Kintamayama

Hakuhou injured-Kyushu crisis looms

9 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

It's often made with mayonnaise, which contains egg yolk, even if there are no other eggs in it. From the point of view of this discussion that's OK though, because my understanding is that eggs are pareve.

Research reveals that in the South it's not too uncommon to add buttermilk to cole slaw. Just sounds like something that might spoil, if you ask me.

Cream (or more likely half & half) is added to make it ... er ... creamy!  My favorite commercial cole slaw is from Kentucky Fried Chicken, which has milk products.  We don't worry about spoiling, though; some smart folks from up North sold us some of them refrigemelator thingies, and that keeps 'em nice and cold.

Should I change the subject to Hakuhou injured- coleslaw crisis averted due to non-dairiness? Old man crisis averted as he is dead? Humor crisis looms? I would rank this thread as an all-time number one for the wit, clarity, diversity and general mischief.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I would rank this thread as an all-time number one for the wit, clarity, diversity and general mischief.

Despite its wit, clarity, diversity, and general mischief concerning hamburgers and the excellence of several cole slaw recipes, this topic started out as a discussion of Hakuho's knee injury. Returning to that topic, although his oyakata stated he would talk with him about entering the Kyushu basho, I would think that Hakuho, even if his knee is almost completely back to normal, will go kyujo. And he may do the same in the Hatsu basho. He has already achieved the goals he's aimed for except for one--to stay active and healthy so he will be able to perform the yokozuna dohyo-iri at the Olympics. That probably means that during the next year and a half, he can elect to compete in some bashos and go kyujo in others. Such is the privilege of greatest yokozuna ever.

And I still think that french fries go better with hamburgers than cole slaw--as long as the fries are well done and crispy. Soggy fries are another matter. :-(

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sekitori said:

Despite its wit, clarity, diversity, and general mischief concerning hamburgers and the excellence of several cole slaw recipes, this topic started out as a discussion of Hakuho's knee injury. Returning to that topic, although his oyakata stated he would talk with him about entering the Kyushu basho, I would think that Hakuho, even if his knee is almost completely back to normal, will go kyujo. And he may do the same in the Hatsu basho. He has already achieved the goals he's aimed for except for one--to stay active and healthy so he will be able to perform the yokozuna dohyo-iri at the Olympics. That probably means that during the next year and a half, he can elect to compete in some bashos and go kyujo in others. Such is the privilege of greatest yokozuna ever.

And I still think that french fries go better with hamburgers than cole slaw--as long as the fries are well done and crispy. Soggy fries are another matter. :-(

Since he just had the surgery, it's a safe bet he won't enter Kyushu.

And I am not one to argue matters of taste. If Certain People want to ruin a perfectly good burger by dumping cole slaw on it, or perfectly good cole slaw by dousing it in milk, that's their business. I don't judge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't take it anymore! If you are gonna French fry potatoes, at least use peanut oil like a decent French-style brasserie, or better yet beef tallow and lard like before the dietary insanity.

Hakuhou is planning on entering Kyushu, says his Oyakata. "He seems genki and told me he will be gambarizing towards entering Kyushu," he said. Hakuhou plans to start some training when they arrive in Kyushu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou is planning on entering Kyushu, says his Oyakata. "He seems genki and told me he will be gambarizing towards entering Kyushu," he said. Hakuhou plans to start some training when they arrive in Kyushu.

Planning on entering a basho and actually doing so are entirely different. If he does enter, that means that he'll be competing less than a month after having surgery. Even though the surgery was endoscopic and seemed quite minor, I would have guessed that Hakuho would have gone kyujo. Just about everyone seems to agree that would have been the wisest decision. I think that he and his Oyakata will realize that it's still too soon to return to competition and that he will still sit the next one out. 

16 hours ago, sekitori said:

Planning on entering a basho and actually doing so are entirely different. If he does enter, that means that he'll be competing less than a month after having surgery. Even though the surgery was endoscopic and seemed quite minor, I would have guessed that Hakuho would have gone kyujo. Just about everyone seems to agree that would have been the wisest decision. I think that he and his Oyakata will realize that it's still too soon to return to competition and that he will still sit the next one out. 

I don't believe for a second Hakuhou will be entering Kyushu. This is just talk, the usual Oyakata optimistic stuff that has nothing to do with reality.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

When pigs fly.

42 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

It's the right thing to say, and the right time to say it. 

It may sell tickets :-).

If he DOES enter, he may go kuyjo after a few bouts.   But if he gets the yusho, I will worship the ground he walks, like some members do here already.   I will even start Hak cult, move to Japan and create a commune, chant on the street bobbling up and down, ....

Edited by robnplunder

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't believe for a seconds Hakuhou will be entering Kyushu. This is just talk, the usual Oyakata optimistic stuff that has nothing to do with reality.

Endoscopic surgery to remove a minor bone chip that was causing some irritation could be a rather insignificant matter.  This may be a simple matter of whether Hakuho wants to enter the basho.

Since they can no longer rely on the "Takanohana" effect to drive ticket sales for Kyushu, they must rely on the "Dai-Yokozuna Coming Off A Zensho But Following Endoscopic Surgery That Will Level The Playing Field A Little (Ha Ha Just Kidding Hak Will Win If He Wants)" effect. The Germans probably have a word for this exact, specific circumstance. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

Endoscopic surgery to remove a minor bone chip that was causing some irritation could be a rather insignificant matter.  This may be a simple matter of whether Hakuho wants to enter the basho.

Compared to other types of endoscopic knee surgery, removal of a bone chip is one of the most insignificant of all. The fact remains however, that Hakuho's knee underwent a surgical procedure and surgery, no matter how minor it may be, takes time to heal. 

The fact that Hakuho wants to compete really doesn't matter. The question is whether he will be ready to compete. His primary goal is to stay healthy enough to be active iwhen the  2020 Olympics arrive. Pushing around strong people weighing over 160 kg. on a knee that isn't totally sound doesn't seem to be a very smart way to achieve that goal.

If a rikishi in this situation was a kadoban ozeki or a juryo rikishi in danger of dropping to makushita, entering a basho so soon after this type of surgery, while not being the wisest choice, may be a necessity. But for someone who has the most successful sumo career ever, has nothing more to prove, and wants to prolong his career as long as possible,  it makes no sense to take a chance entering a tournament in which the most sensible thing to do is sit it out. 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

He does still need another 55 consecutive wins to secure the "Longest Winning Streak" record and it's unlikely that Kise can stop him now.

24 minutes ago, sekitori said:

Compared to other types of endoscopic knee surgery, removal of a bone chip is one of the most insignificant of all. The fact remains however, that Hakuho's knee underwent a surgical procedure and surgery, no matter how minor it may be, takes time to heal.

He will have about 3 weeks to heal.  That is likely enough for endoscopy.  He will, however, have reduced training time to prepare for the next basho. He also seems to be inclined to flip off the NSK of late (with some justification).  He may be medically ready to start the basho, but will he be physically and mentally ready to do it?

Edited by Asojima

12 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Since they can no longer rely on the "Takanohana" effect to drive ticket sales for Kyushu, they must rely on the "Dai-Yokozuna Coming Off A Zensho But Following Endoscopic Surgery That Will Level The Playing Field A Little (Ha Ha Just Kidding Hak Will Win If He Wants)" effect. The Germans probably have a word for this exact, specific circumstance. 

Except the tickets are more or less sold out already.

13 hours ago, robnplunder said:

It may sell tickets :-).

Tickets? What tickets?

32 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Ersatzwunschdenken?

1) Long time no post, YBF.

2) I had hoped that, by inspired serendipity, the German term would have the letters -hak- in it.(Sigh...)

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Except the tickets are more or less sold out already.

Plenty of tickets are still available for Kyushu: http://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va11.jsp

Early kyujo announcements might damage sales, especially for hype rikishi - but after surgery, expectations for Hakuho are low - early withdrawal or not, a sell-out is unlikely for Kyushu this time. But it might make the difference between all days declared full house or the stop of that streak.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Plenty of tickets are still available for Kyushu

Isn't it the case that Kyushu is historically less likely to sell out than the other venues? It wouldn't surprise me: according to WP it has a capacity of 13,000 compared to 11,000 for the Kokugikan, 7,500 for Nagoya and 8,000 for Osaka.

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Plenty of tickets are still available for Kyushu: http://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va11.jsp

Early kyujo announcements might damage sales, especially for hype rikishi - but after surgery, expectations for Hakuho are low - early withdrawal or not, a sell-out is unlikely for Kyushu this time. But it might make the difference between all days declared full house or the stop of that streak.

Some people said a basho becomes more interesting if Hakuho is absent. This Kyushu is supposed to be sold out more easily?