Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC convenes-Hatsu 2019

The YDC convened as usual after the end of the basho and were quite annoyed with the two remaining Yokozunae's mid-basho kyujos. "They were doing proper sumo before they went kyujo and there was no sign of any serious injury. Some members noted that it was a bit strange. The Kyokai's appointed doctor was the one who should be signing the certificates and not their individual doctors and some others said they would like to see a more objective certificate stating exactly how many days of rest they need.." said Kitamura the chairman. Regarding Kisenosato's intai: "It is really regretful he retired. We really wanted a Japanese Yokozuna but it was not to be. It was good that he decided to retire on his own. He was injured but wanted to please the fans and gambarized the best he could and in doing so acted like a real  Yokozuna!!" added the chairman. Kitamura has ended his tenure as Chairman and will be replaced by Hironori Yano. "A Yokozuna is sumo's symbol and as such should act with dignity and correctly outside the dohyo as well. I'd like them to think of themselves as the ones who are pulling Sumo forward," said the new guy. The old chairman guy lamented that all the wild stuff happened during his 2 year tenure.. "I'm glad it's over.." he said.

Col. Sanders?

g201901280000833-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Yeah. I expected them to start tightening the screws immediately after Kise’s intai. 

11 minutes ago, Qwerry said:

Yeah. I expected them to start tightening the screws immediately after Kise’s intai. 

I think in this case, they have a point.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Kitamura has ended his tenure as Chairman and will be replaced by Hironori Yano

That would be his Western-form name. It's 矢野・弘典  ( やのう・ひろのり)

....Regarding Kisenosato's intai: "It is really regretful he retired. We really wanted a Japanese Yokozuna but it was not to be.It was good that he decided to retire on his own. He was injured but wanted to please the fans and gambarized the best he could and in doing so acted like a real  Yokozuna!!" added the chairman. 201901280000833-w500_0.jpg

Yes he gambarized the best he could to try and please the fans and that is why he is no longer on the dohyo. 

It is really regretful he retired. We really wanted a Japanese Yokozuna but it was not to be.It was good that he decided to retire on his own. He was injured but wanted to please the fans and gambarized the best he could and in doing so acted like a real  Yokozuna!!" added the chairman

One has to have a wry smile at ex chairman Kitamura's statement. His love/hate relationship with Kise was the stuff of soap opera legend. In fact, if NHK ever decides to make that Kise biopic, I definitely think they should include this guy and his endless cheers of "ganbare Kise" and "I think you should retire Kise"... would make great filler. The fact that he's glad it's all over says it all really. (I wonder who he's really glad for.. himself? Or Kise?)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I think in this case, they have a point.

The problem is that it will make the NSK difficult to promote the next (Japan-born) yokozuna.

"They were doing proper sumo before they went kyujo and there was no sign of any serious injury. Some members noted that it was a bit strange.

So they also considered that losing 3 in streak after winning 10 in streak was strange for Hakuho. However, his losses and withdrawing revived the basho, otherwise the basho would be a very boring one. 

2 hours ago, Atenzan said:

That would be his Western-form name. It's 矢野・弘典  ( やのう・ひろのり)

Since we are a Western forum, I go with that. Just like nobody in the west writes Osaka Naomi. Another age-old discussion regarding what is correct... Only mistake was it should have been  Yanou. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Since we are a Western forum, I go with that. Just like nobody in the west writes Osaka Naomi. Another age-old discussion regarding what is correct... Only mistake was it should have been  Yanou. 

Personally I agree- I only go surname-first if I know that everyone who is reading/listening speaks some Japanese. I was just posting to clarify, since no member of the forum would ever refer to Akinori Asashouryuu. Shikonae are a different beast. 

21 minutes ago, Atenzan said:

Personally I agree- I only go surname-first if I know that everyone who is reading/listening speaks some Japanese. I was just posting to clarify, since no member of the forum would ever refer to Akinori Asashouryuu. Shikonae are a different beast. 

I agree, but this is not a shikona. It's the guy's name. Hence the writing.

Should have been what, ya know?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Should have been what, ya know?

At first i was puzzled, too. He meant the name of the new chairman Hironori Yano

Of course it still could just be the japanese version of cofveve. 

4 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Of course it still could just be the japanese version of cofveve. 

It's not what you know.  It's who?  Yanou.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Atenzan said:

It is like applying latin noun declention rules to romanised japanese names after all :-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Even that is debatable. I've also seen it rendered Yanoh, and I have a friend of the same name who herself writes it in English as "Yano". Not that any of this is even remotely important...

6 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Even that is debatable. I've also seen it rendered Yanoh, and I have a friend of the same name who herself writes it in English as "Yano". Not that any of this is even remotely important...

Of course, but constant with my stubborn system, I go with the direct translation of the hiragana, as i do when I mention all the rikishiou. So Yanou, even if he himself goes with Constantinopolous..

• Like 1

The internet is bustling with negative thoughts regarding the YDC's assessment.  "This is what you have to say about the 2 Mongolian Yokozuna, while you are praising Kisenosato?" asked one incredulous fan. The famed Mr. Takasu of the Takasu clinic said that the injury Hakuhou was coming off of takes some time to heal, as it causes a drop in physical strength and that there was no way Hakuhou was returning healthy, and that his kyujo is probably related to the old injury flaring up. "It's not some light injury. You should be treating him like you are treating Kisenosato, with the same kindness.. " he summed. "Where is the respect towards the two remaining Yokozuna??" asked someone else.

One reporter said that Hakuhou re-injured the knee he had surgery on day 4 and after the match had to lean on a reporter to get to his car. From this point on the pain became stronger. "What do they want from Hakuhou? They should be blaming the people that promoted Kisenosato forcibly because of his popularity, like Hakkaku rijicho and others, and the YDC for playing along," said the reporter.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Wait...are you trying to say a bunch of old Japanese guys are harder on foreigners than on Japanese guys? 

Well, I never...

</sarcasm>

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"What do they want from Hakuhou? They should be blaming the people that promoted Kisenosato forcibly because of his popularity, like Hakkaku rijicho and others, and the YDC for playing along," said the reporter.

Trying to say that Kisenosato didn't deserve promotion because of the fact that he would get injured the next basho is not a great argument.  Kisenosato had been competing at Yokozuna levels for much of his time at Ozeki, he just didn't have a Yusho.  And the fact that he won the next tournament after his promotion should have made everyone realize that the promotion would have happened anyway, so why get bent out of shape about it being one tournament early?  That reporter is an idiot.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Trying to say that Kisenosato didn't deserve promotion because of the fact that he would get injured the next basho is not a great argument.  Kisenosato had been competing at Yokozuna levels for much of his time at Ozeki, he just didn't have a Yusho.  And the fact that he won the next tournament after his promotion should have made everyone realize that the promotion would have happened anyway, so why get bent out of shape about it being one tournament early?  That reporter is an idiot.

I don't consider Kisenosato was a better Ozeki than Kaio. Both of them were excellent ozeki but marginally of yokozuna level. That's why it took so long for Kise to achieve a yusho. Once a rikishi is on yokozuna rank, everyone will go hard on him in honbasho and the yokozuna has to use all he has to defend his rank. If he is of marginal level of yokozuna, he tends to be injured. Almost all short-lasted or mediocre yokozuna were because of either late promotion or frequent injury. 

Kisenosato always did well in prebasho keiko, e.g. before this basho in the prebasho keiko, he prevailed over Takayasu and Takakeishou, and did decently well before the YDC. I don't think his keiko opponents were deliberately mukyrioku. They just did not use all their strength to avoid injury. Honbasho is completely different, just as Kitanofuji said.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dapeng said:

I don't think his keiko opponents were deliberately mukyrioku.

A certain site that *talks* *sumo* will actually disagree with that. 

2 hours ago, Atenzan said:

A certain site that *talks* *sumo* will actually disagree with that. 

Yes, we (ex)Talkies are over the top to varying degree, nevertheless everyone with two healthy eyes should have been able to see that Kisenosato had bouts handed to him left and right. Hence, his Ozeki promotion and "Yokozuna-like" figures. The injury just made it impossible to keep up the act, unless everyone would have gone the Baruto-Chyotaikai-Force-way.

Flame me, I don't care.

Edited by yorikiried by fate

Some were saying the YDC actually caused Kisenosato to retire by issuing that "encouragement" before the basho, thereby pressuring an injured Kisenosato to enter the basho, ultimately causing the end result of intai. "There are people who say that but it isn't so. Basically, all that happened was  his own decision, and that's good," said Kitamura ex-chairman.

• Like 1

Seen it enough times to have gotten annoying– it’s “mukiryoku” not “mukyrioku”. Too lazy to quote.

• Haha 1