Sign in to follow this  
Pandaazuma

Games Talk Haru 2019

Just started looking at the games and I reckon this could be one of the most open Masters tournaments ever (in the pre-basho arena). There are loads of dark horses and potential banana skins...far more than usual. In fact it is so tricky I have had to abandon my usual strategies and have decided to go for a somewhat unorthodox approach. This could go very badly...

I'm registered and entered everywhere. I don't know how good the picks will be but I feel good about them. 

On 04/03/2019 at 15:11, Pandaazuma said:

Just started looking at the games and I reckon this could be one of the most open Masters tournaments ever (in the pre-basho arena). There are loads of dark horses and potential banana skins...far more than usual. In fact it is so tricky I have had to abandon my usual strategies and have decided to go for a somewhat unorthodox approach. This could go very badly...

I strongly suspect you'll destroy us all as usual :'-(

6 hours ago, Suwihuto said:

I strongly suspect you'll destroy us all as usual :'-(

I fear not! My pre-basho picks are extremely unorthodox this time...almost completely different to those of the other veteran gamers. So it could be either brilliant or disastrous.

20 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

I fear not! My pre-basho picks are extremely unorthodox this time...almost completely different to those of the other veteran gamers. So it could be either brilliant or disastrous.

You picked Yago for the yusho, is that it?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

You picked Yago for the yusho, is that it?

Haha. Not quite that extreme! ;)

I take it you have him 6-9 in Oracle? ;)

Edited by Pandaazuma

31 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Are you all hot on Myogiryu again? 

Just now, Rocks said:

Are you all hot on Myogiryu again? 

I am one of the few people who rate Myo, that is true. When his head is in the game, he can beat anyone with that tachiai. But he is very unpredictable, sadly.

Just now, Pandaazuma said:

I am one of the few people who rate Myo, that is true. When his head is in the game, he can beat anyone with that tachiai. But he is very unpredictable, sadly.

The guy can be a monster, but I don't think his heart is really in it any more. I get the feeling he's just playing out the string, taking whatever comes relatively easy. 

9 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Also Nishikigi, Kagayaki - really frustrating to depend on.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Haha. Not quite that extreme! ;)

I take it you have him 6-9 in Oracle? ;)

Nah, I chickened out, so just 7-8. He's the highest 7-8 pick in my UDH ballot though, so it was a close call.

Edited by Asashosakari

34 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Also Nishikigi, Kagayaki - really frustrating to depend on.

We all have lads that do that to us, I guess. With me it is Ishiura or Tochiozan. Without fail they will do the precise opposite of what I want. They drive me berserk!

20 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Nah, I chickened out, so just 7-8. He's the highest 7-8 pick in my UDH ballot though, so it was a close call.

I shall watch his inevitable 9-6 with interest. ;)

Posted (edited)

Leave it to Kakuryu to blow a great night for me. 

23 is a loss? Rough night in Toto. 

Edited by Rocks

Bout 40 - Gurowake (M3E) 14 [1-0] Hikiotoshi Achiyama (M3W) 14 [0-1]
  Gurowake wins on the fifth bench rikishi.

Gurowake (M3E) 14 (Submitted by Gurowake at 10 Mar, 2019 02:53 AM JST)
4 Hakuho [+]  3 Takakeisho [+]  3 Takayasu [+]  2 Toyonoshima [+]  2 Kotoshogiku [+]
Bench:  Onosho [+] Tomokaze [+] Ikioi [+] Aoiyama [+] Mitakeumi [+] 

- vs -

Achiyama (M3W) 14 (Submitted by Achiyama at 10 Mar, 2019 11:55 AM JST)
4 Takakeisho [+]  3 Hakuho [+]  3 Tochinoshin [+]  2 Toyonoshima [+]  2 Kotoshogiku [+]
Bench:  Onosho [+] Aoiyama [+] Mitakeumi [+] Ikioi [+] Shohozan [-] 

Wow. As Jejima said, such is Bench Sumo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

We all have lads that do that to us, I guess. With me it is Ishiura or Tochiozan. Without fail they will do the precise opposite of what I want. They drive me berserk!

Oh yeah, tochiozan is definitely up there.

How often does it happen that everyone in Toto picked more winners than losers?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

How often does it happen that everyone in Toto picked more winners than losers?

Not sure, but this made me realise that I didn't know how the scoring worked, I always assumed that a majority of wins scored. Clearly not :)

I'll cover Oracle as usual. This time I'm tracking the yokozunae and ozeki-jin (Norizo, Choshu-Yuki, Gurowake and DeRosa). I have added Chishafuwaku as well, as he won the yusho last time, and is a serious contender these days.

If anyone wants to know their current projections, just write your picks down next to mine and assume that everyone will win 50% of the remaining days. For example, if Gagamaru is 2-1 on day 3, and you predicted 8-7, while I predicted 6-9, you will be +2 on that particular rikishi. You can see my score relative to the other top players in this thread.

I will probably post projections here from day 5 (on odd days) as it is not particularly useful before then.

1 hour ago, chishafuwaku said:

I've several times wondered about the utility of picking your team based on the Day 1 & 2 pairings in order for it to be possible to score bonus points instead of having enough guys on both sides of some matches to prevent them.  I haven't pursued it, but I would guess that it might be reasonable to make the last 1 or 2 picks in this way, given that at that point the average production of each rikishi is rather close, and the potential bonus points could easily outweigh the negligible difference between numbers 10 & 11.  That I seem to see these bonuses most often on Day 1 suggests there are people that actively think this way, but that might just be confirmation bias.

A fair few picked the wrong sekiwake in Chain today. I amazed myself by being one of the lucky ones. How many will pick Takakeisho tomorrow, eh?

0 points in the tipspiel YEAH

massive heartattack with a lot of miserable results in 2 day

isp yuryogame and rotosumo the other way around

Oracle projections as of day 5:

Leader: Gurowake
DeRosa -3
Norizo -5
Pandaazuma -8
Choshu-Yuki -10
Chishafuwaku -19

Panda's fortunes will be greatly influenced by Mitakeumi's. If he goes KK, I won't be in the race.