Eikokurai

Kyushu Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

If Kisenosato manages to get kachikoshi that would require him to win 8 of his remaining 12 bouts. Not going to happen. He has Tochiozan today and Tamawashi tomorrow. He will go kyujo on Friday. So sad.

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't think so. It's about 7000 tops, way less than the KKan. Day 1 was something like 6800 and called a full house.

Per the Japanese Wikipedia, its approximate capacity is 10000 total: 6000 in the lowest tier, 2500 in the middle and 1500 in the uppermost. 

Great bout between Takanoiwa and Ikioi. Ikioi had to work hard for that win. Pleased to see him off the mark.

Oh dear. That was an uncomfortable watch. I like Tochiozan to do well and on any other day I'd cheer for him, but I also didn't want Kisenosato to lose and face that decision he's been avoiding. The despair on his face as they explained the decision was palpable.

Edited by Eikokurai

All aboard the Takakeisho bandwagon!   Zensho yusho for Takakeisho while at it.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, akumadzeki said:

Tochinoshin got his favourite grip and Kaisei had no chances.

Mr. T simply lifted Kaisei out of the ring.  The man got strength.

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Mr. T simply lifted Kaisei out of the ring.  The man got strength.

Yep, he is strong. But he needs to improve the other techniques too. Yesterday he  almost lost to  Myogiryu

Ouch. Kisenosato with his fourth loss on a mono-ii. Could this be the beginning of the end, or at least a kyujo for Kyushu?

Just now, akumadzeki said:

Sole youkozuna lost again. One more kinboshi from him. Tochiozan baravo

I can hear the fat lady singing ... for Kise.   He just does not have it in this basho.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akumadzeki said:

Yep, he is strong. But he needs to improve the other techniques too. Yesterday he  almost lost to  Myogiryu

I give Myogiryu some credit.  He looks good so far despite his 2-2 record.  

Is it Taka's basho?  Takakeisho or Takayasu?  That's the question.

That's history. No Yokozuna in the 15-day era has lost his first four bouts, excluding fusenpai. The only other instance of it was in 1931 in an 11-day tournament by Miyagiyama.

I have to give some credit to the shimpan there. There must have been some temptation to give the lone Japanese Yokozuna the win, but they did the right thing.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I can hear the fat lady singing ... for Kise.   He just does not have it in this basho.   

If Kise retires, the will be no Japanese yokozuna. Will the sumo elders handle that fact easily? :D

9 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I give Myogiryu some credit.  He looks good so far despite his 2-2 record.  

It could be a very bittersweet basho for Tagonoura-beya if Takayasu wins his hatsu yusho but Kisenosato ends up retiring. For Takayasu's sake, I hope he doesn't win or Kise battles on instead of raining on his yusho parade.

Kintamayama already answered this in the second post in this topic, and also it was recently discussed here (you can scroll up or down to view the entire discussion if you wish). The current capacity for spectators watching ozumo at Fukuoka Kokusai Centre has been established. We don't need three threads discussing venue seating and daily attendance.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Tochiozan is good as well , he has beaten two sekiwake, odzeki and yokozuna so far. It is quite early to say something, but he looks promising to be winner of this basho. Let see what will happen tomorrow. He fights Takayasu, another ozeki

Oh dear. 

Hokotofuji Ichinojo was great though. Great job by Hokotofuji.

Mitakeumi basically blew his Ozeki run today, Goeido basically blew his Yokozuna run yesterday, Kisenosatos Yokozuna career is doomed, so what?

I let the Takakeisho bandwagon pass. I have seen great bouts of him in the past, he is dangerous to anyone. But I also clearly recall silly losses out of being overeager. I can not believe in Yusho let alone Zensho for him - sorry.

It's Takayasu time - you heard it here first! :-)

4 hours ago, akumadzeki said:

If Kise retires, the will be no Japanese yokozuna. Will the sumo elders handle that fact easily? :D

They handled it quite well for 14 odd years, so yes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Another tough loss for Kise. No luck whatsoever this basho. The sumo gods may be telling him something. We've probably seen the last of him this basho.

Takakeisho looked great, but he can be streaky. When he loses one, he'll lose 3. I don't see him winning this basho. On the other hand Takayasu is looking better each match. It's increasingly looking like if he beats either Tochinoshin or Goeido this yusho is his.

As for Kise Intai? I don't think he'll do that here. I think he'll come back in January. He'll lose there too but I think he will want to go out in Tokyo when he does announce. 

Edited by Rocks

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Ouch. Kisenosato with his fourth loss on a mono-ii. Could this be the beginning of the end, or at least a kyujo for Kyushu?

There’s no way he’s not retiring at this point. I really hope.

Takakeishō is looking great, while most others aren’t other than Takayasu. Would be funny if Takakeishō got the yūshō, but I think it’s finally Takayasu’s time.

Oh, I seem to have been forgetting Tochiōzan… not sure how I missed him going 4–0. Return to old form?

I hope Mitakeumi and Tochinoshin can pile up wins despite not looking great so far. Kaisei–Tochinoshin was definitely “lethargic sumō”, and I mean that literally on the part of Kaisei not with a different meaning. He just showed up. lol

Edited by ALAKTORN
  • Like 1