Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O Haru 2019

3 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

All the Ozeki and Yokozuna like  to train with Shodai it seems. He gets a beating every time and never take anything from it. He should check his tachiai too...

He does beat at least one Ozeki in every basho, so he might be taking something from it after all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

He does beat at least one Ozeki in every basho, so he might be taking something from it after all.

That's actually true, but he's been really dissapointing overall, since he fell from sanyaku. I've always wondered if losing so much in training to top guys did shut down the confidence he had while climbing up the ranks. He is around M3 again this basho I believe, let's see how he does.

Agree. It is starting to look like one of those rikishi that stays in upper maegashira for years doing 9-6, 6-9 and doesn't really go anywhere.

30 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Agree. It is starting to look like one of those rikishi that stays in upper maegashira for years doing 9-6, 6-9 and doesn't really go anywhere.

Yeah.  A lot like Tochinoshin.  (Scratchingchin...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Being able to stay in upper maegashira for years is a feat that few rikishi manage, and constitutes a respectable career in itself. He has tasted sanyaku success, he is either in the joi, or hovering just outside of the joi. I wouldn't call that "doesn't really go anywhere"...

4 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Being able to stay in upper maegashira for years is a feat that few rikishi manage, and constitutes a respectable career in itself. He has tasted sanyaku success, he is either in the joi, or hovering just outside of the joi. I wouldn't call that "doesn't really go anywhere"...

I guess it depends on what meaning you assign to that English phrase.  After all, Hakuho "hasn't really been going anywhere" for several years(Noddingyes...).

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I guess it depends on what meaning you assign to that English phrase.  After all, Hakuho "hasn't really been going anywhere" for several years(Noddingyes...).

Much to the annoyance of Kakuryu, Harumafuji and, especially, Kisenosato. I’m sure they’d love him to go anywhere (else).

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 2

Feels strange with a basho imminent and no rampant speculation about Kisenosato’s health / state of preparedness and whether he’ll enter or sit out; no opining about his erstwhile worthiness for promotion / historical legacy  / stature as a Yokozuna compared to his peers, etc. Feels like we’ve turned a page and entered a new era somehow. Am I the only one feeling wistful for the “good old days” when we had these preoccupations?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Am I the only one feeling wistful for the “good old days” when we had these preoccupations?

I hope so. :-P Time for a new subject to blather about.

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

I feel like Takakeisho could produce something we manage to love/hate.

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

How long Tamawashi will last as Ozeki when they have to promote him after winning this Yusho.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

How long Tamawashi will last as Ozeki when they have to promote him after winning this Yusho.

On recent form, he’d be just fine. He’s only had one pair of back-to-back makekoshi in the last two and a half years plus, which have been mostly spent in sanyaku or the joi.

Why don't we hear anything about kadoban Tochinoshin? The silence is deafening.

Edited by orandashoho

On 07/03/2019 at 15:53, Kintamayama said:

Takayasu went to Tokitsukaze beya as well, facing Shoudai (9-0) and Chiyotairyuu (21-10!!) for 40 bouts in all. The Chiyotairyuu challenge was accompanied by tremendous tachiai collisions. "

The way the two of them both slam at the tachiai Chiyotairyu and Takayasu will both be one big bruise after that. 31 bouts like that seems excessive....