Oushimaru1138

Age limits

So I’ve been curious about this, what are the age limits for becoming a rikishi? I read for the physical, you had to complete high school, and be under 23. I’m currently 25, and have been thinking about one day trying to start with amateur, and work my way to pro, and hopefully move there. But I feel like it would be too late. Does anyone know the ways in which someone in their mid 20s could join?

1 hour ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

So I’ve been curious about this, what are the age limits for becoming a rikishi? I read for the physical, you had to complete high school, and be under 23. I’m currently 25, and have been thinking about one day trying to start with amateur, and work my way to pro, and hopefully move there. But I feel like it would be too late. Does anyone know the ways in which someone in their mid 20s could join?

No way, sir.

I’m afraid the days of people like Tomonohana are over. You have to enter professional sumo by the age of 25 now. Being a foreigner would also go against you given the quota. There’s absolutely nothing stopping you in the amateur game though. Good luck!

For what it’s worth, I think the JSA should reconsider the age policy in light of its current recruitment challenges. I’m sure there are plenty of older amateur guys who don’t want to commit to a sumo career so young but who might consider starting out later.

Edited by Eikokurai

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’m afraid the days of people like Tomonohana are over. You have to enter professional sumo by the age of 25 now. There’s absolutely nothing stopping you in the amateur game though. Good luck!

I didn’t want to be stuck at amateur, I wanted to be recognized as a Yokozuna. Oh well, guess that’s never happening now

1 minute ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

I didn’t want to be stuck at amateur, I wanted to be recognized as a Yokozuna. Oh well, guess that’s never happening now

I daydream from time to time about becoming the first British sekitori and stealing Aminishiki’s crown as oldest man in Makuuchi. Alas, my age (35), nationality, weight (about one of Ichinojo’s legs) and total lack of ability prevent me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Eikokurai said:

I daydream from time to time about becoming the first British sekitori and stealing Aminishiki’s crown as oldest man in Makuuchi. Alas, my age (35), nationality, weight (about one of Ichinojo’s legs) and total lack of ability prevent me.

I had a dream of meeting my idol in the sumo world Akebono, and make it as a real rikishi

2 minutes ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

I had a dream of meeting my idol in the sumo world Akebono, and make it as a real rikishi

The first is still possible, and you don’t even need to enter sumo to do it since he’s not there anymore.

No, but he was the one that got me into sumo, and I wanted to earn his respect as a former yokozuna. But now I have to settle for amateur and it wouldn’t be the same as going pro. And the likelihood of me ever meeting him, even as a pro-wrestler seems out of reach unless he’s coming to FL sometime

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

The first is still possible, and you don’t even need to enter sumo to do it since he’s not there anymore.

And I wanted to do sumo since I was a kid, but was too scared to say anything, and now it’s too late to go pro.

8 hours ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

What was that “no way” referring to?

You asked if you can still go pro, so "no way" was the answer.

If you are wanting to be competitive in sumo, the best you can do at this point in time is to compete amateur. I would start by trying to compete at the US Open and gauge yourself from there.

Maybe try sumo first before being too dejected that you wont be a yokozuna

Competing in sumo's still a possibility through amateur events,  but do you actually  want to compete or do you just like the thought of being a pro?

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Maybe try sumo first before being too dejected that you wont be a yokozuna

Competing in sumo's still a possibility through amateur events,  but do you actually  want to compete or do you just like the thought of being a pro?

I know there’s amateur events, but something about going pro just feels more official. But I guess the closest I’m gonna get is Olympic level. I was more hoping to get to face a Yokozuna, and all that jazz

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

You asked if you can still go pro, so "no way" was the answer.

That’s what I figured. Too bad

45 minutes ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

I know there’s amateur events, but something about going pro just feels more official. But I guess the closest I’m gonna get is Olympic level. I was more hoping to get to face a Yokozuna, and all that jazz

Setting aside the age problem for the time being, do you have any sort of background in wrestling or martial arts? I ask because where you are now and facing a Yokozuna are world’s away from each other. Even if you were able to join a stable, you’ve got a couple of years minimum before you can reach the top division, and then you need to reach the joi to have a shot at facing the yaku ranks. Thousands have tried that before you and failed, and most of those had some experience in sumo before they joined a heya.

20 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Setting aside the age problem for the time being, do you have any sort of background in wrestling or martial arts? I ask because where you are now and facing a Yokozuna are world’s away from each other. Even if you were able to join a stable, you’ve got a couple of years minimum before you can reach the top division, and then you need to reach the joi to have a shot at facing the yaku ranks. Thousands have tried that before you and failed, and most of those had some experience in sumo before they joined a heya.

Not a lot, but that was one of my motivations to join. To work my way up the ranks. But seeing as it’s basically too late to even thinking about it, I’d have to settle for the amateur equivalent of Yokozuna which is disappointing, but I’m sure for the most part, amateur is ok, just not the same as pro, unless someone starts a stable in America lol

Sorry, don't want to be disrespectful, but believe you should know a bit about the sport before you decide you want to do it professionaly and also be the best in the world.

What you are asking is the same as me now showing up in one of NBA's teams and say I want to play for them because I want to be like LB James or Jordan, not ever having touched a ball in my life.

As Kinta said, no way...

39 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Sorry, don't want to be disrespectful, but believe you should know a bit about the sport before you decide you want to do it professionaly and also be the best in the world.

What you are asking is the same as me now showing up in one of NBA's teams and say I want to play for them because I want to be like LB James or Jordan, not ever having touched a ball in my life.

As Kinta said, no way...

I know the sport for the most part. I studied it for years when I was younger. And it was kinda my dream to be a sumo, and to meet the man that was my biggest inspiration. Sumo was like the one sport that inspired me the most. And if I can go pro, guess settling for amateur would have to do.

30 minutes ago, Oushimaru1138 said:

I know the sport for the most part. I studied it for years when I was younger. And it was kinda my dream to be a sumo, and to meet the man that was my biggest inspiration. Sumo was like the one sport that inspired me the most. And if I can go pro, guess settling for amateur would have to do.

Sumo is the name of the sport. What you want is be a rikishi.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

I know, I was just waking up, it was easier to say sumo when I’m half asleep lol

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

or more likely a troll.

• Like 3

Pro-dreams revived: Gianni Infantino has just announced that he has struck a deal with the NSK. Starting from next year, people can buy a place in Makuuchi (M20VIP) for a minor fee in the low two-digit millions (CHF), with a minor share (49,9%) going to FIFA (or rather: some image licensing start-up that happens to have emerged in the Caribean). The reason for this arrangement is World Peace (TM).

So young age and skill are now optional. You just need money.

On second thought, the last sentence describes really almost everything in life.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Pro-dreams revived: Gianni Infantino has just announced that he has struck a deal with the NSK. Starting from next year, people can buy a place in Makuuchi (M20VIP) for a minor fee in the low two-digit millions (CHF), with a minor share (49,9%) going to FIFA (or rather: some image licensing start-up that happens to have emerged in the Caribean). The reason for this arrangement is World Peace (TM).

So young age and skill are now optional. You just need money.

On second thought, the last sentence describes really almost everything in life.

So going by what you said, I could buy my place in a stable? I hope you’re being serious

Edited by Oushimaru1138
  • Like 1