Eikokurai

Kyushu Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Dang, Aoiyama slapped Daiamami so many times my face started to hurt.

• Like 1

-taoshi (倒し) requires falling off your feet.  -otoshi (落とし) just requires moving downward.  For completeness, -dashi (出し) requires leaving the ring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Atenzan said:

'm struggling to see why the kimarite by which Takakeishou won today was a hikiotoshi. Yes, he did pull his aite down, but not only did Myougiryuu not fall down following the pull, but he also stayed in the dohyo on his feet. It clearly seemed to be an okuridashi to me. And in any case, any kimarite that ends in - otoshi must involve someone falling down, right? The clue appears to be in the name. 

I watched today's action after reading your post.  The first time through, it seemed as though Myogiryu lost when he stepped forward out of the ring near the edge (i.e., okuridashi).  But when I rewatched the bout, I noticed that he did, in fact, drop his right hand/palm down on the ring shortly after Takakeisho shifted left and yanked him down.  The fact that Myogiryu dropped a part of his body (other than his foot) onto the ring probably constitutes the otoshi ruling.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

After 47 consecutive basho in the Makushita ranks, Irodori was brought up to Juryo for the first time on Day 7 and got to wear an oichomage. Toyonoshima's deashi was too good though, leaving Irodori with a 2-2 record.

Spoiler

qNNo9bsn_o.jpg

KfVHsPwj_o.jpg

C1eYgx2w_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Atenzan said:

I'm struggling to see why the kimarite by which Takakeishou won today was a hikiotoshi. Yes, he did pull his aite down, but not only did Myougiryuu not fall down

He didn't fall down, but he touched the ground with his hand. Hikiotoshi for sure.

vlcsnap-2018-11-19-01h10m31s773.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

After 47 consecutive basho in the Makushita ranks, Irodori was brought up to Juryo for the first time on Day 7 and got to wear an oichomage. Toyonoshima's deashi was too good though, leaving Irodori with a 2-2 record.

Reveal hidden contents

qNNo9bsn_o.jpg

KfVHsPwj_o.jpg

C1eYgx2w_o.jpg

Do day trippers to juryo get any kind of compensation or is it like an unpaid sekitori internship?

17 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Any idea why this got a late matta call by the head shinpan? Even the gyoji was confused.

Shimpan was also confused because Ishiura didn't henka.  Second time: "alright then."

Incidentally, Aminishiki looked at the shimpan like the guy just grabbed a steak off his plate.

I have tickets for Wednesday and Thursday and am pumped. Last year I got 14 signatures of both oyakata and current sekitori. Hope to do better this time. For me the Kyushu basho is the best.

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Ura at 5-0 after defeating Kurahashi by hatakikomi.

One more win and he could be in Makushita in the next basho

On Chiyomaru vs Yutakayama - the guy with longer reach won :-D.   Whoever goes against Takakeisho should take a note.

Edited by robnplunder

On 17/11/2018 at 21:31, Jakusotsu said:

Any idea why this got a late matta call by the head shinpan? Even the gyoji was confused.

Pretty disgraceful. You can see the head shimpan didn't call for it right away. It would have been a pretty dull bout, but if he meant to stop it he should have done so immediately.

Takakeisho destroyed Tochinoshin at the tachi-ai. 

Takakeisho hit Tochinoshin like a truck. That wasn't the most entertaining match of the day, but I have to name it the best win. KA-BLAM!

The Takakeisho interviews are the best: his signature phrase again this time, about the win: Neither good, nor bad (yoku mo, waruku mo nai)

• Like 4

Mitakeumi resembling a car without petrol today...just goes to show how much the lad put into his yusho win, he still hasn't picked up his energy levels yet, it took him some time to climb the dohyo after his loss. Hopefully this will encourage him to pick up his training, I and many other would love to see him do well.

Ichinojo finally came to life again, it will be interesting to see what score he finishes this basho on...will he just scrape through again?

Ryuden has looked composed the last two days, showing a patience that he definitely didn’t not long ago. I wouldn’t say he was ever in control against Mitakeumi but he bided his time in defence. He took a similar approach with Takayasu yesterday, though it didn’t quite pay off. His strategy in the bouts he’s presumed to lose seems now to be play it cool and wait for an opening. 

Tochiozan looked like he picked up a knock on the edge of the dohyo. Hope that he brushes it off as he’s still in need of a few more wins and the momentum is not with him. An injury won’t help.

Edited by Eikokurai

That was some arm strength from Kaisei today to be able to do that to Tochiozan.

• Like 1

Kyujo alert!! Kyujo alert!! Tochinoshin was dragging his foot after the bout and said he feels pain in his left hip joint and was looking very dejected, probably also due to the loss itself. When asked what happened at the tachiai, he answered: "I don't remember. I don't know.." So, who knows. We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Kyujo alert!! Kyujo alert!! Tochinoshin was dragging his foot after the bout and said he feels pain in his left hip joint and was looking very dejected, probably also due to the loss itself. When asked what happened at the tachiai, he answered: "I don't remember. I don't know.." So, who knows. We shall see.

Oh dear. Kadoban for new year.

12 hours ago, Chojin said:

I have tickets for Wednesday and Thursday and am pumped. Last year I got 14 signatures of both oyakata and current sekitori. Hope to do better this time. For me the Kyushu basho is the best.

Lucky you!  Where are your seats?  I don't exactly know how far back the boxed seats go in the Fukuoka Kokusai Center, but some of the seating looks pretty far away from the dohyo.

Good luck with the signatures this time around.  Hope you get some big names.

Edited by Amamaniac

I knew it was gonna be a bad day when i checked my game results. Losses at ISP and Toto and only 3 of 10 picks correct at Sumo Game meant something went horribly wrong at the upper ranks. Well, it did. 

At least the result of this all is an interesting leader board.

7 hours ago, robnplunder said:

One more win and he could be in Makushita in the next basho

More to the point, he's a major factor in the yusho arasoi, and winning the Sandanme yusho would give him even more upward propulsion.

• Like 1