ozeki to face. It could go to the wire.