Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Rikishi Status Kyushu 2018 - D7 Withdraws

Day 3 Recap, Day 5, Day 5 Late, Day 7 ,

Based on information on the NSK website, the following sekitori rikishi will be absent on Day 1 of the 2018 Kyushu basho (subject to change). The status of all other rikishi will be revealed in about 24 hours.

Ye HAKUHO   (link) (link2)
Yw KAKURYU   (link)
Kw KAISEI   (link)

Makushita
Ms42e OMOTO
Ms53w MUSASHIKUNI   (link)

Sandanme
Sd10w OKORYU
Sd12w MURATA
Sd27w TERUNOFUJI
Sd28w FUKUGORIKI
Sd29w AMAKAZE
Sd69w UNZENDAKE
Sd86w TSUGARUUMI
Sd88w RENDAIYAMA

Jonidan
Jd20e NAKANISHI
Jd22w NAKATANI
Jd25w TOKIKAZE
Jd45e MASUTENRYU
Jd53w MATSUYAMA
Jd72w DAISEIHO
Jd88w TERUNOHANA
Jd94w HANASHI   (link)
Jd100e YABUOKA
Jd106w OKUNIASAHI

Jonokuchi
Jk7w HATAKEYAMA
Jk9w KITANOMINE|
Jk10e IGUCHI
Jk16w HIGOHIKARI
Jk22w TAKANORYU
Jk25e CHIYOOUME   (link)
Jk25w YAMANAKA
Jk27w RYUGA
Jk29e WATANABE

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

The top 16 joi now extends down to M5e Chiyotairyu. There will only be 20 intra-sanyaku bouts.

1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

The top 16 joi now extends down to M5e Chiyotairyu. There will only be 20 intra-sanyaku bouts.

I would think Kaisei has some probability of entering late.  Well, I suppose Kakuryu and Hakuho do as well, but far less motivation.

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I would think Kaisei has some probability of entering late.  Well, I suppose Kakuryu and Hakuho do as well, but far less motivation.

2 weeks to heal is the certificate, so I doubt that..

Just now, Kintamayama said:

2 weeks to heal is the certificate, so I doubt that..

...which usually translates as "he'll enter within one week".

7 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

...which usually translates as "he'll enter within one week".

We shall see.. "If he rests for about three days, he will appear. We will have to see how it goes. He was doing good keiko so it's regrettable," said Tomozuna Oyakata, so you guys may be right.

Edited by Kintamayama

6 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

With Kisenosato and Takayasu both being from Taganoura it also means that Asanoyama at M5W will probably have to fight one or both of them.

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

With Kisenosato and Takayasu both being from Taganoura it also means that Asanoyama at M5W will probably have to fight one or both of them.

Asanoyama is also likely to face Tochinoshin (who can't face Tochiozan) and Goeido (who can't face Myogiryu), so if Kaisei does not return quickly he may very well face all active yokozuna and ozeki.

• Like 1

Kakuryu since during the Aki jungyo was plagued by pain from an old injury to the right ankle. He was in hospital on the 7th for a check and was diagnosed with right ankle subtalar joint damage 右距踵関節損傷. 2 weeks rest needed. He went on degeiko that day and considered entering, but came to the conclusion that 15 days would be difficult. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/11/09/0011803298.shtml

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sandanme 27 Ex-Ozeki Terunofuji out again. "He's training and receiving treatment and hopefully will be ready for Hatsu," said Isegahama Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Flohru said:

Asanoyama is also likely to face Tochinoshin (who can't face Tochiozan) and Goeido (who can't face Myogiryu), so if Kaisei does not return quickly he may very well face all active yokozuna and ozeki.

I forgot about the Kasugano & Sakaigawa prohibited matchups. Would this bring Takanoiwa (who looks a bit dodgy injury-wise) or even Kagayaki up into the list of sacrificial victims?

?? Kasugano & Sakaigawa prohibited matchups??

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

?? Kasugano & Sakaigawa prohibited matchups??

Kasugano rikishi Tochinoshin and Tochiozan can't face each other. Sakaigawa rikishi Goeido and Myogiryu can't face other.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Sandanme 27 Ex-Ozeki Terunofuji out again. "He's training and receiving treatment and hopefully will be ready for Hatsu," said Isegahama Oyakata.

Wow, just wow.   It will be a long climb back if he has stomach to come back at all.

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Wow, just wow.   It will be a long climb back if he has stomach to come back at all.

Well he hasn't retired so one assumes that it is intention, otherwise why keep at it?

You've got to admire Terunofuji's tenacity after all these awful injuries. There was a time when he was fighting toe to toe with the very best. Sincerely hope he makes it back to the top someday somehow.

• Like 3

To an ex-Ozeki like Terunofuji I doubt there’s a whole world of difference between Sandanme 1, 27 or 50. The ‘benefits’ are the same and, frankly speaking, wherever he starts fighting from if he ever returns, I think he will end up in more or less the same place. 

Seems like an unusually large number of guys withdrawn from the lower 3 divisions. Maybe not though.

On 08/11/2018 at 20:36, Fukurou said:

....Ms53w MUSASHIKUNI

Anybody have any information as to the cause of his absence? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

You've got to admire Terunofuji's tenacity after all these awful injuries. There was a time when he was fighting toe to toe with the very best. Sincerely hope he makes it back to the top someday somehow.

I wouldn't call it a "tenacity."    He had injuries which he didn't properly address.   He either tried to come back prematurely, or fought with injuries.   That was unwise (or stupid).  He gets no admiration from me.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I wouldn't call it a "tenacity."    He had injuries which he didn't properly address.   He either tried to come back prematurely, or fought with injuries.   That was unwise (or stupid).  He gets no admiration from me.

As we can know almost nothing about the circumstances (only through the media prism) and what he himself is and was going through, I wouldn't presume to make such harsh judgements. But hey...it's the internet. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I wouldn't call it a "tenacity."    He had injuries which he didn't properly address.   He either tried to come back prematurely or foought with injuries. That was unwise (or stupid).  He gets no admiration from me.

>He had injuries which he didn't properly address.  He either tried to come back prematurely or foought with injuries.

He may have had little or nothing to say about treatment of his injuries and when to compete or to go kyujo. Chances are very good that those decisions were made by others.

>That was unwise (or stupid).

I agree.

>He gets no admiration from me.

Occasionally, a rikishi may decide on his own whether or not to have medical treatment, including surgery. He may even decide by himself whether to compete in a basho or go kyujo. But for the most part, such decisions are made in conjunction with his oyakata and other advisors. In the case of a rikishi with chronic physical problems lasting over a long period of time, the fault for not addressing them must lie with people who supposedly look out for his welfare--and completely fail to do so. Terunofuji has had to follow advice from a group of people who at least so far, out of seemingly total neglect, have destroyed his career.

Edited by sekitori

People tend to forget that a former Ozeki recieves a very healthy paycheck for simply appearing on the banzuke.

13 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 02:36, Fukurou said:

Ms53w MUSASHIKUNI

Anybody have any information as to the cause of his absence? 

The heya reports a leg (or foot) injury in keiko before the basho. Meanwhile, Hanashi is in rehab after having surgery on a knee injury.

If I recall correctly Chiyooume has been struggling with a left knee injury over the last few basho.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

People tend to forget that a former Ozeki recieves a very healthy paycheck for simply appearing on the banzuke.

I was not aware of this, unless "recieves" means something different than "receives".  Could you explain further?

• Confused 1