Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Some new rules..

The rijikai convened today. Oguruma Oyakata tells us what was discussed.  "An excess beard is prohibited!" was one topic. The rule till today was that "the rikishi should keep a clean body." The new regulation goes into a bit more detail. Tattoos were mentioned as prohibited as well, specifically. And what happens if they don't follow the rules? "They will be called to the executive office or the judgement office and cautioned," was the answer. Additionally, that color of the supporters (not the fans, the bandages..), black or white, raised in the past by Harumafuji's dark one, the one recommended is flesh-colored. "What's important is that they won't be ugly in the eyes of the fans.." said Oguruma Oyakata. Sideburns? "As long as they are not connected to a beard, it's OK." The rikishi-kai convened too, and discussed this as well. "This is very important and I hope we will follow these guidelines," said Kakuryuu, president of the rikishi-kai.

I'm Kokkai the sailor man..

201902260000701-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm Kokkai the sailor man..

Toot! Toot!

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Sideburns? "As long as they are not connected to a beard, it's OK."

Chiyotairyu says thanks.

• Like 1

Spending time discussing how rikishis are supposed to look may have some value. But far more importantly, those in charge should be talking about performing sumo according to its precise rules. The one they always talk about, sometimes weakly enforce, and then completely forget about is requiring rikishis to have both hands in direct contact with the dohyo (not  in its appoximate viciniy) at the tachiai. If they need an example, all they have to do is look at Yoshikaze.

The Japanese aren’t fans of facial hair. When I was teaching English there I used to get reprimanded for having a little stubble that was barely visible. You were allowed a beard but you had to grow it on holiday and come back with it fully groomed. No half-beards were allowed.

Not joking, but are they also requested to cut pubic hair as a rule?

Understand that asian people have less body hair (legs, chest, etc) than europeans or americans, but those mawashis don't cover much and you can't see any hair.

2 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Understand that asian people have less body hair (legs, chest, etc) than europeans or americans, but those mawashis don't cover much and you can't see any hair.

The mae-tatemitsu is more than wide enough to cover the pubic area. 

6 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Of course. It's a pubic interest issue.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Of course. It's a pubic interest issue.

Indeed, though it needs to be handled carefully as it’s a sensitive area.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There’s a Kaisei joke in here somewhere that I don’t have the stomach to make.

On 26/02/2019 at 18:33, Eikokurai said:

The Japanese aren’t fans of facial hair. When I was teaching English there I used to get reprimanded for having a little stubble that was barely visible. You were allowed a beard but you had to grow it on holiday and come back with it fully groomed. No half-beards were allowed.

Apocryphal perhaps, but I recall reading somewhere that back in the 1960s the producers from the James Bond franchise had to pay the film's leading ladies extra because they found Sean Connery's body hair disgusting and didn't want to touch him (the film was You Only Live Twice). Then decades later, Tom Selleck was making a baseball movie in Japan and it was the same thing with the Japanese actresses. As I said, just something I read, no proof.