Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Match of the Basho - Kyushu 2018 Submissions Open

Kyushu 2018 will close out the year but not before we get our fill of wild matches! I opening up the thread for submissions for your picks for match of the basho which will go to a poll after the basho is over.

1. Open to everyone to submit your favorite matches for the basho
2. You can submit a match from all six divisions
3. Post the names of the wrestlers from the match and also their division (if you have a video link that will be great too!)
4. Once submissions are closed the list will be compiled and put into a poll
5. The top 10 5 ranked matches in the poll will go on to the super poll for match of the year
6. You can submit as many matches as you like

Any questions please let me know!

Makuuchi Day 1 - Takakeisho vs. Kisenosato

Makuuchi Day 3 - Tochiozan vs. Goeido 

Honorary mention:

Day 15: Shohozan v Tochinoshin – the first one that didn't count

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Honorary mention:

Day 15: Shohozan v Tochinoshin – the first one that didn't count

If there was a Shaqtin' a fool version of sumo, this match ought to be the top match of the year and the gyoji the Shaqtin' MVP of the year. This match was soo f***ed up it was ridiculous. Matta called by the head judge and the gyoji still continued the match "Nokotta-ing" for a whopping 8 seconds as the judge had his hand up in right front of the him. 8 freaking seconds! Either the gyoji did not see or chose to ignore it. Either way, bad look on him. This ain't American football wherein even if a flag is called you still continue play. The 2nd matta called by the gyoji was terrible. There was nothing wrong with their tachiai. And he missed the step out of Tochinoshin because he was out of position to see what was going on critical side of the match. And apparently, if Ross Mihara's explanation in the commentary (which was also a sumo Shaqtin MVP nominee if you ask me) is to be believed, the gyoji, after seeing Tochinoshin 'win' by Yokiri pointed his paddle to Shohozan's side. One of the replays confirm this. It's like was the gyoji drunk or high? So many bad calls in a match. Terrible. Just terrible.

OK. So I'm officially naming the Shaqtin' A Fool version of sumo "Nokotta-in' A Fool"

The question now is what hashtag to use when pointing out bad sumo play.

#nokottain or #nokottin

Vote now! :D

On 26/11/2018 at 07:13, yutarotanaka said:

If there was a Shaqtin' a fool version of sumo, this match ought to be the top match of the year and the gyoji the Shaqtin' MVP of the year. This match was soo f***ed up it was ridiculous. Matta called by the head judge and the gyoji still continued the match "Nokotta-ing" for a whopping 8 seconds as the judge had his hand up in right front of the him. 8 freaking seconds! Either the gyoji did not see or chose to ignore it. Either way, bad look on him. This ain't American football wherein even if a flag is called you still continue play. The 2nd matta called by the gyoji was terrible. There was nothing wrong with their tachiai. And he missed the step out of Tochinoshin because he was out of position to see what was going on critical side of the match. And apparently, if Ross Mihara's explanation in the commentary (which was also a sumo Shaqtin MVP nominee if you ask me) is to be believed, the gyoji, after seeing Tochinoshin 'win' by Yokiri pointed his paddle to Shohozan's side. One of the replays confirm this. It's like was the gyoji drunk or high? So many bad calls in a match. Terrible. Just terrible.

Which makes it all the more mystifying why the NSK has promoted this incompetent, Shikimori Kandayu, to tate-gyoji for January! Maybe they've done it so they can sack him for imcompetence before March...

Back on topic, my vote goes to Kotoshogiku vs Shohozan.

The gyoji wasn't all that bad. He clearly saw that Tochinoshin's foot dragged out, but since he wasn't 100% sure he let the match go on. I mean, it would have been even more embarassing to stop the match only to make the check and see that his foot wasn't out. After the match he probably had a quick look to check the imprint and pointed to Shohozan's side.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Doitsuyama said:

The gyoji wasn't all that bad.

Oh, yes he was!

Doing the job right at the third attempt is hardly the standard expected of a tate-gyoji.

He missed the head shimpan's raised hand calling the first matta (FWIW, I saw it straight away).

His call for the second matta was lousy.

Yes, spotting Tochinoshin's toe go out was good, but the damage had already been done by then.

• Like 2

It seems strange to see a debate about the quality of refereeing on a sumo thread, since gyoji are by most accounts one of the least relevant officials in sport. They have so little to do during a bout there’s rarely room for controversy. 

It seems strange to have my thread derailed by talking about the gyoji and his job when that could be discussed in the actual Kyushu honbasho thread.

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

It seems strange to have my thread derailed by talking about the gyoji and his job when that could be discussed in the actual Kyushu honbasho thread.

And it has been pointed out to me that there is an actual excellent "The Gyoji" thread.

• Haha 1