specialweek 2

Kisenosato intai

13 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201901310000508.html

Kise made his first appearance in a suit for the toshiyori meeting on 1/31.

There's also a rumour he will give commentary a go.....

https://www.nikkansports.com/m/battle/sumo/news/201901280000964_m.html

• Like 2

Retired Yokozuna Kisenosato (Araiso Oyakata) has started his coaching duties at Tagonoura beya today.He wore a new white training mawashi. "You've got to repeat your movements many times and it will get you there. I want you all to get stronger and I'd like to motivate you towards that goal," he said to the rikishi. He was trained very strictly by his old Oyakata, Naruto. He was asked if he would be strict as well. ."Well, today's generation is different so I'll have to adjust to that.." he said.

BsIY-uU9z_E37HMvOHTURfYf18dG6f3yYwH8Lmv5XAYwTMQggvLyckyxIXb3bpHggbQyhLIHF6zn_nbP9mSHQLGIDvK1qc689q23Q_pNZkEZwVRcgajy2bEMAHeugtA=w5000-h5000

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

BsIY-uU9z_E37HMvOHTURfYf18dG6f3yYwH8Lmv5XAYwTMQggvLyckyxIXb3bpHggbQyhLIHF6zn_nbP9mSHQLGIDvK1qc689q23Q_pNZkEZwVRcgajy2bEMAHeugtA=w5000-h5000

Takayasu " Wait...I'm still your bro right? Bro?"

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

“To think I let you win all those matches before tournaments and now you tell me how I should gambarize. Well, I never...”

• Haha 9

22 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

When your buddy who used to do all that crazy shit with you suddenly becomes Assistant Hall Monitor ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

The new Araiso Oyakata took part in the Nishonoseki Ichimon New Year's party held today. Participating was the new Oshiogawa (ex- Takakekaze) and about 80 sekitori, gyoji and tokoyama. Now there are no less than 30 Oyakata in the Ichimon, counting those that joined last autumn. It was a private affair closed to the public, but rumors say Kisenosato was singing "Startline"  a hit by Toshihide Baba. but the big surprise was at the end, when some sekitori led by Yoshikaze flung the 177 kilo Ex- Kisenosato in the air , three times. Takadagawa Oyakata , ex Akinoshima who is  usually a somber person, was laughing and visibly astonished, saying "We guys would never dream of doing that.."  Now, I hope someone got a picture of THAT..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Now, I hope someone got a picture of THAT..

I presume you mean: we all hope that the photo gets leaked! ;-)

I think in the spirit of Kisenosato we should take 8 basho to reach a decision on whether to move this thread to Ozumo Discussions. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

I’m the spirit of the YDC we should let this thread stay too long before moving it, then move it and harshly criticize all the threads left.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Am I the only one who thinks Araiso oyakata ought to be in prison for breach of public trust rather than Carlos Ghosn?!

Kisenosato interview- very interesting..

Q: What was your mental state when you retired?

A: As Kisenosato, I had no regrets. As Hagiwara (his real name) I have a lot of regrets.  Because I love sumo, the fact that I can't do it anymore is sad. I wanted to continue till I was 40.

Q: Please reflect on your 17 years of sumo.

A: If you look at the last part the results were pathetic so I had to retire, but I joined the very strict Naruto beya and made it to Juryo very quickly. Looking at the whole of my career, I had a good sumo life and am very happy about it.

Q: Your thoughts on your Yokozuna promotion?

A: The moment I first put on the tsuna rope,  I was so happy that all my emotions exploded at once..I felt an indescribable burden. As a Japanese, it was the ultimate feeling. I was constantly in a dream state-the dohyo iri, everything- I was truly happy. I guess the fact I managed to become a Yokozuna is why I have no regrets..

Q: The injury you got in your first basho as a Yokozuna-the left pectoral muscle- that was serious..

A: In my bout against Harumafuji on day 13 I heard a snapping sound. I was aiming for a left tsukiotoshi -I will never forget that sound. It felt like my left arm got detached from my body. The pain was great accordingly, and there was a detachment..

Q: Your entry  two bashos after your injury backfired.

A: Up to that point, I missed only one day of sumo my entire career, so I couldn't grasp the idea of sitting out. If I would have known that I'd sit out 4 more bashos and decide  Hatsu was the decisive basho.. If I could turn back time, I'd like to go back two years to April. I would then think  carefully about undergoing surgery or not.

Q: What was your state of mind when you decided that January would be the make or break basho?

A: I usually fall asleep two seconds after I get into my futon.. I could hardly sleep before the basho. I used to  dream I bought a suit (a sign of retirement..) and wake up sweating.  "Not true, not true!! Not good , not good!", I would tell myself.

Q: Still, before the basho you said you were in good shape.

A: I had to sound optimistic, and I guess I was running away from the truth. There were nights when the thought that I  would not be able to continue doing sumo I love so much scared me so that I would sigh heavily.

Q: You were Yokozuna for two years.

A: It took me 15 years to become Yokozuna, but these last two years seemed longer..Being a Yokozuna is something special. It was a different world..

Q: What do you want your rikishi to be like?

A: Like the image of rikishi in the past. I don't want them going on TV and on the internet making fools of themselves. I'd like them to quietly go about their sumo lives and become famous, like the rikishi form the Showa era.

Q: What is your image of yourself as an Oyakata?

A: As opposed to when I was active, I will be voicing my opinions and thoughts, because if I don't, I will be letting down the parents who sent their kids to the heya into our custody. It's important to voice my opinion. I shall gambarize for the sake of the Kyokai and for the sake of the active rikishi. It's important to learn, so i'm buying a lot of books on philosophy, novels and education.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 19

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

What about it? 

the link to it?

I think he was asking @Kintamayama if you, by any chance, could provide the source / primary text your translation is based on.

Thank you for the translation, btw. I truly hope Araiso Oyakata has learnt from Yokozuna Kisenosato's mistakes regarding injury treatment. His statements make me hope so. 

On 19/01/2019 at 15:11, Akinomaki said:

the NSK has posted the complete intai press conference of Kisenosato on their new channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGT4HuW23m4

On 16/01/2019 at 17:59, Akinomaki said:

Maybe the longest intai press conference ever

"Not a thread of regret in my life on the dohyo"

On 19/01/2019 at 20:12, Akinomaki said:

Due to increased interest in the manga about Kise, it is again for free on the app of MangaHot till the end of this month 

On 30/06/2017 at 23:43, Akinomaki said:
On 11/05/2017 at 15:47, Akinomaki said:

Kisenosato not only has a manga kesho mawashi set, he now also gets a manga about himself, working title: "Kisenosato monogatari."

On 25/05/2017 at 08:53, Akinomaki said:

"The Raou of the sumo world" - so his features are like in the manga Hokuto-no-ken

And the final title of the story is: Yokozuna Raou-legend Kisenosato

And those words of Kise in the intai press conference he took from the motto of his "hero" Rao: "Not a thread of regret in my lifetime" http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM1R5GJ2M1RTIPE01V.html

The Kise manga has the climax in the debilitating miracle yusho - I have to admit I was a bit more than just close to tears, all the people in the manga were fully in tears - and not to be continued

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Our next model hails from Ibaraki Prefecture, and wears a size 6 NSK jacket.

You know, I'm surprised and impressed!  His jacket and pants fit, and he seems to move pretty easily in them.  Not at all the "walrus in a cardigan" look that so many rikishi have when they have to transition back into street clothes.

• Haha 1

Going to the Hak Classic presumably. Not in the best of moods.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 2