Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC May soken

The May YDC Soken will not be open to the public this year. "Too many holidays with the Golden Week (this year, 10 straight days) etc, and people will probably have other plans, " said Shibatayama Oyakata.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The May YDC Soken will not be open to the public this year. "Too many holidays with the Golden Week (this year, 10 straight days) etc, and people will probably have other plans, " said Shibatayama Oyakata.

They’ll need to rename it if nobody is going to be watching. Not much soken suru without a crowd.

Edited by Eikokurai

Looks like the plan is supposed to be opening up the September soken to the public instead. 

Posted (edited)

The closed- to -the -public soken was held today at the KKan. Kitanofuji commentator was not happy with what he saw. At the end, the top 8 guys (without Hakuhou) faced each other. Goueidou was 9-2, Kakuryuu was 9-3,  and Takakeishou was 3-8. Takaysu 5-11. "Kakuryuu and Goueidou stood out. The rest sucked . I expected more from Takakeishou, it being a new era and all. I thought he would be more genki. This ain't morning keiko.. I wanted to see better keiko," he said. He didn't like the rest of what he saw either. "I don't like to start the new era with my grumbling but I came with high expectations and was greatly disappointed. I planned on keeping quiet for the new era but all I can do is complain from the start. Not one thing good about today. It was like an all night vigil over a body.. Really quiet.." he added. "I heard Takayasu trained against ex-Kisenosato and went 1-20. If Kisenosato would turn up for this basho, he would be my number 1 candidate for the yusho..Hakuhou? He was an excellent coach today. It's as if he's the rijicho.. From what I saw, no way is he going to enter. But who knows? If he does enter, he will win. It seems it would be enough if he should appear three times a year, no? He's going to win those anyway, wherever he has pains.. I guess I'll be called out to the Kyokai's offices tomorrow," he sighed, ending his tirade.

201905060000233-w500_2.jpg

201905060000233-w500_1.jpg

201905060000233-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Is the former Kitanofuji a member of the YDC now? He can certainly whinge like one!

If not, in what capacity was he present at this closed-to-the-public soken? Is he a 'special case' as the former mentor of Hakkaku rijicho?

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

Is the former Kitanofuji a member of the YDC now? He can certainly whinge like one!

If not, in what capacity was he present at this closed-to-the-public soken? Is he a 'special case' as the former mentor of Hakkaku rijicho?

In the capacity of him being Kitanofuji.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

In the capacity of him being Kitanofuji.

I'll take that as being 'special case' then, but some explanation as to why would have been helpful. I'm genuinely interested in what differentiates him from other former-yokozuna oyakata who've resigned from the NSK, and other former rikishi who've become long-term commentators for NHK, for example.

I guess Kitanofuji was at the tsuya (wake) of ex-Tokoju yesterday and that made him say he  thinks he's (still) at a tsuya.

Hakkaku meanwhile has a nice comment on Hakuho and if he should enter the basho: "I don't want him to act unreasonable, but yes, I would like to see him act unreasonable." http://hochi.news/articles/20190506-OHT1T50050.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

I'll take that as being 'special case' then, but some explanation as to why would have been helpful. I'm genuinely interested in what differentiates him from other former-yokozuna oyakata who've resigned from the NSK, and other former rikishi who've become long-term commentators for NHK, for example.

Because he is an ex-Yokozuna and the foremost tv sumo commentator and is well respected and can do whatever he wants, including showing up at the soken, though I'm sure he was invited. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

If Kisenosato would turn up for this basho, he would be my number 1 candidate for the yusho..

Well he still has his topknot - write his name back on the banzuke and get him out there!

Do any of us actually believe the 1-20 loss story means he actually lost 20? How many of those losses were actual tippings-over and how many were politeness to senpai? The 5-11 is a much more worrisome number to me.

16 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Do any of us actually believe the 1-20 loss story means he actually lost 20? How many of those losses were actual tippings-over and how many were politeness to senpai? The 5-11 is a much more worrisome number to me.

Are you saying there's yaocho even in keiko?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

he added. "I heard Takayasu trained against ex-Kisenosato and went 1-20. If Kisenosato would turn up for this basho, he would be my number 1 candidate for the yusho..Hakuhou? He was an excellent coach today. It's as if he's the rijicho..

Even Kitanofuji san can be so humorous ... (Laughing...)

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Well he still has his topknot - write his name back on the banzuke and get him out there!

Sure. The NSK should revise their policy to allow retired rikishi to rejoin the active rank. 

Posted (edited)

Reasons for Hakuho entering the Natsu basho:

1. It's the first basho in the Reiwa era and he would like to win it.

2. He wants to do the dohyo-iri on shonichi with Ishiura and Enho as his attendants. Since they may never be together again in makunouchi,. this could be the only opportunity to do so.

Reasons for Hakuho not entering the Natsu basho:

1. He has done no serious training.

2. His injured arm has still not fully healed. 

I'm betting on kyujo. 

Edited by sekitori

^I think he’ll enter because of your listen reasons, but go kyūjō fairly soon.

19 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I was at the Sokken.

Kitanofuji was just being himself. He wasn't complaining. It was more of an 'ah well it is what it is' tone. He and Hakuho exchanged knowing glances and smiles.

Being sharp tongued is his shtick. Reaction online among foreign sumo fans to things the YDC or Kitanofuji say is always overblown and missing the point. That's their job description. Complaining about them complaining just makes a person look clueless about sumo or Japanese culture in general. 

When a journalist asked Hakuho (after doing zero bouts) if he'd be ready by day one he said 'sure' with a smile and it was clearly tongue in cheek.

25 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

I was at the Sokken.

Kitanofuji was just being himself. He wasn't complaining. It was more of an 'ah well it is what it is' tone. He and Hakuho exchanged knowing glances and smiles.

Being sharp tongued is his shtick. Reaction online among foreign sumo fans to things the YDC or Kitanofuji say is always overblown and missing the point. That's their job description. Complaining about them complaining just makes a person look clueless about sumo or Japanese culture in general. 

And I translated an article, where Kitanofuji said all that, according to a Japanese reporter. I'm pretty sure the "tongue in cheek"iness came through quite clearly, as Kitanofuji was clearly taking the piss at some point. The word "complaining" was used a few times by the reporter.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Gunning said:

I was at the Sokken.

...Reaction online among foreign sumo fans to things the YDC or Kitanofuji say is always overblown and missing the point. That's their job description. Complaining about them complaining just makes a person look clueless about sumo or Japanese culture in general. 

Just to be clear: I wasn't complaining about Kitanofuji complaining. I was merely commenting, in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, that he did it well enough to qualify for a place on the YDC.

However, I was under the misapprehension that he was some kind of special case being present at the event, when clearly other media figures and press members were also present. Thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by RabidJohn

Like for Kisenosato, the keiko bouts for Takakeisho get recorded in detail - but for him with different opponents

sum19050705030001-p3.jpgo

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mr Gould's take:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Like for Kisenosato, the keiko bouts for Takakeisho get recorded in detail - but for him with different opponents

sum19050705030001-p3.jpgo

Note 11: Win over Ichinojo by Yorikiri

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 00:59, Dapeng said:

Sure. The NSK should revise their policy to allow retired rikishi to rejoin the active rank. 

What rank would they rejoin at? Kisenosato of course was a Yokozuna, so not demotable, but where would an ex-rank and filer come back in?

Surely being not listed on the banzuke would make them bg, and obliged to reapply entering at the bottom, unless an amateur win earns them a TD spot.
Sokokurai got reinstated at his former rank after contesting his dismissal and winning the case. But a volontary retirement?

There's an own thread for this kind of talk already:

• Haha 5