shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

10 minutes ago, since_94 said:

RIP Olympic oji-san. I will miss seeing him. Dude was a straight up celebrity.

More Importantly, who gets his masu box seats?

5 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

More Importantly, who gets his masu box seats?

They never were his.

Kotoshogiku gets his kachikoshi and is having a very solid basho. 10-11 wins is a realistic target for him.

Shodai gets his first win against a surprisingly lacklustre Nishikigi, who is now makekoshi himself.

I hope Tochinoshin didn't aggravate the knee going down there. It looked like a possible twist.

Ichinojo is in beast mode this basho. 

And Hakuho yet again escapes from a vulnerable position. How many times this basho has he found himself with his back to his aite?

Takakeisho secures his kachikoshi by beating a Yokozuna and is well on his way to Ozeki now.

Edited by Eikokurai

Wow, Ichinojo is for real in this basho, shooting his arrows through everyone.   

Kotoshogiku's kachikosh warms my heart.

• Like 2

Anyone doubting Takakeisho is not Ozeki worthy?   I am not.   We will have a new Ozeki in the next basho.

• Like 1

Will they promote Ichinojou to at least Komosubi in the next basho?

Takakeisho was relentless in his attack on Kakuryu.  I'm sure Hakuho was watching that bout, probably wondering what is in store for him on the next day when he will face Takakeisho.  I wonder if he gets calls from (retired) friends with advice, or if he is simply respected too much and left to figure out his own strategy.  Interestingly, Takakeisho ended up serving Hakuho the power water today.  Hope he didn't give away too much of his good luck.  Which Hakuho will show up tomorrow: the day 10 Hakuho who at least looks vulnerable, or the day 9 Hakuho whose sumo is a thing of beauty?  This might just be the match of the tournament!

Edited by Amamaniac

2 minutes ago, Stein said:

He's been very fortunate that the joi above him are having pretty poor tournaments, so a big promotion looks likely. Kaisei, Nishikigi, Shodai and Tochiozan are all MK already, Endo is one loss from it, and Myogiryu and Daieisho are still vulnerable. It's also possible that three of the four sanyaku could makekoshi too. Ichinojo is well placed to reap the benefits.

• Like 1

So Ichinojo has Aoiyama tomorrow and I presume he'll get some of the san'yaku guys in the last days but no yokozuna since they still have to face the other top guys. If he wins tomorrow he might have a real chance.

Aoiyama is in the yusho race again, this time with the top guys present and (somewhat) in good form. Would be quite the upset to see him shove out Ichinojo today and have that second place spot all to himself going into the final days.

It looked like Tochinoshin’s knee just...collapsed, for lack of a better term. While he was able to get up in reasonable fashion afterward, I’m concerned that the rest of his opponents will use the same twist tactic against that knee. 

Amazing that Hakuho is able to recover from a position like that, but he can't keep giving up his back. 

I think Kakuryu wanted to get the jump on Takakeisho at the tachi-ai. Didn't work! Takakeisho likely to post double digits, silencing doubters.

Goeido seems to recovered from yesterday's loss quite admirably. Still looking good even if he's out of the race. (I wanted Tochinoshin to win, however.)

Aoiyama and Ichinojo still tearing it up. No idea who's going to take the win in their bout. Ichinojo is more versatile, but Aoiyama has better mobility. Aoiyama has enough power to shove Ichinojo out. Conversely, if it comes to grappling, Ichinojo takes that match. Hmm. I'm going to favor Ichinojo, I think he'll get a hold of Aoi's belt.

Really nice moves from Chiyoshoma down in the lower maegashira ranks. 

This basho is really fun, I like to see that most of the top guys are still in the race.  Bout of the day for me was Takakeisho's dominant win over Kakuryu. Hakuhou tomorow, the bout everybody's been waiting for. Hakuhou is always the favourite to win any bout but an upset win for Takakeisho would make the race more interesting and pretty much secure his promotion. Today was a good day, most of my guys picked up wins but I already can't wait for tomorow !

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Aoiyama and Ichinojo still tearing it up. No idea who's going to take the win in their bout. Ichinojo is more versatile, but Aoiyama has better mobility. Aoiyama has enough power to shove Ichinojo out. Conversely, if it comes to grappling, Ichinojo takes that match. Hmm. I'm going to favor Ichinojo, I think he'll get a hold of Aoi's belt.

If he is healthy (which he seems to be) Ichinojo is a significantly better wrestler. Out of the two of them only one of them has the potential to be an Ozeki. Ichinojo for me too I think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morty said:

If he is healthy (which he seems to be) Ichinojo is a significantly better wrestler. Out of the two of them only one of them has the potential to be an Ozeki. Ichinojo for me too I think.

Aoiyama has seen how his heya's ozeki managed to win against Ichinojo

On 17/03/2019 at 21:54, robnplunder said:

Let's face it.  It was Hak's pure athleticism that saved the day.  As long as he has that, he will find a way to win even at his age when most martial athletes can't keep up with younger ones.  I hate Hak's antics but he is the GOAT.  I just hope someone stops his zensho in this basho.

What? Athleticism? No way. That was pure awareness and mastery of his craft, as was his bout today on day 10. This is a man who is recently showing every one of his 34 years, not to mention his tens of thousands of sumo bouts in bashos and keiko alike. 

Kintamayama said it's becoming a routine, my contrarian, very correct and completely serious take is that it's a deliberate move. "The big maki-kae" or even "the prestige"... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Morty said:

Yeah. Aoiyama's best chance is to use his reach to keep Ichinojo off of him while he tries to thrust him out or down. But Ichinojo just has a deeper bag of tricks and good stability. He needs to be careful moving in, but if he can he can get a hold of Aoiyama then that's probably it. He'll try to latch on straight from the tachi-ai unless he wants to go for a hikiotoshi (which might well work, but would be risky).

6 hours ago, Stein said:

Sekiwake, if 2 of these 3 happen; Takakeisho is promoted, Tamawashi is demoted and Tochinoshin gets an 8th win.

Hokutofuji is one of my guys and I rate him very high but I'm a bit dissapointed with him this basho. Yes he just reached his highest rank and had a very difficult first week's schedule, with every top guy performing well which can explain his 3-7 record, and yes he did beat Tochinoshin and Mitakeumi which is nice but his sumo has been a bit sloppy and he's had some bad losses were he couldn't do much at all. His balance has been a big problem and I think he needs to mix up his style a bit, his nodo-wa attack his strong but everybody kinda expects it. He'll probably end up with a MK but should have an easier schedule now, I really hope he finishes strong to stay close to the top next basho and continue to face the bests and learn.

• Like 1

Kakuryu's loss left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm glad to see Aoiyama, Ichinojo, and Hakuho slugging out victories.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:35, Morty said:

I know the Hak-Mitakeumi match was just a standard win for Hak but it reminded me (again) what a privilege it is to watch Hakuho do sumo. The little adjustments he makes to get the best grip and the best position, at the same time as managing to loosen the grip of his opponent, and then capitalise as soon as he gets the advantage, is just sublime. It is easy to take it for granted and just see it as another Hakuho match, but every now and again I catch myself remembering exactly how good he is and marvel at the technique he uses. Probably only a year or two of it left - make the most of it people. It will be generations before we see his like again.

Very well said. Watching Hakuho over the years has been an incredible experience. For a period of time he was virtually unstoppable and I remember guys lamenting his dominance as "boring". Even now, some people hope to see him lose or fail to zensho. I continue to admire his consistency as a Yokozuna and remember the period when he held the mantle as the sport's sole Grand Champion. Although he is no longer in his prime and oft-plagued by injuries, he continues to find ways to WIN. Even an aging Hakuho is arguably better than every other wrestler on the banzuke.

As Morty said, it will likely be a very long time before we see another Yokozuna like Hakuho. And when he's gone, we'll still be talking about him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1