Asojima

Hatsu Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

For this little over 2 years I have been following sumo closely, I must say that this basho has so far been most groundshaking for me. Being so used to same names being at the top battle, watching top guys after another losing makes me just... :-O :-O :-O And feeling so bad for Kise, I was hoping him to do a bit of feenix from his injury, but his face after every loss... :-(

But I'm trying to focus on positive sides, so: Goooo Mita! Goooo Hokuto! Looking nice Kotoeko... ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

That's a good point.  I can't recall clearly, but I have the impression that the Emperor and Empress often arrive part way through the Top Division bouts.  Like you, I hope they arrive in time to view the Yokozuna dohyoiri. :-)

I am not talking about the yokozuna dohyo-iri but about the regular makuuchi dohyo-iri which follows a different pattern when the emperor is there. I guess theoretically for Juryo dohyo-iri as well. Rikishi do not circle around the tawara but stand towards the emperor in a shonichi kyokai go-aisatsu style

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Tokyo police are hunting a bald man seen running out of the arena clutching the zori to his chest while loudly proclaiming himself president of the International Konosuke Appreciation Society.

Brilliant! I'd like to donate 20 likes.

In fact, the story of Kisenosato will be famous and legendary.

Not ternish by rumour or mud, it's the story of a great warrior. He worked so hard during ten years to be a great ozeki who defends the japanese ways of ozumo and show moral rectitude. When finally he succeed, the desingenius gods hurt him.

The accomplishment of a life only last a couple of seconds. And then, the dream became a long decline.

All the elements of a greek drama, or a romantic wagnerian story, are gather.

Isn't Kisenosato a romantic guy ?

Isn't his story the most touching of the XXI century ?

Chateaubriand, sort de mon corps !

Edited by Umizoi
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

I am not talking about the yokozuna dohyo-iri but about the regular makuuchi dohyo-iri which follows a different pattern when the emperor is there. I guess theoretically for Juryo dohyo-iri as well. Rikishi do not circle around the tawara but stand towards the emperor in a shonichi kyokai go-aisatsu style

I have never witnessed that special dohyoiri "pattern".  Do you happen to know the last time it was performed that way?

wow! beautiful day! sometimes, even at good days of sumo i got hunger to see more yutso! Today (im in the other side of the word and its 15/1 here) i am stuffed.

kaisei-Endo; my favorite bout ever. My homie breaking the pretty boy's morozashi... f* priceless. lllllloved it!

Hak-Ichi; extra nice battle between two of my favs.

Mita-Goeido, Tochi-Myogi... Lots of good belt action...On the oshi side Tama-Sato; real change of guards. Sato proved that he can handle a hard tsupari on the cheek. 

Speaking of Sato, i guess his yusho light a fire in some of the guys AHs* Aoiyama, Kaisei, Hokuto, Misspigi, they are all like; "man, if that little bugger can do it..."

Things are definitely  changing! the ozeki squad is stinking bad, Kak dont look genki and Kise...Well...Dont worth a comment...The new era is rising.

Jikan desssss....(KimuraZatoichi...)

@Umizoi True. I remember Kisenosato when I first attended a basho in Natsu 2004 and he was still the bright new star of Juryo called Hagiwara. He was already overshadowed by his rival Kotooshu then, soon to be promoted to Ozeki while Kisenosato was still struggling to adapt to his new shikona.

I grew to detach myself from the hype, giving way to disappointment, but that follow-up yusho after his long-awaited and shaky promotion to Yokozuna earned my sincere respect. It's a cruel twist of fate that he got fatally injured in the act.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I have never witnessed that special dohyoiri "pattern".  Do you happen to know the last time it was performed that way?

It happens on this video here, not sure of the year...but if you keep watching you will see the rikishi and gyoji face the royal seats...

https://youtu.be/cuyCs6r-NO0

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

It happens on this video here, not sure of the year...but if you keep watching you will see the rikishi and gyoji face the royal seats...

Fascinating.  It looked to me as though the first gyoji and the Makuuchi wrestlers were a little confused as to exactly when to go up onto the dohyo.  It's not as though they perform this variation on a regular basis.  

The year was 2002 (which was well before I started following sumo ;-)) and that was the crown prince and princess.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

https://youtu.be/cuyCs6r-NO0

This is Aki 2002. Mushashimaru's last yusho. Takanohana's return after surgery and last full tournament

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the additional dates and info Amamaniac, Nantonoyama, much appreciated.

That video is a wonderful time capsule, and one that parallels a lot of today's basho perhaps?

Which begs the question: was 2002 really the last time for that kind of dohyo-iri?

Edit: I remember it being much more frequent in the days of Eurosport broadcast

Edited by Jakusotsu

9 hours ago, Michishige said:

It’s good to see Chiyonokuni back in good form. I always saw him as the little engine that could, looking solid even with a 3-12 record in the joi. Injuries had a big impact for a bit, but he’s looking better this basho. 

I like Chiyonokuni but he usually does well at this level.  He is quick but seems too "light" ...

21 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

That video is a wonderful time capsule, and one that parallels a lot of today's basho perhaps?

Asashoryu had just been promoted to Ozeki, but Hakuho missed out as he was still down in the Sandanme Dvision.  It was particularly fun to see the Olympic Ojisan in his regular boxed seat, fan in hand, but no golden top hat.

Kise continues to look like an ordinary rikishi.   If he continues, I seriously doubt if he can get KK.   Getting 8 wins seems like a stretch, a long stretch.   This is the end ...

Takakeisho is dead set against proving Kintanayama wrong.   I say he is an yusho contender at this point with most of Ozeki & Yoko (all by Hak) showing nothing at all.   

Despite 3-0 start by Mita, I have this nagging suspicion that he will start to waiver, starting with Takakeisho bout on day 4.   Prove me wrong, Mita!

Then, the early collapse of Ozeki & Yoko has taken the spotlight of the basho.   Nothing else seems to be worth talking about it after 0-3 start by Kise, and 1-8 start by the 3 Ozeki.  

Edited by robnplunder

20 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I like Chiyonokuni but he usually does well at this level.  He is quick but seems too "light" ...

Not anymore. He has gained weight, he has put behind that nagging injuries, and he's on a mission, I hope.

My heart goes out to Kisenosato.

It was great to see Hakuho fight a series of mini-battles with Ichinojo en route to getting his grip and taking him down.

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

New sanyaku gyoji Kimura Konosuke made his Yokozuna dohyo-iri debut, but did so with a zori on his left foot only. The other one went missing at some point between the shitaku-beya and the dohyo.

Tokyo police are hunting a bald man seen running out of the arena clutching the zori to his chest while loudly proclaiming himself president of the International Konosuke Appreciation Society.

OK not really - a yobidashi retrieved the stray zori and returned it to its right(ful) foot.

I wonder if those zori with the tsuna-style straps are worn only for Yokozuna dohyo-iri. It would be a nice touch but I can't say I've ever paid any attention to that before.

yCzQSqHm_o.jpg

Another casualty was Kimura Motoki's outfit, which had to be sent for cleaning after some of Ikioi's copious claret ended up on it. Meanwhile on Day 2 the bloodletting resumed down in Jonidan courtesy of Ogitora (not the fault of Kagayaki though).

FAtK3Irk_o.jpg

Kuchizake-rikishi; he appears in the darkened halls of the Kokugikan and asks "do you think I'm genki?"

• Haha 1

Does anybody know the identity of the bearded, bespectacled, Caucasian gentleman resembling a college professor who frequently sits in the front row, usually on the East side during basho at the Kokugikan? 

Yesterday he sat directly behind the seated rikishi at the foot of the dohyo awaiting their bout.

I see him down there all the time and always wonder who he is to have that kind of front-row access. 

Nishikigi gets the freebie then and is well on his way to kachikoshi. 

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Nishikigi gets the freebie then and is well on his way to kachikoshi. 

The way he and Kise were doing, Nishikigi would have won his 4th in a row anyway.   But he gets to rest one day.

Key match today - Mita vs Takakeisho, seemingly for jun-yusho.   Hak will get another yusho given the current state of things.  

So, if the reports are true, Kise is done. It's really sad, and frustrating. I remember him beating Asashoryu at a time when nobody could touch him. 

If his injuries were so severe, why were they not treated properly? From what I've read, it was ligament and muscle damage (please correct me if I'm wrong). I've had this sort of thing, and it takes forever to recover. Surgery and rehab, physio.. he could have come back almost as good as new.  OTOH, if his injuries were so severe, the proper time to quit would have been at the end of the Nov Tournament. 

I put 10 shekels down on Ichinojo as your next Yok. Don't know when, but I honestly think it's a matter of time.

To those closer to the wheel than I am: The Ozeki group looks terrible. Are there injuries? Tochinoshin looks like he has a bad arm, and the other two just aren't firing properly. What's going on with them? If Goeido injured as well?

And what's happened to Yoshikaze? He looks slow and sluggish. At one time he was the crazed electric eel people were afraid of.  Does age do that to you?

And full credit to Hakuho for winning an impossible bout. Even at this stage of his game, he's consistently competitive. Good for him. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Treblemaker said:

If his injuries were so severe, why were they not treated properly? From what I've read, it was ligament and muscle damage (please correct me if I'm wrong). I've had this sort of thing, and it takes forever to recover. Surgery and rehab, physio.. he could have come back almost as good as new.  OTOH, if his injuries were so severe, the proper time to quit would have been at the end of the Nov Tournament.

It was decided that he would not have surgery. I don't recall if this was his decision or others.

7 minutes ago, Treblemaker said:

So, if the reports are true, Kise is done. It's really sad, and frustrating. I remember him beating Asashoryu at a time when nobody could touch him. 

I put 10 shekels down on Ichinojo as your next Yok. Don't know when, but I honestly think it's a matter of time.

To those closer to the wheel than I am: The Ozeki group looks terrible. Are there injuries? Tochinoshin looks like he has a bad arm, and the other two just aren't firing properly. What's going on with them? If Goeido injured as well?

And what's happened to Yoshikaze? He looks slow and sluggish. At one time he was the crazed electric eel people were afraid of.  Does age do that to you?

And full credit to Hakuho for winning an impossible bout. Even at this stage of his game, he's consistently competitive. Good for him. 

Don't know about Goeido, but Tochinoshin suffered an injury prior to the basho and Takayasu also had a bout with the flu, so both are presumably in less than ideal form.