Asojima

Hatsu Basho 2019 Discussion [SPOILERS]

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Those aren’t the shikona of any rikishi I know. Maybe that’s from a sumo game?

Oh, okay. Yeah, now that I really look at it the pictures are from some sumo game. 

Sorry. My bad.

Edited by Rocks

7 hours ago, Kotomiyama said:

Before senshuraku I would like to talk about Abi.

He arrived at Makuuchi like a wave, pushing forward with almost unstoppable force but then retiring backwards after reaching a peak. Although he continues to be a one-trick-pony in this basho I have seen him a more wise rishiki. He has learned to pause in the middle of the battle and he is not as eager to push at all costs as before. If he keeps perfecting his style and developing his awareness, he could stay in Makuuchi for a long time, and I will be happy to root for him.

I"m with you re: Abi. He's also getting noticeably heftier, and the added wait will only help his cause as he continues to push and thrust forward in his career. 

7 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

I"m with you re: Abi. He's also getting noticeably heftier, and the added wait will only help his cause as he continues to push and thrust forward in his career. 

weight

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Matta! Matta! Matta!

Wait.

I be weigh more and I be better.

Edited by robnplunder

How did the ref give that win to Ikioi? It wasn't even close.

Kachikoshi for Asanoyama.

Good going for Yago.   KK for Asannoyama, another young rikishi with promising future.  Yuta's MK is disappointing.  I wonder if he is at 100%.

Omg! After that... Ryuden and Kotoeko will have to maried each other.

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

The Abema feed on QQ has gone down. Just getting annoying music.

There is a working livestream on youtube...

There goes Onosho overcommiting and out of control again... Thats a huge difference between him and Takakeisho. Style is the same, the may have even similar strengh and power but Takakeisho is collected while Onosho is all over the place often getting caught with hatakikomi or other after dominating early

Just now, Midoriyama said:

There goes Onosho overcommiting and out of control again... Thats a huge difference between him and Takakeisho. Style is the same, the may have even similar strengh and power but Takakeisho is collected while Onosho is all over the place often getting caught with hatakikomi or other after dominating early

NHK World has it on its app in English. I hadn't realised. 

9 minutes ago, Midoriyama said:

Clearly, Takakeisho has separated himself from Onosho.  The gap will not close IMHO.   It reminds me of how Mita has separated himself from his rival Shodai.   Mita will eventually make it to Ozeki whereas I don't see Shodai ever coming close to Ozeki rank.

• Like 1

Chiyoshoma had a case for a mono-ii there. From the reverse angle it looked as if he stayed on his feet long enough for Kotoshogiku to go down first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Chiyoshoma had a case for a mono-ii there. From the reverse angle it looked as if he stayed on his feet long enough for Kotoshogiku to go down first.

I thought Koto won even from the TV angle.  I can see Chiyo's calf touching down first. 

Yeah, Hokutofuji!   Sanyuku here he comes.

Ichinojo had nothing left in his tank, losing to equally disappointing Shodai.  Can it be Ichi's back acting up in the 2nd half of the basho?     Speaking of 2nd half collapse, Aioyama folded as well.  

That's the Nishikigi who turned up early in the basho. Arm lock and leg drive. That's proven a successful tactic for him in recent times.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

That's the Nishikigi who turned up early in the basho. Arm lock and leg drive. That's proven a successful tactic for him in recent times.

It was an easy task against still injured Mita who should have sit out after his 8th win.  Even so, Nishikigi did very well as 12 of his 15 opponents were at higher rank.   Such is life of M1 & M2s in a basho.   He will KK in the next basho. 

Yay! So happy for Tamawashi! Real trooper. Really deserves a yusho in his record! Tamawashiii banzaaaai!

• Like 2

I've been quiet almost this whole basho because I've had nothing nice to say. I do wanna salute Tamawashi, though; he really got the job done!

Man, my son sure picks his timing. He woke up screaming from his nap just as the Tamawashi bout was about to start. 

Great for Tamawashi. That's three of the last four yusho won by junior sanyaku guys. 

Edited by Eikokurai

The new age is coming, but a 34 y.o. won.

Well done Tamawashi. Really well done! 

Slowly, surely, silently you did it!

• Like 2