shumitto

Haru Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Terunofuji looked sluggish and a lot heavier, but he won. It will be difficult to watch him.

2 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Terunofuji looked sluggish and a lot heavier, but he won. It will be difficult to watch him.

A lot heavier?  That does not bode well for his knee.   At least, he will stop the slide, provided he goes KK.   I wish him luck.

56 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Was he really heavier or just very flabby?

34 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Was he really heavier or just very flabby?

Someone posted a photo of Teruno in a thread.   He does look heavier, a lot heavier.  

19 minutes ago, Uk.sumo.fan said:

Is Tochinoshin kadoban ? 

Yes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

Both knees, heavily taped.  He looked sluggish in winning.  But win is a win.

Aminishiki slipped, but other than that he is looking good - as if he had trained a lot before the basho.

One of the downsides of the basho being streamed very early in the morning... Akiseyama(Helpme...)

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Someone posted a photo of Teruno in a thread.   He does look heavier, a lot heavier.  

Oh, I thought the opposite when watching those photos. Perhaps really lots of flab.

Teru has probably made history as the first ex-ozeki to actually do a match in jonidan. Good to see that he won, but I doubt he will ever regain the strength he once had.

Enho!   What an incredible win ... again.  After the initial charge that almost got him the win, I thought it was all over for Enho.   Good come back.   Just damn impressive, the little guy.

Posted (edited)

Flipping heck, Enho! What a throw... Hakuyozan is no lightweight as well. Hak will be proud...

Terunofuji's match...thanks to Japan Sumo channel

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
add link

6 hours ago, shumitto said:

Terunofuji looked sluggish and a lot heavier

When a man that size loses weight he is likely to sag badly and look worse than when he was fully inflated.

Yoshikaze's win is encouraging. 

Aminishki just doesn't have it.   His tricks are well known.  His strength is not there.   He's an old man in young kid's game.   This basho may be it.

Kakuryu can't even manage to beat a guy that barely trained for this basho. Nice win for Mitakeumi.

Interesting first day, not too many surprises at the top  except for the Mitakeumi win, Kakuryû not looking good again. Very shaky win for Tochinoshin as well that's worrying but he just needs seven more now so maybe he'll be ok. Takakeisho looked very solid today, he is delivering the straight forward sumo he's been asked to show. Also it's really nice to see Toyonoshima back with a win, it put a nice smile on my face.

• Like 2

yay, ozumo time!

Nice to see ishiura working instead henkaing...

Go Toshi; 7 more! We are with you.

Loved the beautiful slap that Goieido gave on the pretty boy's face. xablau. 

Why Kak? Why pulling?

Easy day for the dai yokozuna and for the next ozeki too.

(Typingatcomputer...)

Not much belt wrestling on view in maku'uchi today. I felt sorry for Yago who at least attempted some yotsu-sumo but was bamboozled by Ryuden's loose mawashi.