specialweek 2

Kisenosato intai

Some grab a copy of Sunday sports tonight, another interview coming up. 

Both Satoyama and Kisenosato get reported with about 300 cutters - the low number of (ex-)NSK members for Kisenosato surprised me - only Shibatayama/Onokuni from the executives, sempai Wakanosato and 3 more oyakata to make it 5 and also just 5 rikishi - the 2 yokozuna, Takayasu, Kotoshogiku and Toyonoshima.

A few more ex-yokozuna had a cut, but many were missing: Taka was not even on schedule, Asashoryu didn't arrive and I think also Kitanofuji was absent - cutters were Mienoumi, Harumafuji and Waka - again 5 planned. Tochinoumi apparently not on the list, and from the NSK neither Hokutoumi nor Asahifuji nor Musashimaru - ichimon policy? Other ex-riksihi maybe less than 5, Takanowaka was one.

EFowclMUUAEwvbM.jpg:thumbo

More videos appeared: youtube&q=稀勢の里 (seems YT lists results again in the desired chronological order)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Both Satoyama and Kisenosato get reported with about 300 cutters - the low number of (ex-)NSK members for Kisenosato surprised me - only Shibatayama/Onokuni from the executives, sempai Wakanosato and 3 more oyakata to make it 5 and also just 5 rikishi - the 2 yokozuna, Takayasu, Kotoshogiku and Toyonoshima.

A few more ex-yokozuna had a cut, but many were missing: Taka was not even on schedule, Asashoryu didn't arrive and I think also Kitanofuji was absent - cutters were Mienoumi, Harumafuji and Waka - again 5 planned. Tochinoumi apparently not on the list, and from the NSK neither Hokutoumi nor Asahifuji nor Musashimaru - ichimon policy? Other ex-riksihi maybe less than 5, Takanowaka was one.

EFowclMUUAEwvbM.jpg:thumbo

More videos appeared: youtube&q=稀勢の里 (seems YT lists results again in the desired chronological order)

Onokuni because he was the one who taught Kisenosato the dohyo-iri

Maybe this thread could be moved to the Ozumo Discussions forum, it took me a while to find it.

It is so weird to see Harumafuji and Kisenosato with their hair not only short, but parted. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Maybe this thread could be moved to the Ozumo Discussions forum, it took me a while to find it.

I suggested this a long while ago; no one seemed interested. 

Edited by Jakusotsu
Done.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 17/01/2019 at 11:48, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato took on the toshiyori name Araiso. Kyokai rules demand that he stays 1 year as heya attached oyakata before he can become independent and open a heya - and he may do so already for the Olympics. Since nearly 1 year ago he is looking for premises - somewhere between Akihabara and Asakusabashi station is seen as likely - not many sumo-beya there, but the AKB48 headquarters - it may turn out to be called AKB=Akiba-beya. http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20190116-OHT1T50183.html

The weekly taishu tabloid estimates that Araiso earned a profit of around 150 million yen with his danpatsu-shiki event. The kokugikan was packed with about 11 000 spectators - that should have been enough to pay for all events of the day. The party was at the Prince Hotel Shintakanawa. with admission fee of 30 000 yen - and over 1500 attended = 45 million. To have a cut, a congratulatory gift of at least 300 000yen had been asked for. A bit over 280 had one (about 300 were reported), so we have 100 million for sure - many of the really rich tanimachi surely gave a much bigger sum.

It is expected that Araiso will get independent next year and he is searching for heya premises, he needs that money (much more of course). As mentioned earlier in the thread, he's having talk-shows and events all the time, which also earn him some sums. But that he will be able to finance a location in Akihabara is seen as very unlikely, according to a comment by one of his funding tanamachi.   http://taishu.jp/articles/-/69077?page=1

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

150M in total? Or 150M from tickets + 45M party + 100M snippy? However, even 150M equal €1.25M or $1.4M. In Ginza he could buy about 4m². Why not Meguro? 700.000.000 yen for a complete 717m² building, sounds like a bargain (Laughing...)

Edited by Benihana

3 minutes ago, Benihana said:

150M in total? Or 150M from tickets + 45M party + 100M snippy?

150M profit - the tickets paid for the costs

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

[...] But that he will be able to finance a location in Akihabara is seen as very unlikely, according to a comment by one of his funding tanamachi.   http://taishu.jp/articles/-/69077?page=1

Does any aritcle give a hint why exactly Araiso wants to settle in that particular district? I mean, it might attract a few Otaku-kids or amateur rikishi, who attach great importance to tumbling from the keiko-ground into the next arcade hall. ;-)(Futeno...)

On a side note: A quick look at the sumo stable map shows, that the majority of the newly founded heya (2013 - present) set up their premises a bit away from the sumo epicenter (Ryogoku area) - probably due to to financial reasons.

42 minutes ago, Raishu said:

Does any aritcle give a hint why exactly Araiso wants to settle in that particular district? I mean, it might attract a few Otaku-kids or amateur rikishi, who attach great importance to tumbling from the keiko-ground into the next arcade hall.

No article mentions why - the news originally seem to come from hochi http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20190116-OHT1T50183.html and anything else I found basically cites from that - maybe the wide shows had more speculations, but I don't remember reports from the time - there apparently were several, but I doubt many can be found anymore - I found only this with bad audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5g1gbmkBC

The Osumo3 site mentions that the heya of sempai Nishiiwa is nearby and the kokugikan is not far away. https://osumou3.com/araqisobeyakousou/#toc1

To me it seems like a PR gag for Araiso to show off. Even if he will probably get the most sponsor support any oyakata ever got, the heya will always be close to bankruptcy with the cost of the location. Osumo3 mentions that the heya will have no chanko-ban but employ a cook - that goes in the same direction.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

No article mentions why - the news originally seem to come from hochi http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20190116-OHT1T50183.html and anything else I found basically cites from that - maybe the wide shows had more speculations, but I don't remember reports from the time - there apparently were several, but I doubt many can be found anymore - I found only this with bad audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5g1gbmkBC

The Osumo3 site mentions that the heya of sempai Nishiiwa is nearby and the kokugikan is not far away. https://osumou3.com/araqisobeyakousou/#toc1

To me it seems like a PR gag for Araiso to show off. Even if he will probably get the most sponsor support any oyakata ever got, the heya will always be close to bankruptcy with the cost of the location. Osumo3 mentions that the heya will have no chanko-ban but employ a cook - that goes in the same direction.

Allright, thank you for your detailed report.

As you wrote, a lot of speculation and no clear hints at all (especially the cook-thingy adds some kind of ridculousness to it).

Crazy idea: Maybe he can buy or temporarily rent the premise from the Izutsu heirs, unless they want to use it privately? (Nishikido beya occupies the old Takasago building AFAIK - but they belong to the same ichimon, so different situation).

On 07/10/2019 at 19:23, Akinomaki said:

It is expected that Araiso will get independent next year and he is searching for heya premises, he needs that money (much more of course). As mentioned earlier in the thread, he's having talk-shows and events all the time, which also earn him some sums. But that he will be able to finance a location in Akihabara is seen as very unlikely, according to a comment by one of his funding tanamachi.   http://taishu.jp/articles/-/69077?page=1

I think the Taito city area is ripe, mainly residential with a good mix of commercial buildings along the main road. Plus his deshi will probably bike/walk to the kokugikan like Nishiiwa’s. Will keep an eye out on my walks through the neighbourhood. 

On 07/10/2019 at 13:23, Akinomaki said:

The weekly taishu tabloid estimates that Araiso earned a profit of around 150 million yen with his danpatsu-shiki event. The kokugikan was packed with about 11 000 spectators - that should have been enough to pay for all events of the day. The party was at the Prince Hotel Shintakanawa. with admission fee of 30 000 yen - and over 1500 attended = 45 million. To have a cut, a congratulatory gift of at least 300 000yen had been asked for. A bit over 280 had one (about 300 were reported), so we have 100 million for sure - many of the really rich tanimachi surely gave a much bigger sum.

The slightly more reliable RealLife net tabloid has some other figures and speculations.

The official admission fee for having a cut was 100 000 yen, taishu only had mentioned that the cutters had been told, at least 300 000 were expected. RealLife gives as the earnings from ticket sales after paying the rent etc. for the kokugikan as roughly 100 million yen - that would mean an average ticket price of more than 10 000 yen - the many B and C seat tickets are much cheaper, so this figure is a bit high, even with the recent increase in ticket prices. In any case, it might have been more than the costs to organize the whole event and pay for the party. RealLife also mentions 40 million yen as the estimated merit bonus for Kisenosato - the rijikai decides the sum of this bonus and it is no longer made public.

They arrive at 170 million yen profit for Kise - RealLife ignored the other costs for the event, and the profit from the party.

For the hurdle left for Kise on the way to heya owner, they quote his father about the quest for an okamisan, from shortly after the yokozuna promotion of his son: "She has to pass (the test of) my (critical) eyes. She mustn't butt in and should not (be the type to only) like (expensive) brands."

Finally about the task to assemble deshi: Hakuho already has successful uchi-deshi, Kise  should travel the country to search and scout (at the moment he seems to be mainly on event tour).

http://npn.co.jp/article/detail/42318169/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Sorry to be commenting well after the fact...

I was happy to see that Harumafuji took part in Kisenosato's danpatsushiki!  Clearly, there are no hard feelings.  In fact, Kisenosato had mentioned Harumafuji by name in his retirement announcement back in January, so one can assume that they respected each other.  

Also, a number of women called out Harumafuji's name after it was announced.  His popularity is still strong!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Sorry to be commenting well after the fact...

I was happy to see that Harumafuji took part in Kisenosato's danpatsushiki!  Clearly, there are no hard feelings.  In fact, Kisenosato had mentioned Harumafuji by name in his retirement announcement back in January, so one can assume that they respected each other.  

Also, a number of women called out Harumafuji's name after it was announced.  His popularity is still strong!

I wonder if those women also create fanfic contents. 

• Confused 1