Eikokurai

Kyushu Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Man oh man, was Shikimori Yonokichi ever nervous up on the dohyo!  Did anyone else see his gunbai hand shaking and his free hand pinching his kimono?  Was it just nerves or residual illness?

16 hours ago, Shio-kago said:

I joked a little, last basho, at the expense of the people who keep insisting that the other guys will soon be "figuring out" Takakeisho.  Now, in all seriousness, I'm taking the position that it's not gonna happen.

My reason for thinking so is that, I'm pretty sure now, Takakeisho is the guy who figures you out. His ability to get into, and then manipulate, his opponents rhythm and distance is exceptionally good. It looked to me like that was Kisenosato's exact strategy in their match tonight, and he got beaten at the game.

I am very impressed. I still can't see Takakeisho as an Ozeki; wrong body, I think. But he is a very talented and resourceful Rikishi. Great work tonight.

Count me in on the Takakeisho bandwagon.

It's hard to predict if he's Ozeki material, but I'd argue that his body-type is the very thing that makes him such a tough match-up. His short stature and stocky, low center of gravity means that it's almost impossible to push up on him, while instead he's always the one naturally pushing upward on his opponent. Further, his style of sumo is well grounded so long-term he's less likely to suffer a major injury compared to high-flying counterparts like Ura or Chiyonokuni.

Combine those attributes with surprising agility, above average ring sense, and an a feisty attitude of not backing down from anyone, Yokozuna included, and I believe that minimally he'll be a Sanyaku regular for years to come with at least a shot at some point of making an Ozeki run.  

Of course, know one really knows how it will all pan out, which is part of what makes following the career arcs of promising rikishi so fascinating.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Despite switching stable masters since September, Takakeisho may just surprise everyone this tournament, and dare I say, ... win the championship.  At this point, that contention is not altogether farfetched.  And, if he were to win, it would be a sweet and silent victory for Hanada Koji (a.k.a. Takanohana)!  

Would that be Chiganoura-beya’s first yusho? If so, that’d be a pretty cheeky way of getting it!

It’s much easier to be a Takakeisho fan than it is to be a fan of the other rikishi I root for: when he wins he deserves the win, and when he loses he was truly beaten. Unlike, Abi doing the same thing over and over, or Chiyonokuni managing to find a way to step out in every other match. Takakeisho always puts forth max effort.

• Like 2

It's hard to believe that Takakeisho (taking into account height and style) will be able to show consistently high results. 

Not ozeki material just now. 

Oh wow. Been too busy to follow or watch the sumo today and just checked the results. Kise doesn’t seem to be handling the “representative Yokozuna” role that well. Good to see Tochinoshin get off the mark and Takakeisho take the Ozeki scalp. That’s a terrific start for him. Further down the banzuke I’m pleased to see Kotoshogiku and Asanoyama picking up early wins. The latter should get as many as he can get in case he gets thrown to a few of the yaku guys later.

• Like 2

Has Chiyoshoma turned over a new non-henka leaf? It's day 2 and already no sign of one (Laughing...) Just a kekaeshi instead

• Haha 1

Fantastic matches today. Takayasu Won like an Ozeki against a determined Hoktofuji. Chiyoshoma with a leg kick ?  He's always a nasty bugger. Takakeisho showing amazing fighting spirit and I'm sure nobody is safe from him right now. 

2 hours ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

Has Chiyoshoma turned over a new non-henka leaf? It's day 2 and already no sign of one (Laughing...) Just a kekaeshi instead

More and more he reminds me of Tokitenku

• Sad 1

Myogiryu's strategy today was well-executed, the way he got his right hand inside first, taking his chance to get his left hand inside as well, all the while making sure that Kisenosato doesn't get a left hand grip

• Like 1

Oh boy, Kisenosato looked terrible today. Now all the retirement talk will start up again :-( He just doesn’t seem to have any power, or any clue what to do if he can’t get his favoured grip. 

• Sad 1

Today’s Goeido showed just why he’s such a hard rikishi to root for. Was he not paying attention at all yesterday? He lost to almost exactly the same left-arm tsukiotoshi that Takakeisho took Kisenosato down with. 

• Like 3

What an awful start for Kisenosato and he's got Hoktofuji next who has looked very good in his 2 losses. Really outside of Tochiozan and Takakeisho, who I don't think will factor in the Yusho, no one has looked good  at all. Even Takayasu scrapped out his 2 wins. But he has Kaisei next would should be an easy win for him.  If he settles in an keeps winning it's looking good for him and the yusho. If he doesn't then it's a free for all. I think the winner will have 13 wins at most though and 12 is not out of the question.

It seems Takakeisho's height (or the lack of it) and weight is quite an advantage at the moment. It's always said the goal is to push the opponent up, so he looses footing and balance. How do you push someone up who is smaller and fatter than you? Most of the guys would have to kneel down to do that.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Today’s Goeido showed just why he’s such a hard rikishi to root for. 

I solve this problem by not rooting for him :-)

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Tochinoshin seems a bit lost. I assume it's related to his taped fingers on the right hand. He can't seem to go for a grip with them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Today’s Goeido showed just why he’s such a hard rikishi to root for. Was he not paying attention at all yesterday? He lost to almost exactly the same left-arm tsukiotoshi that Takakeisho took Kisenosato down with. 

I think he payed attention well. When the match started I actually said to myself "Attaboy! Make him come to you. He won't get your timing." Then he went and pulled a different blunder.

After not getting suckered into a pushing match, I think he anticipated that Takakeisho was going to try and come in hard and low, so he dropped his shoulder to take the charge and instead Takakeisho stepped to the outside and shoved him from the rear. 

It was pretty foolish of him, and an embarrassing way to lose, but I think the resemblance to Kisenosato's loss the day before was superficial.

7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Was he not paying attention at all yesterday?

I think his lack of attention may have had something to do with him being head-butted very hard to the jaw. That kind of thing tends to affect your concentration. 

4 hours ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

Tochinoshin seems a bit lost. I assume it's related to his taped fingers on the right hand. He can't seem to go for a grip with them.

It looked like he was only using his right arm as an arm bar (and a Takayasu-esque tachiai blast).

3 hours ago, Shio-kago said:

I think he payed attention well. When the match started I actually said to myself "Attaboy! Make him come to you. He won't get your timing." Then he went and pulled a different blunder.

After not getting suckered into a pushing match, I think he anticipated that Takakeisho was going to try and come in hard and low, so he dropped his shoulder to take the charge and instead Takakeisho stepped to the outside and shoved him from the rear. 

It was pretty foolish of him, and an embarrassing way to lose, but I think the resemblance to Kisenosato's loss the day before was superficial.

He turned his right shoulder on, which left him vulnerable to Takakeisho’s left arm, which is one of his main weapons. The bout as a whole didn’t resemble the Kisenosato one, but the winning move was almost exactly the same: left-arm chop across the right shoulder. Goeido’s initial tactics may have been fine but he dropped the wrong shoulder. He should have turned to his right.

• Like 1

Kaisei's Day 3 return literally restores "order" to the torikumi.  EM16 v WM16 ...

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Although two Yokozunas are kyujo, it still seems a little suspicious to me that Takakeisho (East Komusubi) is matched against Ryuden (WM3) on Day 3.  In the last tournament, the East Komusubi was not matched against a Maegashira opponent until Day 9!  Is the Kyokai perhaps worried that Takakeisho will tear through (i.e., embarrass) the sanyaku at his current rate?

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

He turned his right shoulder on, which left him vulnerable to Takakeisho’s left arm, which is one of his main weapons. The bout as a whole didn’t resemble the Kisenosato one, but the winning move was almost exactly the same: left-arm chop across the right shoulder. Goeido’s initial tactics may have been fine but he dropped the wrong shoulder. He should have turned to his right.

We're more in agreement than not, then. I haven't previously thought of that left side attack as one of Takakeisho's main weapons, so I felt that the difference in the way that the two men left themselves open to it was the most significant point. You may be right that the attack itself is something deserving special respect. I'll be watching for it in the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shio-kago said:

We're more in agreement than not, then. I haven't previously thought of that left side attack as one of Takakeisho's main weapons, so I felt that the difference in the way that the two men left themselves open to it was the most significant point. You may be right that the attack itself is something deserving special respect. I'll be watching for it in the future.

It may well be that I’m overemphasizing it and being influenced by the previous day’s bout, though I do recall a particularly brutal left-handed harite on Mitakeumi in September that even I felt at home. 

Edited by Eikokurai