Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Harumafuji danpatsushiki

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

That may be so, but then how do you explain Hakuho giving Harumafuji a cheek kiss/sniff?  Harumafuji is Hakuho's elder/senior.

Hakuho was promoted to Yokozuna before Harumafuji. That gives Hakuho 'seniority" over Harumafuji.

Still more from the same channel

the paintings on display: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaM9aBXHIs

mage making model is Takarafuji, maker Tokoami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fbuO3q8p7s

Teruki at the taiko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXOPCfSwFg

rikishi arrival https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il7-IWfnVqc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kawabata said:

I was glad to see this pic too as I thought that Kise's turn with the scissors seemed just that tiny bit more tense than the others - but I'm sure I was just getting over analytical there

Perhaps a danpatsu shiki was a bit too real for him in light of his own troubles.  I, however, thought he was just expressing the solemnity of the ceremonial aspect of the event as befitting a fellow yokozuna. 

4 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Perhaps a danpatsu shiki was a bit too real for him in light of his own troubles.  I, however, thought he was just expressing the solemnity of the ceremonial aspect of the event as befitting a fellow yokozuna. 

Yes I can definitely see that, though I meant more in terms of Harumafuji's reaction to kise, body language etc. I can definitely see Kise being the sort who would take the ceremony seriously. Either way, glad to see them having a nice moment together at the party

• Like 1

Perhaps Harumafuji causing Kisenosato's injury in Haru '17 might have something to do with the tension...

On 30/09/2018 at 20:09, rhyen said:

Wifi router went dead. 

It's a cover up. The real reason was: 

image2.png.4098d91d004bac7e3547a997136ffef8.png.4fc198ead2ab3f01e69913fc00ddd926.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

It's a cover up. The real reason was: 

image2.png.4098d91d004bac7e3547a997136ffef8.png.4fc198ead2ab3f01e69913fc00ddd926.png

Now I'm confused.  Is rhyen from the Czech Republic?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atenzan said:

Perhaps Harumafuji causing Kisenosato's injury in Haru '17 might have something to do with the tension...

Harumafuji didn’t cause the injury – the fall and landing did. There was nothing out of the ordinary in what Harumafuji did to win that bout. I’m sure Kisenosato is professional enough to understand that and that it’s one of the risks of sumo. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Harumafuji didn’t cause the injury – the fall and landing did. There was nothing out of the ordinary in what Harumafuji did to win that bout. I’m sure Kisenosato is professional enough to understand that and that it’s one of the risks of sumo. 

Kisenosato was grimacing in pain before he fell in that Haru 2017 day 13 bout. He strongly resisted Harumafuji's morozashi as best he could under the circumstances, but from that very mechanically disadvantageous position the strain was too much and caused the pec tear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Kisenosato was grimacing in pain before he fell in that Haru 2017 day 13 bout. He strongly resisted Harumafuji's morozashi as best he could under the circumstances, but from that very mechanically disadvantageous position the strain was too much and caused the pec tear.

Hard to say. It all happened very quickly. I can’t say I noticed any particular signs of pain, only the usual sort of face a rikishi makes while resisting an opponent’s move and trying to counter it. Kise did make a rightwards twist at the last though, which could have strained the pectoral muscle on his left side before he fell. That or the roll on landing, with his left arm more or less trapped under his torso, could have caused the tear. We’ll never know! One thing is certain though: it wasn’t Harumafuji! At least not in the sense that he intended Kise any harm. It could have been any rikishi making that move. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hard to say. It all happened very quickly. I can’t say I noticed any particular signs of pain, only the usual sort of face a rikishi makes while resisting an opponent’s move and trying to counter it. Kise did make a rightwards twist at the last though, which could have strained the pectoral muscle on his left side before he fell. That or the roll on landing, with his left arm more or less trapped under his torso, could have caused the tear. We’ll never know! One thing is certain though: it wasn’t Harumafuji! At least not in the sense that he intended Kise any harm. It could have been any rikishi making that move. 

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to examine which athletes get them, and how. Those who lift weights competitively get them, whether powerlifters, bodybuilders, or cross-fitters. Western wrestlers get them, sometimes judoka too. Even guys who do BJJ get them, while rolling and trying to submit the opponent. Those injuries occur most commonly during pressing motions, or while grappling (as in contracting the muscles). Even deadlifts can do it. Not from falling. If pec tears were caused by falling (and cleanly in this particular incidence) you'd see a lot more in sumo falls and falls in other sports/activities.  The evidence just doesn't bear that out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to examine which athletes get them, and how. Those who lift weights competitively get them, whether powerlifters, bodybuilders, or cross-fitters. Western wrestlers get them, sometimes judoka too. Even guys who do BJJ get them, while rolling and trying to submit the opponent. Those injuries occur most commonly during pressing motions, or while grappling (as in contracting the muscles). Even deadlifts can do it. Not from falling. If pec tears were caused by falling (and cleanly in this particular incidence) you'd see a lot more in sumo falls and falls in other sports/activities.  The evidence just doesn't bear that out.

Good points.

On 02/10/2018 at 16:16, Amamaniac said:

That may be so, but then how do you explain Hakuho giving Harumafuji a cheek kiss/sniff?  Harumafuji is Hakuho's elder/senior.

Hakuho is Harumafuji's senior rank wise.