Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kensho Haru 2019

2073 kensho have been applied for so far - the record for most at a regional basho of 1825 last year Haru is in reach - but that basho actually had 2130 applied for at first.

Top in personal kensho is (nearly local) Takakeisho with 250 (from Kyushu 30-> Hatsu 58), 2nd local Goeido with 220, followed by Mitakeumi  with about 120, Hakuho, Takayasu and Endo with about 110.

http://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019030801264&g=spo

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201903080000736.html

New kensho

1551498773-152229_1.jpgo 1551414130-226524_1.jpgo 1551254111-889920_1.jpgo 1551254035-440959_1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Day 1

27:    Hakuho
27:    Takakeisho
25:    Goeido
18:    Mitakeumi
13:    Takayasu
6:    Kotoshogiku
5:    Ikioi
4:    Tochinoshin
4:    Ryuden
3:    Aoiyama
  • Like 2

Kakuryu in the last bout and only 13 - Hakuho got the most with 20 in the 2nd to last - Kaisei demerit and Endo bunch

Day 2

47:    Hakuho
43:    Takakeisho
40:    Goeido
25:    Takayasu
18:    Mitakeumi
13:    Kakuryu
10:    Kotoshogiku
9:    Ryuden
7:    Myogiryu
6:    Onosho
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Day 3

65:    Hakuho
52:    Goeido
43:    Takakeisho
39:    Mitakeumi
29:    Kakuryu
25:    Takayasu
15:    Kotoshogiku
15:    Ryuden
13:    Myogiryu
8:    Daieisho
  • Like 1

Day 4

76:    Hakuho
65:    Goeido
60:    Takakeisho
46:    Mitakeumi
44:    Kakuryu
43:    Takayasu
20:    Kotoshogiku
15:    Ryuden
13:    Myogiryu
8:    Daieisho
8:    Onosho
  • Like 1

Day 5

97:    Hakuho
82:    Goeido
60:    Takakeisho
51:    Kakuryu
48:    Takayasu
25:    Kotoshogiku
18:    Tamawashi
17:    Ryuden
15:    Hokutofuji
  • Like 1

What a difference location makes.  Goeido won his first five bouts in Kyushu last year.  Despite fighting in the top Ozeki position, he had only received 41 kensho prizes.  

Being a hometown boy in this tournament, Goeido now has twice as many kensho prizes to his name.  Moral of the story, it is good to be fighting well when you are a Makuuchi wrestler fighting for glory in your hometown.

Day 6

109:    Hakuho
82:    Goeido
75:    Takakeisho
67:    Kakuryu
55:    Takayasu
26:    Ryuden
25:    Kotoshogiku
23:    Daieisho
22:    Tochinoshin
  • Like 1

Day 7

136:    Hakuho
104:    Goeido
98:    Takakeisho
74:    Kakuryu
65:    Takayasu
29:    Kotoshogiku
26:    Ryuden
23:    Daieisho
22:    Tochinoshin
22:    Endo
  • Like 2

Day 8

150:    Hakuho
131:    Takakeisho
124:    Goeido
94:    Kakuryu
75:    Takayasu
29:    Kotoshogiku
29:    Ryuden
25:    Tochinoshin
25:    Daieisho
  • Like 1

How often does a bout involving a non-Ozeki/Yokozuna have more kensho prize money than the final bout of the day?  Sekiwake (Ozeki-hopeful and pseudo-Osaka-native) Takakeisho walked away with 33 kensho, whereas Hakuho walked away from his final-bout win with 27 kensho.  Not even Osaka-native Goeido (who is at this point more of a yusho contender than Takakeisho) had near as many (i.e., only 22).  Freedom/democracy at work?  Have sumo fans (in Osaka) given up on the veteran elite?  Is Takakeisho the future face of sumo?  Just calling it as I see it...

23 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Takakeisho walked away with 33 kensho, whereas Hakuho walked away from his final-bout win with 27 kensho.

The win was against Endo, who probably has a few sponsors. For comparison, Hakuho's day 2 win over Endo gave him 20, while his day 4 win over Daieisho netted him only 11.

10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

How often does a bout involving a non-Ozeki/Yokozuna have more kensho prize money than the final bout of the day?  Sekiwake (Ozeki-hopeful and pseudo-Osaka-native) Takakeisho walked away with 33 kensho, whereas Hakuho walked away from his final-bout win with 27 kensho.

Kakuryu had the final bout - and he is known to be low on kensho: Hakuho would likely have had more than  Takakeisho if in the last bout.

Edited by Akinomaki

Sorry I can't use the quote function...  Both Kamitsuumi and Akinomaki provide excellent reasons for why Takakeisho had more kensho than Kakuryu in the final bout of the day.  But, the point I was making, in case that gets overlooked, was that I don't recall that kind of imbalance ever happening in the half dozen years that I've been watching sumo.  It struck me as a special anomaly. 

Day 9

177:    Hakuho
147:    Takakeisho
124:    Goeido
100:    Kakuryu
82:    Takayasu
36:    Endo
35:    Kotoshogiku
31:    Tochinoshin
31:    Ichinojo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Sorry I can't use the quote function...  Both Kamitsuumi and Akinomaki provide excellent reasons for why Takakeisho had more kensho than Kakuryu in the final bout of the day.  But, the point I was making, in case that gets overlooked, was that I don't recall that kind of imbalance ever happening in the half dozen years that I've been watching sumo.  It struck me as a special anomaly. 

I don't think there ever has been such an imbalance in the personal kensho, which are the cause for the result yesterday: a non-Ozeki/Yokozuna with more than double the number of Hakuho

On 08/03/2019 at 16:32, Akinomaki said:

Top in personal kensho is (nearly local) Takakeisho with 250 (from Kyushu 30-> Hatsu 58), 2nd local Goeido with 220, followed by Mitakeumi  with about 120, Hakuho, Takayasu and Endo with about 110.

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I don't think there ever has been such an imbalance in the personal kensho, which are the cause for the result yesterday: a non-Ozeki/Yokozuna with more than double the number of Hakuho

That is exactly why I brought it up...

Day 10

187:    Hakuho
176:    Takakeisho
140:    Goeido
100:    Kakuryu
82:    Takayasu
65:    Mitakeumi
40:    Kotoshogiku
39:    Ichinojo
36:    Endo
32:    Ryuden
  • Like 1

What are the odds that if Takakeisho beats Hakuho (on Day 11), and Hakuho drops one (or two) bouts in the remaining four days, that Takakeisho could end the tournament with the most kensho despite not taking home the championship?  It's getting quite close at the top!  Despite losing two bouts (and Hakuho having straight wins), Takakeisho is only 11 kensho behind...  That says a lot about Takakeisho's popularity and of course solid sumo.

• Like 1

Looked like 37 kensho on the Hakuho v. Takakeisho bout (i.e., the most seen on any bout so far in this tournament).  Oh well, Hakuho took care of Mr. Business, and now my speculation above becomes a mute point...  Sigh.

What really struck me on day 11 was the complete lack of kensho prizes for the "big" bout between Ichinojo and Aoiyama. While neither wrestler regularly attracts kensho, it seems very odd that the kensho gods overlooked this bout...

Edited by Amamaniac

Day 11

224:    Hakuho
176:    Takakeisho
158:    Goeido
106:    Kakuryu
95:    Takayasu
75:    Mitakeumi
48:    Endo
43:    Kotoshogiku
39:    Ichinojo
35:    Ryuden
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

What really struck me on day 11 was the complete lack of kensho prizes for the "big" bout between Ichinojo and Aoiyama. While neither wrestler regularly attracts kensho, it seems very odd that the kensho gods overlooked this bout...

Aren't the kensho more or less settled before the basho?

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Aren't the kensho more or less settled before the basho?

Most of them, fixed on a rikishi, on the first&last or fixed on other bouts, but there is always a contingent for the big kensho sponsors to place more on special bouts of interest - Ichinojo and Aoiyama have no sponsors at all though, so nobody cared.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Not being Japanese is the main problem for them.  Nobody cares about two foreigners with no yusho to their name fighting each other, even if they are both near the top of the yusho arasoi.