Chiyononeko

Kyushu Basho Viewing Options

Greetings Sumo Fans,

There is a lot of information on the forum about viewing the Kyushu Basho on Sumo Forum. Some current, much historical.

I would like to start a new topic, asking our knowledgeable forum members about how to watch the upcoming basho outside of Japan (both live and delayed).

Examples include:

• How to configure a VPN to watch NHK and Abema
  • How to watch the full Makunouchi division broadcast on NHK "Channel 2" in English. (Ironic, since NHK World shows the highly abbreviated "Grand Sumo Highlights" and not the full two-hour English version.)

7 hours ago, Nucleon said:

How to configure a VPN to watch NHK and Abema

The easiest way to do this is to use a service like NordVPN, Express or PIA, you have to pay obviously, but personally I think its worth it. I use PIA myself, its cheap and fast. When it comes to connecting, all you do is select Japan from the drop down menu, while installation was the same as installing any other program in my experience.

Some of the free services are really dodgy, for example Hola was found to be using its free users as exit nodes for paying customers, meaning it would be theoretically possible for someone to have been falsely implicated by someone using the service for any kind of dodgy business, amongst a lot of other negatives.

Another member here may be able to recommend a good free VPN, but if you worry about your data at all I wouldn't really recommend it, as the free services will most likely log and sell it (got to make up for that service being free somehow after all)

20 hours ago, Nucleon said:

Greetings Sumo Fans,

There is a lot of information on the forum about viewing the Kyushu Basho on Sumo Forum. Some current, much historical.

I would like to start a new topic, asking our knowledgeable forum members about how to watch the upcoming basho outside of Japan (both live and delayed).

Examples include:

• How to configure a VPN to watch NHK and Abema
  • How to watch the full Makunouchi division broadcast on NHK "Channel 2" in English. (Ironic, since NHK World shows the highly abbreviated "Grand Sumo Highlights" and not the full two-hour English version.)

What do you mean by NHK "Channel 2"? As far as I know you can only watch Sumo with English commentary on NHK World Premium if you are in an area where you can receive signal from any of these satellites. For North American fans TV Japan is the solution which is only available on cable. Europe is in the worst situation, a bunch of thieves called JSTV charge over the top for a couple of crappy SD quality satellite channels on Hotbird which is easily accessible in Europe. Their IPTV doesn't have English audio (as I was told) and its quality isn't that great either.

Answering your first question, I would recommend Smart DNS Proxy. They offer a 14 day trial, so if you use your imagination a little, it's basically a free solution.

I have tried several options, but have ended up subscribing to NHK Premium through Oceania TV Sydney Australia. It is  AU$49.95 three monthly, and I have a satellite reception disk (not big) a smart card and tuner.  Here in NZ reception is perfect. I can select bilingual for the sumo and can have it in English if I want. It may be considered expensive but have tried other ways, internet, etc but the buffering and breaks in transmission drove me mad. Unless its pelting down, then the transmission breaks up a little, I can enjoy a perfect two hours of sumo.

7 hours ago, Haruibono said:

I have tried several options, but have ended up subscribing to NHK Premium through Oceania TV Sydney Australia. It is  AU$49.95 three monthly, and I have a satellite reception disk (not big) a smart card and tuner.  Here in NZ reception is perfect. I can select bilingual for the sumo and can have it in English if I want. It may be considered expensive but have tried other ways, internet, etc but the buffering and breaks in transmission drove me mad. Unless its pelting down, then the transmission breaks up a little, I can enjoy a perfect two hours of sumo.

And sumo is pretty much the worst sport to watch when the buffering is slow and transmission breaks. I watch on QQ usually as I’m based in China and it’s easily available, but my patchy home internet often means I end up watching two hours of sumo yet see only a couple of bouts! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haruibono said:

If AU$49.95 three monthly is considered expensive, how about €50 per month for JSTV (terrible SD quality) in Europe? I envy you.

I've been watching sumo live for a few months now in the short time I've been following sumo and for me at least, nothing compares to the quality and stability of Mbovo (only Makuuchi this basho notwithstanding), by far. Either my internet is exceptionally good on a worldwide scale (it isn't) or many people simply have not tried it. Mentioning Mbovo in one breath with QQ and the likes is laughable.  And if Miselet returns, then both are excellent and totally reliable options. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I've been watching sumo live for a few months now in the short time I've been following sumo and for me at least, nothing compares to the quality and stability of Mbovo (only Makuuchi this basho notwithstanding), by far. Either my internet is exceptionally good on a worldwide scale (it isn't) or many people simply have not tried it. Mentioning Mbovo in one breath with QQ and the likes is laughable.  And if Miselet returns, then both are excellent and totally reliable options. 

QQ is the most reliable option for me here in China. I’ve tried others and they either don’t open at all without a VPN or are very slow. Chinese Internet. However, since most weekdays I watch sumo on my phone at work (don’t tell my boss) I can get QQ just fine. At home it’s patchy, but the Internet in my office is solid.

12 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

QQ is the most reliable option for me here in China. I’ve tried others and they either don’t open at all without a VPN or are very slow. Chinese Internet. However, since most weekdays I watch sumo on my phone at work (don’t tell my boss) I can get QQ just fine. At home it’s patchy, but the Internet in my office is solid.

For the last three bashos, I have found only sporadic sumo coverage on qq. Do you have a URL for a qq link that provides consistent sumo streaming?

28 minutes ago, Asojima said:

For the last three bashos, I have found only sporadic sumo coverage on qq. Do you have a URL for a qq link that provides consistent sumo streaming?

I use the app and follow two accounts called 鲤人 and 鯉人. It’s not perfect as there are days when they cut in late because the baseball hasn’t finished or don’t show it at all, but it’s the best I’ve been able to get here. They showed 12 of 15 days in September between the two channels. Every basho is different. Usually I wait anyway for Kintamayama’s digest to be uploaded on YOUKU (someone gets it off YouTube and shares it to the small Chinese sumo fan community). It’s just some days I feel like having it on at my desk.

Edited by Eikokurai