Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O Haru 2019

On 27/02/2019 at 08:42, Kintamayama said:

Tomorrow is Takayasu's 29th birthday, and race number 5 will be named "Takayasu-zeki's birthday commemoration race". 

So he bet 500 yen on the race,. and guess what? Won 2,650,000 yen. His lucky streak continues?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cannot quite connect the dots on how the OBSC figures into this, but I'm positive it's the reason for Takayasu's win. 

• Like 1

Wasn't Kisenosato winning a much higher percentage of their training bouts before he retired?

• Like 1

Hakuhou trained at home against Ishiura (2 bouts) and degeiko-ing Juryo Kyokushuuhou(5 bouts), and degeiko-ing Kaisei (8 bouts), winning all of his bouts. "It was pretty good. I got to face a heavy guy as well, to get that feel," he observed. He is back to his "three days going all out, one day letting up" regime. "I wonder how far I can go for here.. at this point I'm taking it slowly" he said.

201903030000389-w500_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tochinoshin is training vigorously, for the fifth day, going 10-6 against heyamates Tochiouzan and Aoiyama. "My tachiai was good. It was good yesterday as well. I want to win. In keiko and during the basho," he said.

201903030000412-w500_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Wasn't Kisenosato winning a much higher percentage of their training bouts before he retired?

Well he's retired, and the the reason he retired is because he was unable to regain his former form, so in that sense I'm actually surprised he's still been able to dominate Takayasu as much as he has during this post-retirement training. 

On the other hand, it was the pair's epic training sessions that elevated both to their respective heights, so it bodes well for Takayasu to be able to once again train all out with Kise like he used to before all of the injuries and kyujos.

I expect a strong performance by Takayasu in Osaka on the back of these training sessions. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

There’s also a chance Araiso isn’t doing the fundamentals or working out as much. I have no basis for this, other than the basic human tendency toward not doing boring painful stuff if it can be avoided. That, and in some of pictures of practices posted here Araiso is squeaky clean and sweat free while Takayasu looks like a dirty wet sugar cookie. My forecast is Takayasu will outclass him in training in a basho or three and Araiso will start assigning other rikishi to spar with the ozeki. It’s just human nature; Araiso will do less butsugari and more paperwork as his oyakata duties grow more voluminous and he’ll stop being able to keep up in sparring so he won’t.

Hakuhou went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya, where he faced Shoudai, Yutakayama and Takarafuji for 15 bouts, 5 each,  winning them all quite easily. Before the session, returning Makuuchi veteran Toyonoshima asked him for some training advice and they were observed discussing stuff at length.

201903040000328-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 02/03/2019 at 12:11, Kintamayama said:

So he bet 500 yen on the race,. and guess what? Won 2,650,000 yen. His lucky streak continues?

Sorry for chiming in late, but I highly doubt these kind of odds.

34 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Wasn't sure if Moti was joking or not but these odds are actually possible in Japan if you do the 'sanrentan', namely getting the first three correct. If you do it in the right order, and one is an outsider, you'll be rolling in cash. Me and a mate of mine once won a shedload of cash by betting 600 yen each on a forecast based on our mothers' birthdays. ;) Even more amazing that I only go to the track about once a year with my keiba-crazy mate, but still managed to win big. I guess I am well up on the bookies...and I shall be keeping it that way. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

He got the 1-2-3 right, which is pretty rare. The numbers were quoted in more than one source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Wasn't sure if Moti was joking or not

My jokes never extend to translations, unless it's April the first.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

My jokes never extend to translations, unless it's April the first.

You could've fooled me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hakuhou went for degeiko at Oguruma beya for the Nishonoseki Ichimon rengo keiko, an Ichimon he does not belong to. He chose to focus on the two last basho yusho winners Takakeishou and Tamawashi. 29 bouts, lost the first one to Takakeishou by oshidashi, but won all the remaining 28, 17 against Takakeishou and 11 against Tamawashi. All this in half an hour. "I could have done more-I felt like I did 15 bouts and wanted to do 10 more," he said. "I lost to them both last basho so I wanted to train against them. Also, I was looking for spirited opponents and it was worth it. Takakeishou will be a force to reckon with in the future, so it was mutually important for us to train with each other,," he explained his surprise visit. "Thr March and May bashos are important because they are an end and a start to an era. I feel I need to lead. Lately i have had many injuries, but if I reach senshuraku uninjured, the results will follow," he summed.

201903050000323-w500_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Takayasu faced Ounoshou today at the Nishonoseki rengo keiko held at Oguruma beya. 10 bouts, 7-3. "My tachiai has power and I'm doing good sumo. It felt good," said Takayasu.

• Like 2

Takayasu went to Tokitsukaze beya today for degeiko, facing Ichinojou, Yutakayama and Shoudai and others for 23 bouts, going 17-6. "I decided to do as much as I could. It was good keiko," he said. "The fact i'm able to do so many training bouts is good. I'm in control of my condition and I'd like to do good keiko in the remaining days.." he summed.

Against The Itch:

sum19030615500005-p1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Not quite healthy Yokozuna Kakuryuu also went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko, also facing Shoudai and Yutakayama, winning all his 15 bouts. Quick first step, nodowa, belt grabbing and quickly pushing out-all in a day's work. "The pain is not strong enough for not doing sumo.." he said. "He wasn't pushed back and under attack at all today, so I wonder how he will do when he gets pushed back. When that happens we may see his real condition," said observing TV commentator Mainoumi.

sum19030615500004-p1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Goueidou? How is he doing? Today he lent his chest to the low rankers at home after going to Kasugano beya for the last two days to face Tochinoshin and others. "I'm working on my sharp first step. My aim is nothing less that the yusho!" he declared. He is facing a rising tide of youngsters and is already 32 years old. "I still consider myself a young guy. I can't stand losing!" he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hakuhou went to Tomozuna beya for degeiko, facing Kaisei and Juryo Kyokushuuhou and Kyokutaisei. winning all 11 bouts. He was looking good on all fonts, but with these opponents that should be expected, no? "It's not only about attacking, it's also about the defense. There was heaviness. I am grateful," he said later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou went to Tomozuna beya for degeiko, facing Kaisei and Juryo Kyokushuuhou and Kyokutaisei. winning all 11 bouts. He was looking good on all fonts, but with these opponents that should be expected, no? "It's not only about attacking, it's also about the defense. There was heaviness. I am grateful," he said later.

Hakuho even makes comic sans look good.

(A joke for the designers among you.)

• Like 3

Kakuryuu has officially declared he is in for Haru. "Of course I'm in. I have been able to do what I can do," he said. He went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko today as well.  "The last day of preparations, I feel. I didn't do many bouts (10 against Shoudai and won them all) but I was checking out my tachiai," he explained. He won last year's Haru basho. "I have that good image but now I'm in a different place. It's all about day 1. If I can go with the flow it would be great," he added.

201903070000388-w500_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Takayasu went to Tokitsukaze beya as well, facing Shoudai (9-0) and Chiyotairyuu (21-10!!) for 40 bouts in all. The Chiyotairyuu challenge was accompanied by tremendous tachiai collisions. "I'm happy I had good training opponents today. I felt I could go on and on but Chiyotairyuu, even with 31 bouts, was coming at me fiercely and I am thankful for that. If he didn't go all the way, my keiko would be worthless, and he was at me me all over the place," said Takayasu. "Tomorrow and the day after tomorrow I will be fine-tuning and taking care of myself. I still have a lot of things I need to correct with my sumo. I have to get into the details by myself, but physically, I'm fine. The main question is how to implement my own sumo during the bouts. That is what I'll be concentrating on. I can't always rely on getting my right upper hand grip, " he said wisely.

201903070000389-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I didn't do many bouts (10 against Shoudai and won them all) but I was checking out my tachiai.

Exercising tachiai against Shodai is like doing butsugari with Hattorizakura.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All the Ozeki and Yokozuna like  to train with Shodai it seems. He gets a beating every time and never take anything from it. He should check his tachiai too...

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takayasu went to Tokitsukaze beya ... for 40 bouts in all.

He was bitten by Araiso... and he got infected.