Asojima

Hatsu Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think thes are the main reasons why Takakeishou was not promoted to Ozeki at this juncture:

1. 9 wins on the first leg of the three bashos.

2. He is a shin-Sekiwake and they don't like promoting someone that raw.

3. His poor showing in his last bout against Goueidou.

4. Because Atenzan promised he will do it in 10 bashos.

5. Because of the Kyokai's famous bias towards foreigners.

6.Hummus.

7. He's no Kisenosato.

5 minutes ago, Rocks said:

So it's his fault!

Of course. And I bought myself some time before eating that hat..

4 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

Kisenosato turned out to be no kisenosato. 

Sure, but he benefited handsomely from lowered expectations.

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

No, I can’t see it. As far as I know, the only precedent of a sanyaku rikishi not getting promoted after two runs of 33+ (across four basho) was Miyabiyama in 2006, but he was seeking a return to the rank so the bar was set higher for him.

One of Miyabiyama´s wins in the last tournament (10-5) was a freebie, and four of his losses came against Ozeki and Asashoryu. I don´t think they set the bar higher, it was just not a convincing showing.

14 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Of course. And I bought myself some time before eating that hat..

I knew it was you.  It had to be.   You are the dark lord behind all the key decision making in sumo.   I bet you had a hand in Takanoiwa's intai, too.   All kidding aside, they could have given it to him and let the chips fall where they may.   A lot of sumo fans wouldn't have mind that.

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

7. He's no Kisenosato.

8. The kyokai learnt to be cautious in making promotion after the failure of Kise.

2 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

8. The kyokai learnt to be cautious in making promotion after the failure of Kise.

Ozeki and Yokozuna promotions are entirely different things. A failed Ozeki can get demoted. A failed yokozuna goes home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Or, they may just not like anyone with shikona starting with "Taka."   (Sigh...)    Anyway, I wish Takakeisho to prove that the kyokai is wrong in the next basho.  It's simple as that. 

I've been a bit worried about Bad Wig Man the last few bashos because he hasn't brought any of his daughters to watch and sat in his usual front row left position. I have been keeping my eye open for him and I was relieved to see he was there today, wearing a mask (must have had a cold) second row right. He only turned up on Senshuraku last basho in Tokyo as well and sat in the same place. For all I know he could have been sitting behind the camera the whole basho and I didn't see him. But I wonder if it is because it is harder for him to get front row left tickets, or if he has had some kind of financial issues which means he can't afford to come every day anymore, or maybe he has just been busy at work? or maybe he has cancer and has to have chemo on days 1-14? It's funny I started out watching him a few years ago simply because he had a really obvious and terribly bad wig and always brought a different daughter with him to the basho (he clearly has about 75 of them and they are all really, really good looking), but now I actually want to know what is going on with him and if he is alright.

3 hours ago, word20 said:

You can't say that 33 wins in three tournaments are a rule for promotion to Ozeki

No one here with reasonable experience would ever state such a thing.

3 hours ago, word20 said:

What is the reason that they are not consistent with the 33 wins?

Because there is NO RULE for ozeki promotions. They do it with 32 wins (Kisenosato) and deny it with 34 wins (Miyabiyama). And they have their reasons for every case. This famous "rule-of-thumb" of 33 wins over 3 bashos is just a unspecific guideline to indicate when they possibly start to think about a promotion or not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Morty said:

It's funny I started out watching him a few years ago simply because he had a really obvious and terribly bad wig and always brought a different daughter with him to the basho (he clearly has about 75 of them and they are all really, really good looking), but now I actually want to know what is going on with him and if he is alright.

Today he looked like being asleep for the entire day.

1 minute ago, Gospodin said:

Today he looked like being asleep for the entire day.

That is not unusual. He often spends a lot of time on his phone. But he clearly wasn't well today

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

(No promotion for Takakeisho) Raw deal. 

Indeed! I would have never thought they wouldn't.

The closest peer is obviously Terunofujis promotion, and the numbers are pretty much the same: 33 wins, a Yushu and a Jun-Yusho in Sanyaku, first basho no double digit from Meagashira.

You could say that Taka had the luck of more Kyuju of top rankers - but that has never been a big topic in the past explanations of Kyokai and YDC, I doubt it has been a factor.

My conclusion is that they were not happy with the hasty promotion of Teru and they simply elevated the standard.

I just hope that Taka does not let this little unfairness into his mind too much.

All in all a fun basho with lots of drama. The loss to Goedo cost Takakeishou the nod most likely, but that's sumo. Hard not to like a guy 15yrs in sumo having to get beat up by the rest of the Mongolian mob to have his day. New baby and possible Ozeki run plus he likes to bake...what's not to like?  I enjoyed Albema coverage for the parade of prizes and the tossing of the mini Gyoji, and digging up the grains and cuttlefish that's buried in the center of the doiyo.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I think these are the main reasons why Takakeishou was not promoted to Ozeki at this juncture:

1. 9 wins on the first leg of the three bashos.

2. He is a shin-Sekiwake and they don't like promoting someone that raw.

3. His poor showing in his last bout against Goueidou.

4. Because Atenzan promised he will do it in 10 bashos.

5. Because of the Kyokai's famous bias towards foreigners.

6.Hummus.

You forgot to list the fear of a "hat" shortage. ;-)

In the broadcast, it was announced that Fujishima oyakata called off the promotion meeting the second Takakeisho lost his last bout of the tournament to Goeido.  Clearly, there was not even going to be a promotion discussion based on everything Takakeisho had accomplished up to day 14.  Perhaps my friend in Tokyo was reading between the lines, but he didn't steer me wrong.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

All in all a fun basho with lots of drama. The loss to Goedo cost Takakeishou the nod most likely, but that's sumo. Hard not to like a guy 15yrs in sumo having to get beat up by the rest of the Mongolian mob to have his day. New baby and possible Ozeki run plus he likes to bake...what's not to like?  I enjoyed Albema coverage for the parade of prizes and the tossing of the mini Gyoji, and digging up the grains and cuttlefish that's buried in the center of the doiyo.  

You know you’ve been immersed in sumo and Japanese words too long when you read that as ‘ba-kay’. I was confused for a second, like this was some Japanese thing I didn’t know about.

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

So it's his fault!

What isn't, these days? 

If I knew how much clout my posts had within the Kyokai, I'd post way more. 

That is, until all of you chopped off my hands and waterboarded my keyboard. 

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Chiyoshoma had a case for a mono-ii there. From the reverse angle it looked as if he stayed on his feet long enough for Kotoshogiku to go down first.

Kimura Konosuke, who was having a bad case of slipper-loss-itis since being promoted to Sanyaku gyoji, was not in his normal bent over position but completely upright before he made the call.  Amazingly, he got the call right in my opinion.  If you watch the slow-motion replay and pause just before Kotoshogiku's right wrist drops on the dohyo, you will see that the side of Chiyoshoma's left ankle is already down.  

#respect

Edited by Amamaniac

Jokes aside, it will be interesting to see what the bigwigs say about a Tamawashi ozeki run. He's got 9 and 13 with a yusho from the jo'i over his last two, same as Takakeishou had before Hatsu. If they say he's good for a promotion with 11 in March, what can we assume about the ozeki promotion standards? 

Select as applicable:

-Atenzan must be proven right as close to right on time as possible 

-You have to have at least the last two of your three basho at sekiwake

-Newbloods are subject to higher standards, lest they do a Dejima/Miyabiyama

-33 is only good if the Y/O are genki

-The Kyokai are horribly bigoted against short people (in which case I should warn them not to listen to me anymore cause I'm shorter than Enhou) 

-Oshi-zumo is subject to higher scrutiny than yotsu-zumo, seeing as the vast majority of successful Y/O are belt guys

• Like 2