Asojima

Hatsu Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Takakeisho didn't fight in his style and paid for it.   Who would thought Goeido & Takayasu will go 9-6 after their poor starts?   Not me.

Will they promote Takakeisho to Ozeki?   I sure hope so.

No promotion for Takakeishou, no special rijikai. "We'd like to see next basho," said Ounomatsu a second ago.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

No promotion for Takakeishou, no special rijikai. "We'd like to see next basho," said Ounomatsu a second ago.

Raw deal. 

Just now, Kintamayama said:

I had that feeling earlier in the day and losing in his final bout certainly didn't help force their hand.  

• Haha 1

Did the NHK announcer just say Tamawashi's new baby was born today? Quite the day for him if true!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Ouch!  No Ozeki also means there will be one less sanyuku promotion spot to go around.  

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Chiyoshoma had a case for a mono-ii there. From the reverse angle it looked as if he stayed on his feet long enough for Kotoshogiku to go down first.

Today was no monoii day.  None of the close bouts were monoii'd. 

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Did the NHK announcer just say Tamawashi's new baby was born today? Quite the day for him if true!

Indeed. It's a boy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Ouch!  No Ozeki also means there will be one less sanyuku promotion spot to go around.  

Well there is only one deserving candidate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Not a bad thing: they would have had a tough job filling the second komusubi spot.

Congrats to Tamawashi, on the Yusho and becoming a father. Well deserved.

I'm bummed about Aoiyama's MK, he deserved a KK.

Also, I don't like the pink macaroon.

Edited by Rocks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Midoriyama said:

There goes Onosho overcommiting and out of control again... Thats a huge difference between him and Takakeisho. Style is the same, the may have even similar strengh and power but Takakeisho is collected while Onosho is all over the place often getting caught with hatakikomi or other after dominating early

Yes. People may say that Takakeisho is a one-dimensional rikishi, but (similar to Kotoshogiku with his gabburi-yori) he has refined that one approach into something very simple - not simplistic - and, more importantly, very repeatable. At that point it's all down to confident execution, and when he loses it's usually because the opponent was simply better, not because Takakeisho's sumo failed to show up.

By contrast, Onosho's more of a "classic" pusher-thruster with about a thousand moving parts to his sumo, and equally many ways that things can go wrong with it. Today's match was emblematic of that - he lost that one a lot more than Meisei won it. If he doesn't manage to resolve that, and I'm not sure he will, he's just going to end up as a somewhat better version of Toyohibiki (or somewhat worse version of Tosanoumi, for the old-timers here).

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 5

Okay, the bobble head trophy is my new favorite. 

That's tough on Takakeisho, and he'll be Sekiwake west next basho probably since Tamawashi got the Yusho...

Takakeisho is not promoted to Ozeki, in spite of that he has 33 wins in three tournaments. 

Record in the last three tournaments:

September  9-6

November  12-3

January       11-4

This is total of 33 wins in thee consecutive tournaments, but they will still see another tournament.

You can't say that 33 wins in three tournaments are a rule for promotion to Ozeki, for then he would be promoted.

What is the reason that they are not consistent with the 33 wins?

17 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

If he doesn't manage to resolve that, and I'm not sure he will, he's just going to end up as a somewhat better version of Toyohibiki (or somewhat worse version of Tosanoumi, for the old-timers here).

Plus he will never have the same longevity as Sekitori those two enjoyed.

37 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Indeed. Tamawashi's endorphine glands must still be working overtime. I'm very happy for the lad.

Regarding the order of the final two bouts, Yassier had an interesting take on it: Because of Hakuho's withdrawal, Takayasu already had the musubi-no-ichiban on day 14 (instead of Goeido), so that might have been a factor.

14 minutes ago, word20 said:

You can't say that 33 wins in three tournaments are a rule for promotion to Ozeki, for then he would be promoted.

What is the reason that they are not consistent with the 33 wins?

The circumstances under which he got to 33, in my opinion. I don´t remember his performances in the last two bashos, but in this he was less than impressive against the few remaining high-rankers.

Edited by Gospodin

Double congratulations to Tamawashi! slowest to rise and here he is soaring above them all,...and his bonus of another new arrival surely caps it.

Another congratulations to Wakamotoharu as well... taking the makushita yusho with a perfect 7! I really enjoyed watching his bouts this basho...when I wasn't asleep (Laughing...) 

Edit: is it me or does Dr Takasu look like Nakamura Kichiemon II with badly combed forward hair? (Eh?)

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
Kichiemon bit

38 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Yes. People may say that Takakeisho is a one-dimensional rikishi, but (similar to Kotoshogiku with his gabburi-yori) he has refined that one approach into something very simple - not simplistic - and, more importantly, very repeatable. At that point it's all down to confident execution, and when he loses it's usually because the opponent was simply better, not because Takakeisho's sumo failed to show up.

By contrast, Onosho's more of a "classic" pusher-thruster with about a thousand moving parts to his sumo, and equally many ways that things can go wrong with it. Today's match was emblematic of that - he lost that one a lot more than Meisei won it. If he doesn't manage to resolve that, and I'm not sure he will, he's just going to end up as a somewhat better version of Toyohibiki (or somewhat worse version of Tosanoumi, for the old-timers here).

In addition, Onosho has the bad habit of pulling when an opponent gains any momentum, which Takakeisho rarely does. He believes in his ability to regain his own momentum, combining carefully timed shifting of position with his constant forward pressure.

15 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

The circumstances under which he got to 33, in my opinion. I don´t remember his performances in the last two bashos, but in this he was less than impressive against the few remaining high-rankers.

Yusho & Jun-Yusho in that span could have gotten him over the edge.  But such is sumo.  The promotion will have to wait for another basho.  The good news is that the top competition has thinned out and/or weakened a quite bit in recent years.  

Of course 10 wins next time will mean 34 over 3 bashos but the decreasing return(13-11-10) doesn't look good. Could that be held against his promotion chances?

I think these are the main reasons why Takakeishou was not promoted to Ozeki at this juncture:

1. 9 wins on the first leg of the three bashos.

2. He is a shin-Sekiwake and they don't like promoting someone that raw.

3. His poor showing in his last bout against Goueidou.

4. Because Atenzan promised he will do it in 10 bashos.

5. Because of the Kyokai's famous bias towards foreigners.

6.Hummus.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

Of course 10 wins next time will mean 34 over 3 bashos but the decreasing return(13-11-10) doesn't look good. Could that be held against his promotion chances?

No, I can’t see it. As far as I know, the only precedent of a sanyaku rikishi not getting promoted after two runs of 33+ (across four basho) was Miyabiyama in 2006, but he was seeking a return to the rank so the bar was set higher for him.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

4. Because Atenzan promised he will do it in 10 bashos.

So it's his fault!