Asashosakari

Banzuke for Haru 2019

1 hour ago, Thorbjarn said:

Is Tomokaze still Yoshikaze's tsukebito? There is no way he can uphold his duties with both of them being banzuke neighbours, right? 

Yes, and very very quietly, he is tied for the 4th ever quickest rise to Makuuchi (11 bashos) from entering sumo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Did you mean "Takakeisho didn't deserve a promotion?"

No, demotion. He was Sekiwake East last time and put in a performance worthy of retaining that rank. Evidently the banzuke guys felt that not punishing Takakeisho outweighed the need to reward Tamawashi, so they’ve kept the status quo rather than swap them as many people expected.

14 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

New career high for Hattorizakura at Jk15w. The ascent has begun.

Haru is the season when the (Hattori)zakura begins to blossom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rocks said:

How are they the same by the numbers? Endo is 2 full ranks back with 1 more win.  The only way it makes any sense is Endo's schedule was significant'y tougher than his.  

Because he also had one less loss!

Even though that's driven by the fact that he had one more win... 

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

No, demotion. He was Sekiwake East last time and put in a performance worthy of retaining that rank. Evidently the banzuke guys felt that not punishing Takakeisho outweighed the need to reward Tamawashi, so they’ve kept the status quo rather than swap them as many people expected.

The thought never occurred to me that the committee will promote Tama over Taka's sekiwake rank.   The east to west (or west to east for those who are in the different hemisphere) is such a small move considering all else (Taka being close for a promo to Ozeki, his jun-yusho, beating Tama in that basho, etc).  

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It's not really considered a demotion. There's something else going on here, normally he would have been shifted west, but they have an unspoken exception at sekiwake where the better candidate for ozeki promotion is always east. If he was not on an ozeki run, takakeisho would have been west.

18 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Takiguchi is now Masuminato, receiving the rare honour of using the first kanji of his shisho's shikona (ex-Masurao) - the last time that happened was for Masuraumi's Juryo promotion nine years ago.

The second part of his new shikona is in honour of the schools he attended in his hometown Funabashi, Minato-cho Elementary and Minato Junior High. Minato-oyakata was asked for and gave permission for the kanji to be used, since it is the same as his heya.

Masuminato shows off his new shikona on the heya ranking board.

9nOj5c4L_o.jpg

And an older picture I just stumbled across - when he joined the heya in 2014, fellow Funabashi native Wakakoyu (now Shiranui-oyakata) went with the okamisan to collect him.

From left: Onomatsu okamisan / Wakakoyu / Takiguchi / Funabashi Mayor Toru Matsudo / Takiguchi's mother / Eiji Fukazawa, chairman of the Funabashi sumo federation and coach of Funabashi Star Sumo Club, of which Takiguchi was a member.

KdBt1tZO_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Rigel said:

It's not really considered a demotion. There's something else going on here, normally he would have been shifted west, but they have an unspoken exception at sekiwake where the better candidate for ozeki promotion is always east. If he was not on an ozeki run, takakeisho would have been west.

‘Demotion’ is just the word I’m using to describe the move from east to west. 

On 24/02/2019 at 15:00, sekitori said:

Toyonoshima--M14! That's wonderful to see. 

TO YO NO SHI MA (Clappingwildly...)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 808morgan said:

TO YO NO SHI MA (Clappingwildly...)

I’m happy for the family man. His wife picks him up outside the Kokugikan after his bouts finish, with the kid in tow, in their little red car. Honestly, it’s a compact car, and he’s a big lad. It’s quite charming to see the family together picking up dad after work

Edited by since_94
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Rigel said:

... they have an unspoken exception at sekiwake where the better candidate for ozeki promotion is always east. If he was not on an ozeki run, takakeisho would have been west.

You're wrong. Tamawashi stayed at S1E while Takayasu was posting better numbers on his ozeki run. Caused a deal of consternation amongst the GTB players, as I remember.

The fact is that sometimes they switch the high scoring sekiwake to the east slot, and other times they don't...

Unusually, even though no former sekitori mired in the lower divisions retired after Hatsu basho, we still have a shorter list than before. There are now 35 of them, down from 36 two months ago.

Changes from Hatsu (last basho's results here):

Up: Daiseido is finally back in the paid ranks after 7 tournaments, having needed 3 kachikoshi just to traverse the last three spots from Ms2e to juryo. He's joined by Takanofuji whose tsukebito-beating doghouse phase ended up lasting 5 basho.

Down: Only veteran Jokoryu has found himself demoted this time, following three rather struggling comeback tournaments as sekitori. The rest of the juryo spaces were opened up by retired trio Kisenosato/Takanoiwa/Takekaze, so no additional active ex-sekitori have been created there.

Out: As mentioned, no retirements in makushita and below.

Appearance anniversaries: Amakaze is coming up on one year since his departure from juryo, and sadly he is currently closer to banzuke-gai than to renewed sekitoridom. Fujiazuma has been absent from the sekitori ranks for 2 years but now holds his highest position since getting demoted, following back-to-back 6-1 records in Kyushu and Hatsu. For often-injured Masunoyama it's already the 4-year mark since his last appearance in juryo, and Sagatsukasa has even reached 5 years.

Birthdays: A pair of birthdays has been celebrated in February, namely Hatsu sandanme champion Asabenkei's 30th, and Kagamio's 31st. Two more rikishi will be a year older in March, both during the basho - Keitenkai will be 29 on shonichi, while Takaryu turns 27 on Day 9.

"Out" shows how many basho it has been since each rikishi's last sekitori appearance. Rikishi with their shikona in darker cells have makuuchi experience. Career-highest ranks (HiRk) and number of basho spent in makuuchi (M#) and juryo (J#) are also included. To keep the focus on the results during the tournaments, these additional columns will only be presented here and in the Day 15 update.

Rank   Shikona Heya Age Out HiRk M# J#
Ms2e Fujiazuma Tamanoi 31 12 M4 17 18
Ms3e Jokoryu Kise 30 1 K 15 13
Ms3w Seiro Shikoroyama 30 3 M14 3 29
Ms5e Churanoumi Kise 25 4 J14   1

Ms6w Tokushinho Kise 34 20 J6   27
Ms9e Kizenryu Kise 33 4 J11   9
Ms9w Dewahayate Dewanoumi 30 16 J9   6
Ms10e Sagatsukasa Irumagawa 37 30 M9 6 22
Ms11e Akua Tatsunami 28 3 J14   2
Ms11w Toyohibiki Sakaigawa 34 7 M2 52 14
Ms12w Sakigake Shibatayama 32 25 J10   5
Ms13w Asabenkei Takasago 30 5 J7   7

Ms18e Tochihiryu Kasugano 31 7 J7   9
Ms20e Gokushindo Nishikido 22 2 J13   1
Ms23w Asahisho Tomozuna 29 11 M11 4 30
Ms25w Kagamio Kagamiyama 31 17 M9 7 14
Ms26e Chiyootori Kokonoe 26 8 K 19 16
Ms29e Nionoumi Yamahibiki 32 34 M16 1 12
Ms30w Kitaharima Yamahibiki 32 9 M15 1 24

Ms34w Higonojo Kise 34 29 J9   4
Ms35w Chiyonoo Kokonoe 27 2 M15 2 31
Ms36w Ura Kise 26 7 M4 5 6
Ms40e Keitenkai Onomatsu 28 39 J11   1
Ms41w Takaryu Kise 26 22 J13   1
Ms50e Chiyoarashi Kokonoe 27 34 J10   4
Ms52w Tenkaiho Onoe 34 17 M8 7 22
Ms57e Masunoyama Chiganoura 28 24 M4 13 12

Sd3e Kaonishiki Azumazeki 40 45 J6   2
Sd7w Dairaido Takadagawa 38 75 J2   6
Sd17e Homarefuji Isegahama 33 4 M6 10 28
Sd34e Yamaguchi Miyagino 29 7 M16 1 18
Sd35w Yoshiazuma Tamanoi 41 27 M12 3 18
Sd50e Hitenryu Tatsunami 34 45 J13   2

Jd48w Terunofuji Isegahama 27 5 O 24 5
Jd50w Amakaze Oguruma 27 6 M13 1 18

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

While the subject of former sekitori held a good deal of interest over the last few bashos, with all of the returnees there isn't a whole lot left, IMO.  I think the one story of interest is Masunoyama's second return to Makushita.  Hopefully he will be more successful this time.  Fujiazuma is on the verge of a return after a two-year absence, but I found myself asking, "who is that?"  The noteworthy names are all still on a downward trend, and I don't see any immediate sign of a significant reversal for any of them -- not that I would mind being pleasantly surprised if that should happen!  :-)

I'm happy to celebrate the return of my "hometown" boy Daiseido, shusshin from Hachinohe-shi.  (Clappingwildly...) Congratulations on a hard-fought promotion from Ms2e to Ms1w to Ms1e and finally to Juryo!  Ganbatte!

Edited by Ack!
  • Like 1

The mochi-kyuukin basho bonus ranking of the present makuuchi - in 1000 Yen, from http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/data/sm-ranking.html 

7972   Hakuho
1376   Kakuryu
838   Kotoshogiku
826   Goeido
780   Tochiozan
758   Yoshikaze
692   Toyonoshima
682   Takayasu
640   Tochinoshin
616   Tamawashi
600   Ikioi
590   Takakeisho
588   Ichinojo
572   Okinoumi
550   Mitakeumi
508   Shohozan
504   Hokutofuji
488   Endo
462   Myogiryu
460   Takarafuji
428   Chiyotairyu
356   Aoiyama
350   Abi
342   Chiyonokuni
340   Shodai
330   Kaisei
302   Onosho
298   Sadanoumi
282   Daieisho
274   Asanoyama
274   Yutakayama
270   Ryuden
266   Nishikigi
266   Kagayaki
264   Chiyoshoma
248   Meisei
246   Yago
240   Tomokaze
240   Terutsuyoshi
240   Ishiura
240   Daishoho
240   Kotoeko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to Hattorizakura for his new career-high rank! After his victory last basho he has rocketed up to the stratospheric heights of Jonokuchi 15!  Can he keep his streak going and get another win this time?

21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

240   Tomokaze

What???

1 hour ago, Qwerry said:

What???

60 yen (equivalent to a 240,000 yen payout, as shown) is the minimum mochikyukin value for those in makuuchi. Same reason the other four listed at 240 have that much, they haven't been around long enough to accrue a large-enough bonus. If any of them get demoted back to juryo, they lose the difference between their pre-promotion account and 60...which I believe in Tomokaze's case will be 13.

• Thanks 2

On 25/02/2019 at 00:59, Yubinhaad said:

Jd75w Hayatonishiki Yuki > Hironaka Ryu (廣中 龍)

Thanks for listing the first name changes, I added them to the DB. Here I saw that I still had Ryu for Hayatonishiki. Do you have the kanji for Yuki available?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doitsuyama said:

Thanks for listing the first name changes, I added them to the DB. Here I saw that I still had Ryu for Hayatonishiki. Do you have the kanji for Yuki available?

佑紀

When the banzuke came out, Nishiiwa-oyakata (former Sekiwake Wakanosato) presented a pair of setta to his deshi Yamenosato, who can wear those now after becoming the first from the heya to make his Sandanme debut.

VsGPqLuQ_o.jpg

MIrX9UGj_o.jpg

• Like 2