shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I love and appreciate Hakuho. He is the GOAT and a privilege to see him as long as he continues.

BUT..... i garentee Takakeisho wins tomorrow. ..its his time.

Hak will pull a spin  move and then get hit harder then he as ever been hit before. And double stack of kensho for our next ozeki. And the cousions fly !

Hows about that !

(Yes im knee deep in the TUG underdog game)

Edited by Philioyamfugi
  • Like 1

I've done different kinds of wrestling since I was 17, and Hakuho's two near-death victories this basho remind me of a poster I've seen in Jiu Jitsu schools here and there throughout my travels.

MJ38F.jpg

Edited by neonbelly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Damn, Takayasu looking like he put all his might into driving Ichinojo out, only to eat dust!

Really enjoyed the last two days, even though my guys mostly lost today.

17 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I love and appreciate Hakuho. He is the GOAT and a privilege to see him as long as he continues.

BUT..... i garentee Takakeisho wins tomorrow. ..its his time.

Hak will pull a spin  move and then get hit harder then he as ever been hit before. And double stack of kensho for our next ozeki. And the cousions fly !

Hows about that !

(Yes im knee deep in the TUG underdog game)

Woo, that's bold! I am not that confident, but would love to see it.

• Like 1

I’m so mad they didn’t make Takakeishō an ōzeki. He clearly deserves it.

I don’t understand Ichinojō at all. He’s saying his problems were concentration and now he’s better at it through archery, but it never looked like that was the problem. It looked like he never cared to try hard enough, as if he were injured. That’s not concentration, that’s motivation. I hope his form continues as he’s clearly easily ōzeki material with that body, but it makes no sense to me how “concentration” would suddenly make him better.

2 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

I’m so mad they didn’t make Takakeishō an ōzeki. He clearly deserves it.

I don’t understand Ichinojō at all. He’s saying his problems were concentration and now he’s better at it through archery, but it never looked like that was the problem. It looked like he never cared to try hard enough, as if he were injured. That’s not concentration, that’s motivation. I hope his form continues as he’s clearly easily ōzeki material with that body, but it makes no sense to me how “concentration” would suddenly make him better.

I don't know what might be jumbled in the Japanese to English translation, but maybe he's referring to focus rather than motivation in order to avoid negative public perception. Admitting your heart isn't in it goes against the whole fire-in-the-belly ethos et cetera. To me, Bad Ichinojo's sumo looked very demoralized, like he was willing to give a token effort and then be done with it. Perhaps there's been some turbulence in his personal life that's been resolved.

There has been much talk of a back issue for Ichinojo. This could be something that just flares up during the tournament and on those days he appears lacklustre and unmotivated. No sign of it this month.

6 hours ago, Atenzan said:
On 17/03/2019 at 20:54, robnplunder said:

Let's face it.  It was Hak's pure athleticism that saved the day.  As long as he has that, he will find a way to win even at his age when most martial athletes can't keep up with younger ones.  I hate Hak's antics but he is the GOAT.  I just hope someone stops his zensho in this basho.

What? Athleticism? No way. That was pure awareness and mastery of his craft, as was his bout today on day 10. This is a man who is recently showing every one of his 34 years, not to mention his tens of thousands of sumo bouts in bashos and keiko alike. 

Kintamayama said it's becoming a routine, my contrarian, very correct and completely serious take is that it's a deliberate move. "The big maki-kae" or even "the prestige"... 

As one observer to another, I am not convinced that the frequency with which Hakuho finds himself exposing his back to opponents is part of a deliberate choice by the Yokozuna himself.  My contrarian, potentially inaccurate, yet equally serious take is that Hakuho is weaker than he used to be (heck, he is recovering from multiple injuries and surgeries, not to mention his advanced age), and so opponents are able to spin him around more easily, or at least Hakuho is less able to hold his ground.  Arguably, this results from his growing aversion to fighting opponents on the mawashi.  Oshi-zumo is definitely not his forte, and when one steps out of your comfort zone, one risks disappointment.  Just look at Hakuho's recent yusho record.  It suggests that Hakho does not have a choice, and has been forced out of his comfort zone (with a few notable exceptions).  Somehow, Hakuho's smile after a narrowly won bout suggests to me anyway that he can't believe his own good fortune.  The line between deliberate and being skilled at getting himself out of increasingly frequent dangerous situations is thin.  Is Hakuho so bored that he wants to challenge himself despite the threat of lost championships and lost income, or is he simply doing the best that he can at this stage in his career...?

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 4

It's definitely absurd to think Hakuho is screwing around and intentionally getting himself in compromised positions. He's a family man and there's money on the line, to say nothing of the fact that taking down 15 consecutive opponents with textbook sumo would be challenge enough for any rikishi to have ever lived.

He's a crafty wrestler gutting it out with arts of war.

• Like 1

Jk24e Chiyooumi (3-1) did not have a bout on Days 9 or 10. However, he is not listed as being absent. On Day 11, he is scheduled against Jk20w Suzuki (2-3). Why would a rikishi with only one loss face a rikishi with three losses? Has there ever been a two loss difference in a lower division bout?

I'm with McBugger on this. There have been a few tournaments post-dominance where Hakuho has seemingly attempted to win using different kimarite every match...there was the appearance of the nekodamashi...with Harumafuji and Kisenosato gone, there isn't anyone that's remotely close to him in skill. I think he's a competitive guy that is trying to invent artificial competition for himself to keep the sport interesting, mostly so he can make it to his personal goal of the Olympic dohyo-iri. 

Both M4w Ichinojo (9-1) and M7e Aoiyama (9-1) have a chance of winning the yusho. They face each other on Day 11. However, the Day 12 torikumi will be released prior to that bout taking place. The winner deserves a chance to beat Y1e Hakuho (10-0). How is that possible? Have the traditional Day 13 bouts, Hakuho v Goeido and/or Kakuryu v Takayasu, on Day 12?

16 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

The winner deserves a chance to beat Y1e Hakuho (10-0).

They will get that chance in the yusho playoff, not sooner.

13 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Both M4w Ichinojo (9-1) and M7e Aoiyama (9-1) have a chance of winning the yusho. They face each other on Day 11. However, the Day 12 torikumi will be released prior to that bout taking place. The winner deserves a chance to beat Y1e Hakuho (10-0). How is that possible? Have the traditional Day 13 bouts, Hakuho v Goeido and/or Kakuryu v Takayasu, on Day 12? 

I don't see them changing the order, Goiedo is still in the race too, if they take the decision to schedule one of the two against Hakuhou, it'll be instead of Tochinoshin on day 12 so they'll pick before the bout. And regardless of the result of that Ichinojou-Aoyama bout, I think they'll pick Ichinojou as he is the highest ranked, M7E Aoyama is too low to be scheduled against Hakuhou ahead of Tochinoshin or Ichinojou imo.

Aoiyama still looking like a boss, blew Shohozan away. Two absolute mountains clashing tomorrow with him and Ichinojo, really looking forward to that.

• Like 1

Hakuho vs. Takekeisho: A great old school / new school rivalry

Aoiyama vs. Ichinojo: The Mountain vs. The Castle

Takayasu vs. Tochinoshin: One has an outside shot at his first yusho; the other trying to fend off demotion. Though he only needs 2, Tochi has a tough road ahead with Hakuho, Kakuryu, Takayasu, Takekeisho, and Tamawashi left.

Mita battling injury to try to keep his Komusubi rank. Tamawashi could theoretically win out to preserve a chance for Ozeki promotion in May.

So many great storylines and a hotly contested yusho race, things are heating up!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Jk24e Chiyooumi (3-1) did not have a bout on Days 9 or 10. However, he is not listed as being absent. On Day 11, he is scheduled against Jk20w Suzuki (2-3). Why would a rikishi with only one loss face a rikishi with three losses? Has there ever been a two loss difference in a lower division bout?

First, when there are an odd number of rikishi to be paired up in a Round in the lower divisions, they'll delay the match for someone near the bottom of Jonokuchi, and that person will get two matches during a later Round.  If there is still a match to be delayed in Round 7, then someone near the bottom of Jonokuchi gets an 8th match.

Second, the pairings are done by number of wins.  When there are an odd number of each number of wins in the lower divisions available to pair up, the difference is made up for in Jonokuchi.  Number of losses is completely irrelevant, even if the rikishi have had a different number of matches already, and even if the lack of one match is entirely due to the above issue and not due to injury. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lackmaker said:

There has been much talk of a back issue for Ichinojo. This could be something that just flares up during the tournament and on those days he appears lacklustre and unmotivated. No sign of it this month.

Yeah I read about that, maybe they found a way to keep him feeling good. That or he is in some sweet spot of back health. I hope whatever it is gets consistently better, he is a beast when he feels good. I mean when he moves and reacts things get a lot harder for his opponents.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

As one observer to another, I am not convinced that the frequency with which Hakuho finds himself exposing his back to opponents is part of a deliberate choice by the Yokozuna himself.  My contrarian, potentially inaccurate, yet equally serious take is that

2 hours ago, neonbelly said:

It's definitely absurd to think Hakuho is screwing around and intentionally getting himself in compromised positions.

Yes. Yes. I was being sarcastic. No way it's deliberate. The man is just an untouchable craftsman.

From now on please note that when I refer to something that came from my own thoughts, any of the qualifiers "serious", "correct", "accurate" etc. are code for "this is what my inner tinfoil hat man thinks". 

No way I'd unironically be that pompous and cocky. Except when it comes to the eating of hats. 

• Like 1

I am super happy for Takakeisho. It seems like with another two wins, he has this ozeki promotion in the bag, though I don't want to jinx him. Every time he steps in the dohyo, he gives it a 110%, and his bout with Kakuryu demonstrated that, beginning with that full blast tachiai. 

On the other hand, I really feel for his pal Onosho. With each passing day, it seems like the gulf between their career trajectories is widening.  I really hope Onosho makes a full recovery from whatever is ailing him.

• Like 1

That was a convincing win by Aminishki against Arawashi who was having a strong basho.   

• Like 2

Chiyomaru KK with that win against Sokokurai, "round boi" will be back to makuuchi next basho.The tachi ai was a little weird though, should probably have been a matta.

No kachikoshi on his makuuchi return for Toyonoshima. 

Yago survives the mono-ii after what looked like a hairpull and so it's a fourth consecutive makekoshi for Yutakayama. That should see him Juryo bound. He started off so brightly in the top division but has hit a wall. (Also, was that the first mono-ii this basho?)

Edited by Eikokurai

8 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

No kachikoshi on his makuuchi return for Toyonoshima. 

Yago survives the mono-ii after what looked like a hairpull and so it's a fourth consecutive makekoshi for Yutakayama. That should see him Juryo bound. He started off so brightly in the top division but has hit a wall.

That definitely looked like a hairpull to me!

1 minute ago, mt fuji said:

That definitely looked like a hairpull to me!

I've seen them given for less. Yago's right fist seemed to clench on the hair.