Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

YDC Soken-Hatsu 2019

Other than Tochinoshin (lightly pulled thigh muscle) all top guys participated in the YDC soken today. Kisenosato was 3-3 (1-3 against Kakuryuu, 2-0 against Goueidou). Hakuhou first took on Mitakeumi for 3 bouts, then Takakeishou for 5 bouts and won them all. Kakuryuu had the most bouts (10) and was 7-3 (3-1 against Kisenosato, 3-2 against Takayasu, and 1-0 against Goueidou). "I felt the stamina was lacking. The young guys are not in good shape. I thought they would put up a fight against the top rankers, but they seem to lack the drive," said a disappointed Hakkaku Oyakata, referring specifically to Mitakeumi and Takakeishou. "It's not about the results, it's about the determination. Losing is OK, but the feeling of 'I'm going for it' or 'I am aiming upwards' was lacking," he added. As for Kisenosato- "His tachiai seems to be soft. He has the determination, but he seems to be impatient.. He doesn't seem to be bothered by his old injury, but perhaps this is what he is capable of at the moment.." said the Rijicho.

Hakuhou-Takakeishou:

201901070000378-w500_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

YDC Chairman Kitamura: "I could feel Kisenosato's willpower.It looks like his body is mostly back. What's left is his sumo sense- I want him to regain it as soon as possible. As much as he was going all out, I still feel a bit anxious about him.." At the end of the session, Kisenosato seemed to have injured his leg. "It looked like he was in pain.. I hope it's nothing serious. I would have liked to see him do 4-5 more bouts. The two other Yokozunae seem to be in great shape."

Kisenosato-Kakuryuu

201901070000374-w500_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kisenosato was beaten almost every time at the tachiai with guys coming in low and his body floating high:  "I'm not moving badly.. I think I was attacking. It was good keiko," he said. After his sixth bout where he beat Goueidou, he fell awkwardly and hit his left thigh and seemed in pain. "I just hit myself on the tawara a bit.. Not a problem," he reassured. "I am moving better than I did last soken in September. Onward and forward- all I can do is confidently go about my preparations," he summed. YDC members were not gushing with praise over his showing today, but there was no pessimism heard either.

There's the bruise on the thigh, but it's the right thigh, not the left.. And he is definitely wincing in pain, probably, so not definitely.

201901070000514-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

As for Kisenosato- "His tachiai seems to be soft. [...]" said the Rijicho.

"We also have reasons to believe that the sun is somewhere up in the sky during daytime.", he might have added later in private.

• Like 3

Kisenosato slow but steady in practice for New Year meet

Japanese grand champion Kisenosato broke even over six practice bouts on Monday as he prepares for the fight of his life at the upcoming New Year Grand Sumo Tournament.

Kisenosato won three and lost three of his practice bouts overseen by the Japan Sumo Association's yokozuna council, going 1-3 against fellow grand champion Kakuryu and winning both of his matches against ozeki Goeido.

The session at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan saw all three grand champions -- Kisenosato, Kakuryu and Hakuho -- showcasing their recovery from the injuries that prevented them from completing last year's November tournament at Fukuoka Kokusai Center.

Mongolian yokozuna Hakuho said he is in "good condition" after skipping the Fukuoka meet due to surgery on his right knee and ankle. He posted a perfect 5-0 record against November meet champion Takakeisho.

The 32-year-old Kisenosato showed a decent range of motion throughout the practice, but lacked speed breaking into his initial charges. His sixth bout was terminated early to take extra precaution when his left leg was driven into the straw.

"My movement wasn't bad. I thought I was attacking," Kisenosato said, looking relaxed after practice.

With his career likely on the line in the 15-day tournament at Ryogoku Kokugikan starting Jan. 13, Kisenosato said, "I have to fight with confidence, one step at a time."

Yokozuna council chairman Masato Kitamura said, "I felt (Kisenosato's) mental strength. What he needs next is sumo intuition. I want him to regain those kinds of things."

JSA Chairman Hakkaku said the grand champion was still light on his initial charge, adding he assumes Kisenosato is irritated by his current condition.

The yokozuna council issued Kisenosato a notice of its dissatisfaction with his performance after he became the first grand champion in 87 years to post four straight opening losses at a 15-day tournament in November.

Before withdrawing from the Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament, he had gone 10-5 in September. But prior to that, he had missed all or part of eight-straight meets, a record for a grand champion.

Kisenosato sat out the winter regional tour but indicated his intent to compete from opening day at the New Year meet amid renewed talk of his impending retirement from the sport.

Kakuryu went 7-3 in his bouts against Kisenosato and the ozeki duo of Takayasu and Goeido. Ozeki Tochinoshin, who struggled to win eight bouts in Kyushu, did not participate due to pain in his right thigh.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190107/p2g/00m/0sp/074000c

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

Kisenosato slow but steady in practice for New Year meet

So my translations are pretty nifty..

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

The yokozuna council issued Kisenosato a notice of its dissatisfaction with his performance after he became the first grand champion in 87 years to post four straight opening losses at a 15-day tournament in November.

When was this notice of dissatisfaction issued? Immediately after the 0-4 kyujo or this Monday?

Even the one time Kisenosato beat Kakuryu he looked terrible. Does he do any strength training? He looks very flabby compared to his old self.

11 minutes ago, Rocks said:

... He looks very flabby compared to his old self.

The same can be said of Hakuho.

15 hours ago, Asojima said:

The same can be said of Hakuho.

And me.