Asojima

Hatsu Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I feel so bad for Kise. The once iron man of sumo who didn't miss a match in 15 years until his career decimating injury during his 2nd of back to back yusho. He loves sumo and all he wants to do is compete, but he is performing at a lower maegashira level right now.

I wish he went intai after his 10-5 Aki showing, it would have saved face for him and went out on a redemptive note after going kyujo the past 8 basho. The 10 wins was with pure Yokozuna spirit as well, every win was a battle and many of those 10 wins he looked overmatched during. But now it seems the end will be going out with a whimper.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Hatsu 2019, Day 2:

Aminishiki wins!  He's still truckin'!

Enhou looked pretty good despite losing.

Man, that Abi - Ikioi fight was brutal.  I had to watch it like four times to be able to fully process it.  I like both wrestlers, and a victory is a victory, but I feel bad for Ikioi not being able to fight at his fullest.  That cut may not get a chance to heal until after the basho, and it will hold Ikioi back seriously.  Reopening a cut that you've already got stitches in must be a level of pain all its own.

Solid victory for Ryuuden.  He struggles against big pusher-thrusters like Chiyotairyuu.

Sadanoumi was bloodied in his fight, too.  Odd, kind of a bloody basho this is turning out to be.

Yoshikaze seems to be losing his edge in footwork recently.  Today he just kind of slipped.

Takakeisho looks impressive as last basho.  The one guy I expected to give him trouble, Shouhouzan, didn't.  I expect him to get ten wins this basho.

Hokutofuji's on fire this basho.  I expected him to win against Goueidou and he delivered.  Good for him.  I think we might lose two oozeki this tournament.

I feel bad for Tochinoshin.  He's my favorite wrestler, and the most powerful rikishi, but he just can't seem to rid himself of nagging injuries.  I expect him to lose his Oozeki rank this tournament, but stay in san'yaku.  It's too bad, really.  

I feel extremely bad for Kisenosato.  Not just for him, but for Sumo.  I know the fans will support him even if he goes 0-15, but I have to ask, how much is enough?  And I'm the guy who roots for the underdog.

Edited by TakaTochi
Added Jyuryo and Ryuuden
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TakaTochi said:

Hokutofuji’a on fire this basho.  I expected him to win against Goueidou and he delivered.  Good for him.  I think we might lose two oozeki this tournament.

I feel bad for Tochinoshin.  He's my favorite wrestler, and the most powerful rikishi, but he just can't seem to rid himself of nagging injuries.  I expect him to lose his Oozeki rank this tournament, but stay in san'yaku.  It's too bad, really.  

Neither Goeido nor Tochinoshin are kadoban this time around, so they’re safe at the rank for at least one more basho. I do fear for Tochinoshin in general though and can see him losing the rank this year. He could even go down as one of the shortest-reigning Ozeki on record, which would be a real shame as this time last year he was easily the strongest rikishi, even looking like a Yokozuna during his Ozeki run. 

One or two of the Ozekis may go kadoban after this basho.   I am thinking Goeido to be the odds on favorite for the "honor."   I still think Tochonshin can eek out an 8-7 KK.   Takayasu got a lucky win on day 2 and that will help him get a KK .

Even money on Kise to go MK or kuyjo ... and retire :-(

2 to 1 for Takakeisho to win 11 and get his ozekiship :-).   

1 hour ago, TakaTochi said:

Yep, kadoban, not demotion.

Takakeisho marches on, Goeido, Takayasu and Tochinoshin all heading toward kadoban, and Mitakeumi has rediscovered his form. 

Edited by Eikokurai

Just now, Otokonoyama said:

Hokutofuji has defeated all three ozeki this tournament. He appears to be in fine form.

I'd rather say the opposite is true.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Hokutofuji has defeated all three ozeki this tournament. He appears to be in fine form.

Shukun-sho in the bag. He must have already beaten the eventual yusho winner.

*snigger*

Gosh, can they please quit catching the final moments of Yokozuna Kisenosato! It hurts.

• Like 2

Nishikigi gets himself a kinboshi. A kachikoshi will surely get him a prize the way he has started.

11 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Nishikigi defeated two ozeki and a yokozuna. He appears to be in fine form.

Probably asked Akiseyama for Enho's contacts... that's the key, I think.

Bloody hell, Kise....the saga continues much like an never-ending dragon ball story arc...

• Haha 3

Things are looking bleak for Kise right now. There's a part of me that wants him to give it one more try tomorrow, but Nishikigi, having just knocked of a Yokozuna today and  Ozeki before that, is far from a bargain first win and last stab at trying to turn things around.  I'm afraid we may be witnessing the end of the road for Kise. 

20 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Gosh, can they please quit catching the final moments of Yokozuna Kisenosato! It hurts.

It's been the final moments of yokozuna Kisenosato for about a year now, matters are getting a bit tired indeed. 

• Like 3

Ichinojo made Hakuho look rather vulnerable today.  By some miracle, Hakuho outlasted the Mongolian Monster, and when he finally got his opponent where he wanted him...there was nothing Ichinojo could do to prevent the uwatenage.  The way Hakuho has looked the last two days makes me wonder if indeed he can handle some of the newly blossoming talent that he has yet to face.  Talk to me after he faces Mitakeumi, Nishikigi, and Takakesho.  But there were a few questionable wins early in the 2018 Autumn Tournament, and Hakuho went on to a zenshoyusho championship!

But IMHO, one of the more decisive bouts of this tournament will take place tomorrow: Mitakeumi versus Takakeisho.  Both yusho winners in 2018 and both at the top of their games with three straight wins.  Mitakeumi seems to have figured out how to deal with Takakeisho: he has won their last three bouts.  But maybe this time around Takakeisho will find a way to put his thrusting power to good use.  Both men are yusho contenders.  I'll be happy no matter who wins this one.

• Like 4

Seems that Kisenosato is deaf when it comes to the "R" word.  Then again, everyone around him seems to be saying: keep trying.

Kise has been the "elephant in the room" in the media, not to mention in this forum.  That "elephant" keeps getting bigger with each painful-to-watch loss!

I want to hold my breath for the inevitable announcement after today's loss (at least a dozen cameramen were on hand with ladders trying to get the best "swan song" photo of Kise leaving the stadium), but ...

Edited by Amamaniac

Kisenosato is really at the end of the road. He must stop now. He already should have stopped yesterday.

Nishikigi is really impressive. The guy who guessed that this decent bottom-makuuchi rikishi could (1) get a joi-jin kachi-koshi and (2) get a kinboshi at his first yokozuna bout has precog visions

• Like 1

Wow...just wow. The big guys are really doing well. Aoiyama staying low at the tachia and those big mitts with 400+ lbs behind them getting it done. Kaise showing his versatility at the belt. Ichinojo gave hakuho all he could handle. Takakeishou cruising again. Hokotofuji having the start of his life.  Kisenosato getting pushed around like nothing, his stance looks the same he's just not heavy anymore. What a day ! 

• Like 1

First post, long time lurker. First, I do feel sorry for Kise, to get to the top rung and then suffer an awful injury and then decline surgery. However, I would like this 'will he?, won't he?' retirement saga to play itself out sooner rather than later. It's like a black hole at each basho, sucking all the light from the other rikishi.

I'm happy to be corrected by the more vastly knowledgeable members here but, I just can't see any indication that there is an improvement in his performance, there just doesn't seem to be anything there at the moment. Please, not another handful of losses and kyujo again, either KK or retire, please!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nantonoyama said:

Kisenosato is really at the end of the road. He must stop now. He already should have stopped yesterday.

Nishikigi is really impressive. The guy who guessed that this decent bottom-makuuchi rikishi could (1) get a joi-jin kachi-koshi and (2) get a kinboshi at his first yokozuna bout has precog visions

if Kise wanted to leave with dignity he should have retired after Aki. Kyushu was a nightmare for him and this current basho is nothing more nothing less than an extended agony on the way of the inevitable.

I want the kyokai now to make an end of his misery and do not put even more weight on his shoulder just because he is the only Japanese yokozuna. what they are doing with him is not fair...

Anyhow I just would like to raise your attention what we are witnessing in this tournament is the beginning of the long awaited generation change in makuuchi. it is really happening now.

Edited by Old Shatterhand is dead
  • Like 5

As much as I love Kisenosato, please dude, stop. It is getting really painful to watch one of the top Ozekis in the history of Sumo to go down like this.

He loves Sumo, and I get it, but it is time to quit now before he embarrasses his legacy further. He made it to the top then capped it off with a Yusho as a Yokozuna.

All three Ozeki may want to go Kyujo as well. This is not a good look. Especially when 40-year-old Aminishishiki looks better, even when losing.

At least the Young Bloods are doing really well.

Tomorrow we will see if Takakeisho has the nerves to go on to become Ozeki. There is not many people standing between that rank now.

Kise always did well in the prebasho keiko. Now we know how fake those keiko bouts could be. As Kitanofuji said: "how different the honbasho is ! "

• Like 1