shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I know the Hak-Mitakeumi match was just a standard win for Hak but it reminded me (again) what a privilege it is to watch Hakuho do sumo. The little adjustments he makes to get the best grip and the best position, at the same time as managing to loosen the grip of his opponent, and then capitalise as soon as he gets the advantage, is just sublime. It is easy to take it for granted and just see it as another Hakuho match, but every now and again I catch myself remembering exactly how good he is and marvel at the technique he uses. Probably only a year or two of it left - make the most of it people. It will be generations before we see his like again.

• Like 20

Yesterday I finally started to believe in Goeido as the frontrunner for the tournament so this loss today is very on brand for him.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Indeed Tohinoshin’s victory was old school, and great to watch. Ichinojo is showing power sumo in a way I don’t recall seeing consistently from him in several years. Kakuryu took care of business, marching straight forward. The tachiai hit between Takakeisho and Chiyotairu shivered me timbers. Great bouts to watch today.

• Like 1

Great day of sumo.  It's frightening to think what Tochinoshin would have been with firm legs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Takakeisho vs. Kakaryuu tomorrow . ..hmmmm. Setting my alarm for that one. Glad the Geek bounced back today abi is awkward to deal with, you gotta get under his offence and take 5 or six strikes getting there.

Edited by Philioyamfugi

On 17/03/2019 at 09:34, Kaninoyama said:

The only thing more unbelievable about how Hakuho managed to win from that position was how Tochiozan managed to lose from it. 

Tochiozan is your man if you're looking for someone who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, even if this time it was more about being completely played around with.

• Like 1

Looks like just about everyone had their heart in it today. I don't know what else to call it but "fan service" despite the unfortunate connotations. Man, if tomorrow is anything like today was, I'm gonna be skipping lots of sleep to watch live.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ichinojo as reason for his new success revealed that he started archery after the Hatsu basho and with it his concentration has improved greatly. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201903180000837.html

Does he use a regular bow or a small tree?

Detritus of the Night Watch is suddenly coming to my mind. Ok, Detritus used a siegecrossbow, but the results should be the same ^^

Joking aside, another example how the mind plays an important role. First time in his makuuchi career he was 7-0 and first makuuchi KK on day 9. Awesome.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 4

Aminishiki talks about his budding collection of white stars, and despite the flesh being weak, it seems the spirit is still willing.

Regarding his 5th win he said " I feel like it's been a long time" (since he had a winning streak) " I have to remember this feeling well, as I may not be able to keep this sumo up for long" he did add that he intended "not to quit yet"

https://news.biglobe.ne.jp/sports/0318/spn_190318_9361480092.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Well, Tochinoshin is doing his best to prove me wrong about his kachikoshi chances. He's not finding it easy (I mean, Shodai? Really?) but at 6-3 he's nicely poised to make the eight. I think now that he will scrape over the line.

I think he wouldn‘t have had it easy against anybody having a morozashi on him over the entire bout.

7 hours ago, Morty said:

I know the Hak-Mitakeumi match was just a standard win for Hak but it reminded me (again) what a privilege it is to watch Hakuho do sumo. The little adjustments he makes to get the best grip and the best position, at the same time as managing to loosen the grip of his opponent, and then capitalise as soon as he gets the advantage, is just sublime. It is easy to take it for granted and just see it as another Hakuho match, but every now and again I catch myself remembering exactly how good he is and marvel at the technique he uses. Probably only a year or two of it left - make the most of it people. It will be generations before we see his like again.

You wrote what I've thought several times 
He is in that particular category of sportsman that are more than a "mere champion". I consider him like Roger Federer or Valentino Rossi.

Once he will be retired, I won't watch sumo with the "same eyes".

• Like 1

Some gooooood sumo today.

That is all.

Tochinoshin should be done with his Maegashira opponents, so his final 2 wins would have to come from the  Yokozuna, Ozeki or Sekiwake.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Tochinoshin should be done with his Maegashira opponents, so his final 2 wins would have to come from the  Yokozuna, Ozeki or Sekiwake.

From the OBSC, in other words?

Yay! so nice to see a glance of the real Yoshikaze! frenzy and blood! (Beaten...)(Eastwins...)

Yooooshiiii gambateeeee!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Yay! so nice to see a glance of the real Yoshikaze! frenzy and blood! (Beaten...)(Eastwins...)

Yooooshiiii gambateeeee!

True but his forehead looks like Abdula the butcher 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fede said:

You wrote what I've thought several times 
He is in that particular category of sportsman that are more than a "mere champion". I consider him like Roger Federer or Valentino Rossi.

Once he will be retired, I won't watch sumo with the "same eyes".

You might not know who he is, but look up Donald Bradman.  That's the kind of dominance that Hakuho has.  Federer, Jordan, and Gretsky were merely the best at the time; Bradman and Hakuho are something else.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 3

Ok, that sort of characterization probably sells Gretsky et al a bit short.  But I'm more or less referring to just how much of an outlier Hakuho and Bradman were compared to everyone else.  Yes, Gretsky and Jordan may have been the best ever, but they weren't really all that much better than others right behind them, comparatively.

7 hours ago, Koorifuu said:

Tochiozan is your man if you're looking for someone who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, even if this time it was more about being completely played around with.

Very true. Given their respective track records, I could have just as easily have written: "The only thing more believable about how Hakuho managed to win from that position was how Tochiozan managed to lose from it. 

4 hours ago, Sakura said:

Tamawashi isn’t doing that well this basho, so that’s one to target, and he can beat any of the others on his day. He’s on a good run so I think he can manage two more. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, but there is some breaking news related to a fixture who was MIA in this tournament.  Apparently, sumo's most visible fan, Olympic Uncle, passed away on the day before the Spring Tourney started.  He rarely missed a day of official sumo competition.  His golden top hat helped him stand out in a crowd.  And I for one will miss his waving a folding fan in time with the Yokozuna's shiko during every dohyoiri.  RIP

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005614348

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, but there is some breaking news related to a fixture who was MIA in this tournament.  Apparently, sumo's most visible fan, Olympic Uncle, passed away on the day before the Spring Tourney started.  He rarely missed a day of official sumo competition.  His golden top hat helped him stand out in a crowd.  And I for one will miss his waving a folding fan in time with the Yokozuna's shiko during every dohyoiri.  RIP

Someone started a thread over in the Ozumo Discussions forum:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/38782-olympic-ojisan-passed-away/

40 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Too bad he didn't make it to the 2020 Games. RIP.

RIP Olympic oji-san. I will miss seeing him. Dude was a straight up celebrity.