Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O Kyushu 2018

Takayasu went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya today, facing Shoudai for 23 bouts and going 16-7.  "I was checking out my tachiai to see if I was doing it right.. All I can do is get my body ready for day 1. I'm in better shape that I was in before last basho. I couldn't train like I wanted to back then. Fatigue? I'm taking care not to carry it over to the next day " he declared. 

Kisenosato did not do any sumo today but was there, doing light fundamentals and giving advice to the lower rankers for quite a while. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kisenosato went for degeiko to Kokonoe beya, where he faced another degeiko-ing rikishi Hokutofuji for 12 bouts, going 9-3.  He knows they will face each other in the first stages of the basho so he wanted to check him out and was generally looking calm and strong. after the keiko he was taking pictures with some small kids and babies and stuff. "He's so cool.." swooned one of the mothers. Goal? "The yusho of course.. The content of the keiko was good. I think my body is moving well and I'm facing Day 1 in good shape. I will concentrate on each day and and go at it from Day 1 till day 15 . That's what I'm after.." he said. "I want to end this year well," he summed.

201811060000458-w500_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Yokozuna Kakuryuu came for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya again today, calling out Nishikigi first. 11-1. Then, he called out to Myougiryuu (he will be facing both next basho). 6-1, bringing it to a grand total of 17-2. All in twenty minutes. The injuries are still there. "I'm able to train more than I thought but I'm  in so-so shape. I'm being careful, taking my meds and trying to ease the pain. Whenever I feel it's getting better, the pain returns when I train. I'm far from being 100%." he said. He is tied for first place with Tochinoshin for most wins this year. "It's not that I'm training towards that goal.. I'll try to pile those wins up  and aim for the yusho," he explained. Last basho, he won his first 10 bouts, then lost the last five. "I had a zensho in mind and when I lost, it was a mental shock. When I lost the next day again, I totally lost the plot. That's something I have to work on. Kyushu is when I entered sumo, made it to Juryo, and entered Makuuchi. Every time I come here I feel the excitement of a newbie. Last year I missed this basho so I want to get a good result this time," he summed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ozekis Goueidou and Takayasu went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya as well, and actually faced each other for some fierce sanban geiko. Both are famous for their mighty tachiais so their clashes were heard from afar. A lot of pushing and shoving too. Goueidou won 8-4. "He comes at you at the tachiai with full force so it was excellent keiko. Yesterday I faced Chiyotairyuu with his kachiages,  Add today, and my right elbow is swollen.." said Goueidou. "I was able to hit well so I think the content was good. I am letting my opponent get close to me too easily. Compared to the past keiko sessions I have had with Goueidou, this was a good one," added Takayasu.

201811060000542-w500_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ozeki Tochinoshin trained with Kaisei, Takarafuji and others yesterday- 18 bouts, 10-8. He's in the running for most wins this year. "I want to end this year on a high note," he declared.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Kisenosato went to the lively Sakaigawa beya today for degeiko. Goueidou was resting today so no go there. He took on Myougiryuu for 15 bouts, winning 13. He lost the first bout but then used various techniques to overwhelm his opponent, showing a lot of offence. The last time he trained against Myougiryuu was when the latter was in Juryo last year. The last time they faced each other on the dohyo was Aki 2016, so this basho it will be two years later. "The joi are strong. I am seeking out strong rikishi to train with. It was good keiko," said Kisenosato. "I'm in good shape, I guess. Not bad," he summed.

201811070000395-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today, Ozeki Tochinoshin went for degeiko to Dewanoumi beya, facing Sekiwake Mitakeumi (7-2) among others for a total of 11-2. "I'll be entering Kyushu feeling great. Now, all I can do is to aim higher!!" he declared.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

Kakuryuu is out as well. Right knee among other things. As I said a few weeks ago, Kisenosato will be the lone Yokozuna.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2