Yatagarasu

Takekaze Retires

31 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Have I understood this correctly?  Has Takekaze announced his intai?  :(

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190122-00000036-sph-spo 

I believe so, especially given that his elder name is in the headline.  I didn't know what it was until I looked it up, and it's amusing that it starts with "Oshi-" - same kanji too.  But I'm not a native speaker and haven't read the entire thing - the headline just says he made a decision about retirement.

Edited by Gurowake

11 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

I believe so, especially given that his elder name is in the headline.  I didn't know what it was until I looked it up, and it's amusing that it starts with "Oshi-" - same kanji too.  But I'm not a native speaker and haven't read the entire thing - the headline just says he made a decision about retirement.

It might just say he's decided to retire if he gets a ninth loss.  That might be the "decision".  I'm having trouble figuring it out precisely.  The last sentence of the first paragraph might say he's going to be kyujo from Day 10, which is an odd way of saying things in English at least if he's retiring, but "kyujo" really just means absence, not injury.

Edited by Gurowake

2 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

It might just say he's decided to retire if he gets a ninth loss.  That might be the "decision".  I'm having trouble figuring it out precisely.

He's decided.

• Sad 1

Just now, Kamitsuumi said:

He's decided.

Thanks, I was going to show my wife who is Japanese, you saved me from the annoyed to translate something look. (Laughing...)

• Haha 2

from taichiai.org, quoting Sports Hochi

Takekaze decides to retire

39 years old veteran Takekaze, after having finalized his make-koshi on day 9, was faced with a drop to Makushita (which would have been all but certain with a 9th loss).

Yesterday he said “I didn’t get here alone so I cannot make the decision alone”, but apparently he consulted with the powers that be, and came to the decision to retire.

Takekaze joined sumo in Natsu 2002 as a Makushita tsukedashi. He made his debut in Makuuchi in Haru 2003 and had no less that 590 wins there.

Takekaze owns a kabu, and will remain in the NSK as Oshiogawa oyakata.

It is not clear as yet whether he will retire immediately or at the end of the basho.

a link to the source material at Sports Hochi (in Japanese)

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This wouldn't have been reported by the press at this point at all if there was any uncertainty about when he's planning to retire. (But the folks at Tachiai can't know that, I guess...)

Anyway, Nikkan Sports from a few minutes ago makes it 100% clear that he's retired as of today. Here's hoping for a long and fruitful oyakata career for the new Oshiogawa. (The kabu's been unused for long enough...)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rock steady 100 basho career. Only dropping to Juryo at the start and the end of his career and even then only 3 times. On top of that a great guy from a great heya. No complaints there. Good luck Oyakata, and thanks! (Applauding...)(Clappingwildly...)(Singingdrunk...)(Iamnotworthy...)

• Like 1

Congrats on a wonderful long career full of fighting spirit Takekaze! Often the shortest rikishi in the top division, he still managed to pull off 86 basho in the top division (~14 years worth!), including a kinboshi, jun-yusho, and 2 kanto-sho while reaching a high rank of Sekiwake. Thanks for the years of entertainment and best wishes on a long career as a successful Oyakata.  

• Like 2

For years I couldn't really tell Takekaze and Yoshikaze apart. In the last half dozen years their careers have diverged, with Yoshikaze having a late renaissance and spending much of the time in the sanyaku and jo'i. I can't say I'll miss Takekaze, as his style of fighting was replete with henka and pull-downs, although I admire him both for staying competitive for so long and knowing when to retire.

1 hour ago, ScreechingOwl said:

... his style of fighting was replete with henka and pull-downs,

during his declining years.  In his prime, he was a human cannonball. If he kept going forward out of the tachiai, he won.  If he stalled, he lost.  He was fun to watch.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Asojima said:

during his declining years.  In his prime, he was a human cannonball. If he kept going forward out of the tachiai, he won.  If he stalled, he lost.  He was fun to watch.

Indeed. I always liked him. This retirement has been coming for awhile, but it's still a little sad.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting this into a separate thread; since I wasn't 100% sure, I didn't want to until someone confirmed it.  

He seemed like a nice chap and I enjoyed watching him, though of course he has been on the wane for a while now. Though I will miss him, I think he picked the right moment to bow out and now invest his experience into the future of sumo.  Hope he does well as an oyakata.

Hadn't had chance to get on the forum this morning, so the first I heard was the announcement during juryo. Can't say I was shocked...more relieved that he decided to retire whilst still sekitori. He was, as others said, great fun to watch..his moments on gappuri soken (think that's how you spell it lol) were hilarious and he seemed an amicable lad....wish him all the best for the future, and I'm glad he's not leaving us for good:-)

I enjoyed a lot his sumo. His fighting spirit.

Good luck for the future.

11 hours ago, Asojima said:

This must be so long ago, [my] memory of it seems dreamlike. And I'm not sure if the dream shows Takekaze indeed, or maybe Kakizoe, parts of Hokutoriki and a sprinkle of Toyohibiki (when the charge finally fails face down on the ground). I also remember once writing something generically stupid like "On a good day, Takekaze can beat anyone!", for which I feel ashamed to this day.

So I kind of screech with the owl for seeing Takakaze mostly as some push-pull-henka perfectionist. Nevertheless, he was inventory, so all the best.

From the archives:

fcr3g7.png

I think if you announce you're intending to retire that's it, they won't let you back on the dohyo, as Konishiki discovered to his cost. No such thing as "I will retire at the end of this basho."

I'll miss Takekaze. I think the most interesting thing about him was his total avoidance of that obscure kimarite, yori-kiri, as this post from 2016 makes clear.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I think if you announce you're intending to retire that's it, they won't let you back on the dohyo, as Konishiki discovered to his cost. No such thing as "I will retire at the end of this basho."

Lower ranked rikishi, such as Satoyama, announce they will retire at the end of the basho. They are given flowers as they leave the dohyo for the last time.

23 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Lower ranked rikishi, such as Satoyama, announce they will retire at the end of the basho. They are given flowers as they leave the dohyo for the last time.

Not to go too off-topic but do you have a quote? They may well let it be known to their oyakata and heya mates who could arrange for flowers to be around the hanamichi. I'm talking about a public announcement to the press. His intai thread says, "Satoyama has announced his intai after his last bout of Kyūshū basho 2018."

6 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Not to go too off-topic but do you have a quote? They may well let it be known to their oyakata and heya mates who could arrange for flowers to be around the hanamichi. I'm talking about a public announcement to the press. His intai thread says, "Satoyama has announced his intai after his last bout of Kyūshū basho 2018."

You are correct. I should have said, a rikishi will, privately, announce his retirement, effective after his last bout, after the torikumi is published. Is that ok?

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

Further to that, while the beat reporters aren't above speculating about retirements, if they do they'll put it in terms along the lines of "retirement crisis looms" or "avoiding demotion will be difficult now" (translation: the rikishi already has enough losses to get sent down). For mere speculation they decidedly do not write "it has become known that X will retire" or "X is expected to not compete in tomorrow's scheduled match", as the initial Takekaze report both had it - that's just the writer being circumspect in his choice of words because he's scooping the official announcement.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Further to that, while the beat reporters aren't above speculating about retirements, if they do they'll put it in terms along the lines of "retirement crisis looms" or "avoiding demotion will be difficult now" (translation: the rikishi already has enough losses to get sent down). For mere speculation they decidedly do not write "it has become known that X will retire" or "X is expected to not compete in tomorrow's scheduled match", as the initial Takekaze report both had it - that's just the writer being circumspect in his choice of words because he's scooping the official announcement.

Any idea why the Kyokai does that? Is it a Japanese thing?

Today the intai press conference in the hotel Ryogoku - this makes it a bit uncertain if the NSK will post the video later in full - Kisenosato and Satoyama had it in the kokugikan

b_12002744.jpgo

with Oguruma-oyakata

20190123s00005000222000p_thum.jpgo

201901230000374-w200_0.jpgob_12002808.jpgo

20190123-OHT1I50080-N.jpgo b_12002809.jpgo

with the family

s.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6