shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Just now, neonbelly said:

Next time I see nonsense on the forum it's

TORA TORA TORA

Tora means something totally different to me, sir..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Tora means something totally different to me, sir..

LOL I suppose it would!

• Like 1

Unfortunately for me, Day 15 is one I usually have to wait about 24 hours before I get to see, so I always do a quick peek at the results and spoil it for myself.

Disappointed that Takakeisho won. I always root against him, even though I picked him in the games. He deserves the promotion because he has the numbers and his sumo is very effective, particularly against Maegashira (which is what you want from an Ozeki.)

15 hours ago, robnplunder said:

That was an impressive throw down by Roga and not a bad effort by Teruno who allowed moro-zashi.   I wonder what'd happen if Teruno didn't allow moro-zashi.    Roga looks like he will go far into sekitori rank.

Terunofuji always give morizashi :-(

29 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Fire and brimstone. 

I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you!
Fire, I'll take you to burn.
Fire, I'll take you to learn.
I'll see you burn!

Suggestion for your next gig ;-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benihana said:

I'll see you burn!

Arthur Brown. Too many parts to the song, where it just flies out of control.

Re: Hakuho not being able to lift the Emperors Cup by himself, I’ve just realized it’s 30 years exactly since Chiyonofuji had the same problem after he dislocated his shoulder in his last bout in Haru 1989. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Arthur Brown. Too many parts to the song, where it just flies out of control.

A perfect soundtrack to each of Kotoyuki's matches.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

There were times here that an utterance like this was met with fire and brimstone. I guess this forum is also undergoing a change of guard.  

Which is one of the reasons that the number of members in my Ignored List is now over 90.  It sure speeds up the scanning of the bimonthly spoilage topic. I also have to preserve what little fire and brimstone I have left.

Edited by Asojima

I feel honoured to have seen Hakuho's career. One day he will retire and he will continue to be the Gold Standard of Sumo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

I like how Hakuhō literally won every match on the belt since I posted I missed his belt skills.

Fantastic basho for a lot of guys I like, Hakuhō, Aoiyama, Kotoshōgiku, Ichinojō, even Gōeidō A showed up.

I really hope Hakuhō’s injury is nothing serious even though it looks pretty bad, I get the feeling we won’t see him in 2 months. Hopefully it’s recoverable even if it takes time.

My friend tore his bicep and it was six weeks before it was significantly better. It really varies so I guess we will see. He should take time with it.

Congratulations to Takakeisho for his promotion to Ozeki! I REALLY hope he can find a way to diversify his Sumo.

Here's hoping that Tochinoshin can secure 10 wins next basho to regain his Ozeki rank. Would also love to see Ichinojo continue with the form he displayed in this basho.

And what's left to be said of the Dai Yokozuna? What a show of skill and dominance! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

• Like 1

some of you guys talks about sumo appreciation like its some kind of fine taste...well...To me is more like a guilty pleasure...i know, i know...Sumo brings all that fine japanese/shinto aesthetics, and its really stunning visually...But the essence are two not so bright fellows  smashing each other...i mean come on...its not poetry, literature, philosophy or even archery (yaaaay ichi; gambateeeee mfk!!!) or chess to stays on the sports session... you ain't find no Capablanca, no zen master,  on ozumo...no one needs to be offended by no ones lack of gentlemansnesses here...

(Bow...)

14 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

some of you guys talks about sumo appreciation like its some kind of fine taste...

Some do?  Not I.   It's a brutal gladiator sport in funny outfit, with tradition & ritual that are sometimes too much.   But the drama of the 15 day marathon is, well, better than most.   Anything can happen in the 15 days, and they often do. 

Did I mention that ozumo has no weight class?  It's mano a mano at its most base level.  Fine taste, it ain't. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Benihana said:

I'll see you burn!

Yeah, and dress up like Arthur Brown and set your head on fire and ... wait a minute, no.

7 hours ago, Kyokufuji said:

Who is going to approve his participation in the 2020 Olympics?

Seems like he gives quite a hoot about being a part of that.

Oh, so he's hamming it up so he can participate in the Olympics.. Wow. This is getting better and better.

13 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Wonder who is going to clean up if Hakuho does end up sitting 3 out.

Eventually we see the rise of Yokozuna Goeido!

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"It's a bit better. I can move it," said Hakuhou at the press conference today. He still can't bend it and was drinking using his left hand and will decide if he will be joining the jungyo (March 30th) after 3-4 days of rest and has no intention of going to the hospital at his point. "I can understand how Kisenosato felt," he said. So at this point, there is no official diagnosis, just Hakuhou's feeling.

John Hamm, raising the injured arm:

sum19032511410009-p1.jpg

You can clearly see, that he rises his shoulder too and lend his head to this side. If he "only" could not bend his right arm, lifting should not such a problem. But it seems it is.

9 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

some of you guys talks about sumo appreciation like its some kind of fine taste...well...To me is more like a guilty pleasure...i know, i know...Sumo brings all that fine japanese/shinto aesthetics, and its really stunning visually...But the essence are two not so bright fellows  smashing each other...i mean come on...its not poetry, literature, philosophy or even archery (yaaaay ichi; gambateeeee mfk!!!) or chess to stays on the sports session... you ain't find no Capablanca, no zen master,  on ozumo...no one needs to be offended by no ones lack of gentlemansnesses here...

(Bow...)

To be honest I don't agree at all. Something being violent doesn't automatically rob it of aesthetic value. And sumo, while brutal and physical, ultimately is more than just two big guys smashing into each other, otherwise the biggest guys would always win. I'm not a Hakuho fan, but I think he demonstrated that quite ably this basho. His physical abilities are starting to fail him, but his mental and strategic skills aren't. There were multiple bouts where his opponent had him in a bad position, but his timing and split-second decision making was what made the difference, and led him to the zensho.

Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to get out of it. If you go in just wanting to see two huge guys smash each other, that's what you're going to see. But you shouldn't assume that everyone just sees exactly what you do.

It's funny you should bring up chess, because I used to follow the chess world a fair bit (not so much these days) and I'll tell you this; for all the reputation of chess players as intellectual types, there is far more lying, backstabbing, politics, scandal, bullying and omerta mentality in the chess world than the sumo world could dream of.

• Like 5

I really do not want to deviate, but I can‘t resist: my money‘s down that there were/are significantly less sumo masters who suffer from the effects of excessive alcohol intake during their careers than chess players. I also do not know a single sumo grandmaster who steadfastly claimed he wrestled a dead, like at least one chess grand champion did. Sorry, goodbye and see you in May.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaakunakunshu said:

I'm not a Hakuho fan, but I think he demonstrated that quite ably this basho. His physical abilities are starting to fail him, but his mental and strategic skills aren't. There were multiple bouts where his opponent had him in a bad position, but his timing and split-second decision making was what made the difference, and led him to the zensho.

Same, I'm not a fan of his, but his Takakeisho bout left me awestruck with appreciation of his timing and, frankly, brute strength.  The way he swatted Takakeisho's head and neck a couple of times with seemingly little effort, but successfully sweeping him to the side left me open-mouthed.  Takakeisho fought well but appeared utterly shocked by the onslaught of power.  Tochinishin tried the same swatting once or twice in his bout but lacked (i) the timing; and (ii) the sheer power and build.  

As to Hakuhou's injury, the level of immediate pain is not always an indicator as to seriousness.  Some injuries can burn like heck straight away but turn out to be low level and vice versa...which is exactly why one should see a doctor.  I don't know why he is delaying seeking medical attention - the sooner he gets a diagnosis and opinion on a treatment plan, the sooner he can actually begin productive healing.

• Like 1

After some wacko bashos this one felt like really "classic-styled" sumo. :-) I very much enjoyed watching your vids @Kintamayama , big thanks for top quality as usual. Happy for Takakeisho, sad for Tochinochin and I surely hope that one of my favs, Ikioi, takes a long break for proper recovery... :-(

May can't arrive too soon... 

2wwosd.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, robnplunder said:

I called him right after the match to get him to see his doctor.   As usual, he was too preoccupied to  answer my call.  ;-)

I only ever text him now.

2 hours ago, Zannah said:

After some wacko bashos this one felt like really "classic-styled" sumo. :-) I very much enjoyed watching your vids @Kintamayama , big thanks for top quality as usual. Happy for Takakeisho, sad for Tochinochin and I surely hope that one of my favs, Ikioi, takes a long break for proper recovery... :-(

May can't arrive too soon... 

2wwosd.jpg

Hai, so desu ne. Every basho is like that, but we will survive. It ebbs for a few days and then it's OK again.

• Like 1

Sell, sorry folks, I did not check in with y'all the entire basho. I have a new job, but really it's because I discovered among the hundreds of channels we get on cable that we have NHK!!! And, I'd wait until I got home in the evening, ate my dinner and then turned on the sumo highlights, which I'd recorde3d. That was a great basho!!!

Hakuho will recover, but I predict you can already put him as kyujo for May. Maybe July, as well, it's so damn hot in Nagoya...

Takakeisho will certainly be an Ozeki next basho, taking the spot of one of my favorites, Tochinoshin. Tochi may work his way back in there. We shall see.

I'm hoping that Ura will find a new line of work. I feel for the boy, and if it's in the cards I'd love to see him back. It's a brutally rough sport, and certainly not for the timid (not even to watch).

My favorite story line I did not get to follow too closely. Will Enho be promoted to Megashira? He looks like the third most likely behind the two Juryo #1 wrestlers.

• Like 1