Eikokurai

Kyushu Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Soukokurai 6-0 at Makushita 5. Next basho probably back to sekitori, on his way back to Makuuchi.

Ura 6-0 at Sandanme 33. Probably aced his Makushita promotion already.

Houshouryuu 5-1 at Makushita 49

Naya 4-2 at Sandanme 11, Makushita next basho.

With links to their last bout:

Soukokurai 6-0 at Makushita 5. Next basho probably back to sekitori, on his way back to Makuuchi.

Ura 6-0 at Sandanme 33. Probably aced his Makushita promotion already.

Houshouryuu 5-1 at Makushita 49

Naya 4-2 at Sandanme 11, Makushita next basho.

Edited by Kintamayama

- That should have been a re-do between Ichinojo v Takayasu, especially since the former was driving the latter out. Too bad he didn't put up a similar fight earlier this basho though, a sleeping giant if there ever was one.

- Can't believe Aoiyama has gone 9-0 after losing the first two, what a turnaround - though one of those loses was Onosho, so makes sense. He deserves it though, he has been fighting very well.

Does anyone else think that maybe Mitakeumi got his bell wrung a little bit on that last slap from Yoshikaze?

57 minutes ago, Highway said:

- Can't believe Aoiyama has gone 9-0 after losing the first two, what a turnaround - though one of those loses was Onosho, so makes sense. He deserves it though, he has been fighting very well.

Aoiyama is upper-maegashira material. It shouldn't be a surprise to see him tearing it up on the lower end if he's healthy. (Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like him, but give credit where it's due, he's a pretty good sumotori.)

• Like 1

Mitakeumi (bell rung or not) is not the sekitori he was back in Nagoya.  He managed to cling to a potential Ozeki run in September, and "going into" November.  But with six losses to date, he has thrown all his hard work away.  In a way, this is a good thing.  Clearly, he is not quite ready (consistent enough) for Ozeki status.  If he's lucky, he might still be able to keep his Sekiwake status, but ...

Mitakeumi's poor showing also means that he won't be challenging Tochinoshin for most Makuuchi wins in 2018.  Tochinoshin has in fact already clinched the "most wins" title.  The only remaining question is: will he reach 60?  A basic KK will get him to 59.  As an Ozeki, one would expect him to reach 61 (with 10 wins in this tournament) if not more.  At this stage, 61 would be his max! 

Edited by Amamaniac

Is it my imagination, or are we going to see a complete sell out for all days of the six 2018 official tournaments?  Perhaps the Kyushu sell-outs are skewed, since it was reported that tickets were given away.  But all in all, the NSK has done financially well (i.e., ticket sales) under Hakkaku, or should I say "under Yokozuna Kisenosato"?

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I liked Kaisei’s Hakuho impression* today. A valiant effort to stay on his feet.

*Day 15, Aki 2012 against a zensho-pursuing Harumafuji. One of the greatest bouts of all time.

Video for those who don't remember:

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Kotomiyama said:

*Day 15, Aki 2012 against a zensho-pursuing Harumafuji. One of the greatest bouts of all time.

Was that Aminishiki hugging Harumafuji after the match?

5 hours ago, Highway said:

Every match except for one was against Maeg [double digit] ranked opponents.   If he gets the yusho, it'd be a huge steal.

48 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Was that Aminishiki hugging Harumafuji after the match?

Looks like it. Stable mates.

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Is it my imagination, or are we going to see a complete sell out for all days of the six 2018 official tournaments?  Perhaps the Kyushu sell-outs are skewed, since it was reported that tickets were given away.  But all in all, the NSK has done financially well (i.e., ticket sales) under Hakkaku, or should I say "under Yokozuna Kisenosato"?

Not sold outs, that run was stopped day 2. Full house yes.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Mitakeumi (bell rung or not) is not the sekitori he was back in Nagoya.  He managed to cling to a potential Ozeki run in September, and "going into" November.  But with six losses to date, he has thrown all his hard work away.  In a way, this is a good thing.  Clearly, he is not quite ready (consistent enough) for Ozeki status.  If he's lucky, he might still be able to keep his Sekiwake status, but ...

Mitakeumi isn't ready to be an Ozeki yet.   He has proven that in the last two basho.   I am not sure what will get him over the hump: more weight? stamina? technique? 

Edited by robnplunder

2 hours ago, Kotomiyama said:

Video for those who don't remember:

What an insane bout.

35 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Looks like it. Stable mates.

Thought so.  He looked more "well-fed" and less beat up six years ago.;-)

8 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Wasn't Ichinojo robbed of at least a do-over?

Yes, his foot was out first, but where is the rule of the attacker has advantage that the judges like to use to do a do-over or even give the win to the guy that steps out first?

I thought it was too close and a redo was in order

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Mitakeumi is not quite the finished article yet. He is more raw potential that is in the process of being shaped into something great, than the complete package. But the yusho proved what he is capable of given the chance and he consistently learns and improves. He might not be Ozeki-ready yet, but it won't be too long coming.

Damn, my boy Ichi is having a lousy basho...But what can i say? Breaking the f*dohyo is way cooler than take the yusho. Mf* did it, Godzilla style.

• Haha 1

So Takayasu now has Mitakeumi and Takakeisho to fight. Who else would be a possibility? Daieisho, Aoiyama or Onosho depending on who wins their bouts.

Would they really give him someone so far down the banzuke, though? Aoiyama is the only one of those with credible time in the meat grinder, and I would think they'd try to find a rikishi ranked higher up that's risking makekoshi. 

With Goeido out, I'd expect Tochi, Takayasu, and Mita to get matched up against Aoiyama and Daieisho in days 13,14

17 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

This is related to something I've wondered for a long time now. The yobidashi use watering cans to occasionally sprinkle water inside the tawara from time to time throughout the day, presumably to keep both the sand and clay from drying out. After the day's matches are done, they cover the dohyo with a tarp until the following morning. While they do give the top of the dohyo a final sweep and the inside of the ring a final sprinkle before the tarp comes out, they do not wet the top of the dohyo outside the ring, nor the sides. And as we can see, it get's progressively drier and more cracked as the basho progresses. Why not sprinkle the whole dohyo before covering for the night?

The sprinkles you see are to keep dust down. It really doesn't penetrate deep enough to keep those structural cracks from happening. The nightly tarp is probably the best that can be done as far as that goes.

11 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Would they really give him someone so far down the banzuke, though? Aoiyama is the only one of those with credible time in the meat grinder, and I would think they'd try to find a rikishi ranked higher up that's risking makekoshi. 

Asanoyama is next ranked he could meet but today trying to avoid MK. 

After watching the end of the Takayasu/Ichinojo bout several times, it looked to me like Takayasu got away with a hair pull.

Edited by CT3*