Eikokurai

Kyushu Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I think Arawashi Meise was good example of the dead body "rule" . Kagayaki killing me as usual  going for 7 or 8 wins. He gets a good quality win against shohozan and then can look like shit.  I hope Kise can carry on, but that's just emotion. Takayasu looking strong early which often doesn't happen, could be his first.  Takakeisho the wild wild card. Im routing for him ! 

20 minutes ago, Andonishiki said:

...therefore, I see two options remaining

a) drop out of the basho and retire
b) start winning a few and stay in till at least day 12 without suffering makekoshi by then

I believe the public & the press will continue to support Kise and the Kyokai family/his oyakata/other forces within Sumo 
will do everything they can to realize option b)
1-4 after the Tamawashi fight, 2-4 after day 6 vs Nishikigi, 4-4 after Ryuden and Kaisei
price tag for those four wins.... approx the value of 80-100 kensho envelopes

If he stays in, he is about to enter the soft part of his schedule against rikishi who are already way out of yusho contention. Even in his current condition, he should be able to kick in a short win streak.  If he can make it through day 10 with only 1 more loss, he may be in line for a few gimmes from the top end depending on the state of the yusho race.  If he gets past Tamawashi with a win, he will probably go for it.  I don't plan on putting any cash down on his kachikoshi.

1 hour ago, CT3* said:

It's odd to me to see some folks talking as if Takayasu has this basho pretty much locked up. There's still a whooooole lotta sumo left to this tournament.

For me I just don't see anyone besides Takakeisho who looks very good and I expect the pressure will get to Takakeisho. Tochinoshin does not look strong to me and Goeido has lost too many already. Both could win the yusho but it would mean they have to beat both the other Ozeki, which I don't see them doing. Takayasu can lose 1 of those matches and still get the yusho. Now if Takayasu drops a couple dumb losses before then things are very different and that may well happen. But right now he looks good and has the easiest path IMO. Takakeisho and Tochiozan are both well on their way to double digits and a sansho but I don't think either has what it takes to get through the pressure of the last 5 matches in yusho contention.

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Well Onokuni is speaking from experience having scraped by with an 8-7 more than once in his own yokozuna career.

Not only that, but there's another fairly recent precedent with Yokozuna Takanohana's 8-7 record during Hatsu 1999, so yes 8-7 would be an acceptable record for Kisenosato as well.

I am totally surprised by Tochiozan this basho. I had written him off a year ago as never again doing well in the joi-jin and yet here he is.

Haven't had much to say so far, but glad to see the intensity is ramping up. Takakeisho is looking like a proper bad-ass and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do against Ichinojo and, more importantly, Takayasu.

Kanpai!

With Tochiozan's win today, there are 100 kinboshi in circulation amongst active rikishi. The last time the total was in three figures was the 2002 Aki basho (incidentally, the last complete basho for both Musashimaru and Takanohana). After that the number dropped by 18 due to the retirements of Takatoriki (9), Terao (7) and Minatofuji (3), offset slightly by Kyokutenho winning his first kinboshi. That was the end of a 21-basho streak with over 100 kinboshi in circulation.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just me, or was Mitakeumi robbed today? The top of Myogiryu's big toe was touching clay before Mitakeumi stepped out. Any part of the body other than the soles of the feet after all. Hard to spot I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shatsume said:

Just me, or was Mitakeumi robbed today? The top of Myogiryu's big toe was touching clay before Mitakeumi stepped out. Any part of the body other than the soles of the feet after all. Hard to spot I guess.

They’re usually pretty pragmatic about that stipulation. It’s fairly common to overlook the side of a foot or top of a toe touching the dohyo, especially if it’s not the result of anything the opponent did. Giving Mitakeumi the win when Myogiryu was the clear aggressor would have robbed Myogiryu.

2 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

When was the last time no Yokozuna remained in the tourney?

Only two tournaments ago in July we had a Nokozuna situation. Kise sat out and Hak n Kak pulled out in week 1.

Edited by Tiger Tanaka

15 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

There hasn’t been a Yokozuna present since day one of this tournament.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Only two tournaments ago in July we had a Nokozuna situation. Kise sat out and Hak n Kak pulled out in week 1.

Yes sorry I meant back in the day as opposed to recently. Would it have been when Asashoryu was sole Yokozuna or have there been other tournaments since 2006 where no Yokozuna were competing?

Not at all surprised that Kisenosato has gone kyujo, but would rather have seen him try to get a winning record or go intai. Because unless he suffered a new injury, why prolong the seemingly inevitable?

30 minutes ago, CT3* said:

Not at all surprised that Kisenosato has gone kyujo, but would rather have seen him try to get a winning record or go intai. Because unless he suffered a new injury, why prolong the seemingly inevitable?

Nikkan reports he suffered a right knee sprain in his opening bout against Takakeisho, requiring one month for recovery.

初日の小結貴景勝戦で右膝を捻挫し、1カ月の加療を要する状態であることが判明。

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Nikkan reports he suffered a right knee sprain in his opening bout against Takakeisho, requiring one month for recovery.

初日の小結貴景勝戦で右膝を捻挫し、1カ月の加療を要する状態であることが判明。

And yet wore no support on that knee for the next three days ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, specialweek 2 said:

Yes sorry I meant back in the day as opposed to recently. Would it have been when Asashoryu was sole Yokozuna or have there been other tournaments since 2006 where no Yokozuna were competing?

Yes, the last occurrence of no Yokozuna on the dohyo in a basho before two tournaments ago was during the Natsu basho in 2006 when Asashoryu went kyujo from day 3.

See this this post I made about it in the "Sumo Trivia" section: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/34111-trivia-bits/?do=findComment&comment=368138

Edited by Chijanofuji
error :)

6 minutes ago, Chijanofuji said:

No, the last occurrence of no Yokozuna on the dohyo in a basho before two tournaments ago was during the Haru basho in 1992 when Hokutoumi went kyujo from day 3.

See this this post I made about it in the "Sumo Trivia" section: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/34111-trivia-bits/?do=findComment&comment=368138

I see there were no Yokozuna back in 1992 at one stage on the banzuke but you confuse me. Surely the last time there were no Yokozuna competing(other than last year) was when Asashoryu went kyujo in 2006.

Edited by specialweek 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chijanofuji said:

No, the last occurrence of no Yokozuna on the dohyo in a basho before two tournaments ago was during the Haru basho in 1992 when Hokutoumi went kyujo from day 3.

I don’t understand. Your post shows many more recent examples of times without a Yokozuna appearing for action.

2 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

I see there were no Yokozuna back in 1992 at one stage on the banzuke but you confuse me. Surely the last time there were no Yokozuna competing(other than last year) was when Asashoryu went kyujo in 2006.

Yes, see my corrected post. I quoted myself from the wrong side of the table ;-)

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I don’t understand. Your post shows many more recent examples of times without a Yokozuna appearing for action.

Yes, You are right. I corrected my error just now.

• Thanks 1

Right knee...Hum.Right. Came on Kise...No more nō.

The yokozuna its the man who stomps the demons out of the mud pile. If you cant go for the big macarron you should not be the zuna. Respect the rope. Show some hinkaku.

Farewell Mr. Hagiwara.

• Like 1

Sheesh. So much Kise bashing around here. To think that he was the toast of the town around here last year. And now people are kicking down the man who carried the weight of his people over his broken body.

Tsk tsk.

I, for one, would like to give him props for at least gambarizing his way through it all. I can't even imagine the pressure, frustration, and disappointment the man must be experiencing right now.

The man tried...at least give him that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, akumadzeki said:

Tochiozan is good as well , he has beaten two sekiwake, odzeki and yokozuna so far. It is quite early to say something, but he looks promising to be winner of this basho. Let see what will happen tomorrow. He fights Takayasu, another ozeki

IMHO, I think Tochiozan is having a good basho so far but may be the 1st one to vow out of the yusho race.   He's not in the same class/level as Takayasu, Takakeisho looks just so darn dominant in this basho, and there are others who are still in contention who can beat Tochiozan on normal day.   But sumo is unpredictable and Tochiozan can take the yusho just to spite my HO.   B-)

• Haha 1