Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O Hatsu 2019

Kisenosato has started doing sumo in keiko today after a 42 day hiatus. He faced some Sandanme rikishi from his heya.  The doors of the heya were closed, but the Yokozuna's heavy breathing was heard all the way to the entrance."It was good keiko. I'm happy," he said later, as per usual."He had about 20 bouts and was able to follow his opponents' movement well. The opponents (Sandanme..) are opponents-there is a difference in intensity.." said Tagonoura Oyakata. "I will be going about it while aiming to appear on day 1. I have been preparing, but I won't know the situation for sure till I do some sumo,"  said Kisenosato himself yesterday at a press conference.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me eight times....No surgery, no recovery, no likelihood Kisenosato is ever going to wrestle well again. 

11 minutes ago, Qwerry said:

I' m waiting march. "Make or brake  2". 

No. This is it, do well or retire. Unfortunately I expect the latter.

Kisenosato trained today, first 6 bouts against Sandanme opponents, winning them all, and then with Takayasu. 13-3. "My knee is fine," he said. After the bouts, some butsugari, where he was the borrower and was seen rolling over in the sand many times. "I felt good. Takayasu asked me if I was ready for some butsugari and I told him to bring it on," he said later. He was seen doing  a lot of oshizumo. "Lately there were many instances where I couldn't  grab my opponents' mawashi, so I've got to train for that," he added. "When he gets that left hand grip I can't do a thing," added Takayasu, who managed to get in some right hand grips and to win by yorikiri. As for the "love treatment" he gave to Kisenosato, "I have to think of my own training as well so I tried to feel a bit of that Yokozuna power. There is no senior-junior thing when it comes to that. I went about it for the good of myself and my opponent. The hardest aspect of keiko is butsugari. When you do butsugari it  results in a better condition during the basho. It embodies every aspect of sumo," explained Takayasu.

201812270000552-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Tochinoshin trained at home today with his usual partners Aoiyama and Tochiouzan for 13 bouts, winning 8 and then lent his chest to the lower rankers with some butsugari. "I'm doing my best not to get injured..' he said. A few days ago he came down with cellulitis in his knee and buttocks and went to the hospital for some IV treatment. "It feels a bit uncomfortable and weird.. I feel I have to drink a lot," he said. His doctor says he should be healed by the end of the year. Last Hatsu he won the yusho. "2018 was an unforgettable year for me," he summed.

201812270000776-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Tochinoshin trained at home today with his usual partners Aoiyama and Tochiouzan for 13 bouts, winning 8 and then lent his chest to the lower rankers with some butsugari. "I'm doing my best not to get injured..' he said. A few days ago he came down with cellulitis in his knee and buttocks and went to the hospital for some IV treatment. "It feels a bit uncomfortable and weird.. I feel I have to drink a lot," he said. His doctor says he should be healed by the end of the year. Last Hatsu he won the yusho. "2018 was an unforgettable year for me," he summed.

201812270000776-w500_0.jpg

I would love to see him repeat with another yusho at the 2019 Hatsu basho 

Kisenosato faced Takayasu again today, this time going 15-5. A lot of training off-mawashi, but also on-mawashi. His right knee injury  seems to be healed as it was unnoticeable. He intends to train till Sunday, take a few days off, and return to training on January 2nd. "The preparations for Hatsu are always unique (the basho starts three weeks after the Banzuke announcement, as opposed to two weeks with the other 5 bashos), so I don't want to make the mistake of losing count of the days.." he explained. "I feel it's still  the middle of a jungyo.." he added. He also had 6 bouts against Sandanme rikishi before facing Takayasu and borrowed Takayasu's chest for butsugari, exactly as he did yesterday.

201812280000421-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 27/12/2018 at 08:34, Kintamayama said:

Kisenosato trained today, first 6 bouts against Sandanme opponents, winning them all, and then with Takayasu. 13-3.

Sanspo really cares for Kise - they give the kimarite for all of his 16 training bouts with Takayasu http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/20181228/sum18122805010001-p2.html

sum18122805010001-p2.jpg

• Like 4

Very strange. 

I thought that skipping events was an intentional clear sign that Kisenosato had not recovered and was about to miss the tournament.

But he is a training champion again.

If he trains with sekitori other than Takayasu, he may be in it to win it. Otherwise...meh.

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

....His right knee injury  seems to be healed as it was unnoticeable.

I never knew he injured the knee until the reason was given after he already withdrew. I went back and watched the four matches that he lost and I didn't even see him limping after any of those four matches. He was hiding that injury very well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No training except light fundamentals for Kisenosato today, but new mawashi:

sum18122917220002-p1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kisenosato trained at home today. He started off by facing Sandanme Awajiumi for 6 bouts, winning them all, then took on Takayasu, winning 15-3. "If I could get the mawashi - if  I could move forward - was the feeling. I'm not in bad shape. This year I couldn't go all out. I want to make next year a good year with a good start," he said. He will rest the next two days and will resume training on January 2nd.

201812300000541-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 26/12/2018 at 15:49, Kintamayama said:

"I will be going about it while aiming to appear on day 1.

I hope he's aiming to appear on day 2 and day 15 as well. But that's probably asking too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fukurou said:

I hope he's aiming to appear on day 2 and day 15 as well. But that's probably asking too much.

That should be doable. The rest from day 3 to day 14 means he’ll be nice and fresh for senshuraku.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

This morning Kisenosato went "all out" and was "looking good" and faced "Takayasu" in training. 14-2, "overwhelming" his opponent  and seems to be "ready". He was even heard shouting after his 6th and 10th bout and won the last 12. And of course, the traditional six bouts with a Sandanme rikishi, winning them all. "I went all out. I think the content was good. I still have a lot to fix, but today was good!" he declared. "Takayasu puts on a lot of pressure. My whole body aches.." he added. "Kisenosato's first step is sharp. I found it difficult to counter," said Takayasu.

Now, how about getting past "day 6", sir, when it counts? And training with some real competition? 9 days to go, you really need to face the "real world' if you don't want to get that "wake-up call" on day 3.. Again.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Goueidou, another "keiko hero" was at the Dewanoumi Ichimon rengo keiko and was also "looking good". 9-1 against Tochinoshin(6-0)  and Mitakeumi. It was his first training session with sekitori after his right upper arm injury that caused him to withdraw from Kyushu. "I'm glad I got off to a good start this year. I will be concentrating till day 1," he summed. Tochinoshin, OTOH, was not happy.He faced Mitakeumi and Myougiryuu as well and was 14-6 (which means he beat the two others in all their matches..). "Bad. Totally bad. A year passes really fast.. I'd like to win another yusho," he summed.

sum19010315440003-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The last time Kisenosato did well was when Hakuho showed up to keiko and lit a fire under him. Maybe Hakuho needs to drag Kisenosato kicking and screaming through his yokozuna reign.

But kicking and screaming is a sign of life...

• Like 2

I have some concerns about Tochinoshin. Could he be a surprise intai in 2019? He seems to be pretty beaten up and at his age (31) his body isn’t going to heal like a younger man’s. He’s been struggling to stay at Ozeki and so I’m wondering if we might see him retire this year, having lost his rank and decided to call it a day.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This morning Kisenosato went "all out" and was "looking good" and faced "Takayasu" in training. 14-2, "overwhelming" his opponent  and seems to be "ready". He was even heard shouting after his 6th and 10th bout and won the last 12. And of course, the traditional six bouts with a Sandanme rikishi, winning them all. "I went all out. I think the content was good. I still have a lot to fix, but today was good!" he declared. "Takayasu puts on a lot of pressure. My whole body aches.." he added. "Kisenosato's first step is sharp. I found it difficult to counter," said Takayasu.

Now, how about getting past "day 6", sir, when it counts? And training with some real competition? 9 days to go, you really need to face the "real world' if you don't want to get that "wake-up call" on day 3.. Again.

You seem to "suggest" that you've "heard" this BS "before".

• Like 1

“Haven’t” “we” “all?”

• Like 4

Kisenosato surprised everyone by going for degeiko today(not). At home as usual, took on Takayasu as usual and was 9-4. "It was totally good, wasn't it? " he asked. "Takayasu is heavy and is an Ozeki that can do anything.." he added. The big change was that he did not face any Sandanme rikishi today. And then he trained with a rope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1