Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Reddit.

Joined Reddit. Apparently there are a lot of fake John Gunnings out there and no one believes it’s me. Got the opposite of a warm welcome from some people there. Asked to post here to prove it’s me. Starting to wonder if I really am me now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Each community has its etiquette and apparently in reddit you should cross-reference "the real world" or another community. At least is what they do when they participate in AMAs (Ask Me Anything).

Don't be surprised, redditors are wary of impersonators, but in general they are nice as anybody else.

Reddit tends, in absence of moderation, to be a cesspool of humanity.  At its best it can be a nice place, when there are moderators associated with actual businesses interested in keeping their sub a nice place to visit.  They tend to give colorful flairs to people who actually know what they're talking about.  But r/sumo is run by one guy who barely knows a goddamn thing about sumo; he's just the fan the started the page.  He has no interest in actually coming down on people who propagate nonsense; he probably doesn't know what's nonsense and what isn't.  There's no flair to separate out Asashosakari and one or two others from the mass of people who know next to nothing or may be bullshitting.  I only visited there to see what other people might be saying about things, but it's invariably a level of discourse much lower than what can be found here, and after a while I realized it simply wasn't worth visiting.

Start your own sub and make some people you know from various places moderators, and you'll perhaps be able to build a nice community.  But I would not try to interact with the r/sumo community at all, because in order to change it you'd have to be able to get the sub owner to actually care about the level of discourse and such, which he clearly doesn't.  (Maybe it's changed in the year or two since I stopped visiting, but that's unlikely.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kotomiyama said:

in general they are nice as anybody else.

Damning with faint praise.  People who are anonymous on the internet tend toward being trolls.

Funny coincidence... a few seconds ago, as I was tapping my sumoforum bookmark on my phone, I glanced at my r/sumo bookmark and thought, “I should delete that. Never going to go back there.”

• Like 1

My experience in /r/sumo is that while most of its denizens aren't as knowledgeable about the sport as the folks here, they're enthusiastic fans and generally pleasant to one another. Every now and then it seems like someone stumbles into there from god-knows-where and is an arsehole, but they're the exception rather than the rule.