Sign in to follow this  
Akōgyokuseki

Wakanohana 1, Takanohana 2 Tsuyuharai/Tachimochi

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with the names of all, or any, of the Rikishi who served as Takanohana's dew sweeper and sword bearer, likewise for Wakanohana Kanji 1st?

Ive been all round the internet and because my japanese is awful (like Joyo grade awful) I'm limited in what i can find and make sense of, so a wee bit of help from the knowledgeable folks here could be the cure for my ignorance!

Many thanks in advanced (Showingrespect...)

Check out who was in Futagoyama-beya (stable) at the time that Takanohana was the Yokozuna, in the top division. There were quite a few of them. (Use http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx to search for the relevant basho, and then highlight the heya/stable) As long as they were not a fellow Yokozuna (Wak III), or an Ozeki (Takanonami), the top two ranked were probably acting as the attendants for Takanohana. (I can't fully remember what happened when Wak III was the higher ranked Yok, as to who got first dibs).

But, again from faded memory, I recall that Akinoshima and Takatoriki were probably the two main attendants for Tak II. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your response, you've provided me with lots of information and I'm very grateful for your answer (I must apologise for the lateness of my reply)

Off to research now.....:-D

Takanohana II is easier than other Yokozunas, as there were so many rikishi from his heya (stable) in the top division when he was active. The attendants should be chosen from the same heya - if available, and not ranked as Ozeki or higher - and must be ranked in the top division. Otherwise, yokozunas 'borrow' attendants from the same ichimon (group of heyas) that their own heya belongs to, with the same selection restrictions.

[All from memory, so might be a bit wrong.] 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks! Since Taka will probably be the easiest to find out and correlate I've decided to start with Wakanohana Kanji, (which now seems like an impossible task (Laughing...))

Here's some notes I made,

-Nishonoseki (Waka 1 original stable)

-May 1952 Waka 1 moves to Shibatayama stable, which was renamed Hanakago in September 1953.

-He is promoted to Yokozuna in 1958.
-Makes his Yokozuna debut in the Haru Basho of that year.

-Retired and forms Futagoyama in 1962.

Had a quick look at the database and it seems Hanakago produced a tiny handful of Sekitori (Maegashira at leased) during Waka 1's time at the Yokozuna rank. I wonder if I would be safe to assume he could have taken some from Nishonoseki at the time? Since Shibatayama (Hanakago) branched off from there and presumably from the same Ichimon? I'm just thinking aloud here (Laughing...)

Thanks for your help

I have 2 pictures of Wakanohana 1's Dohyo iri, I'll try to upload if I can

Edited by Akōgyokuseki

There's some footage of Taka's Dohyo-Iri in this video if that helps you:

• Thanks 2

Thanks for that, I'll have a look through it. Think this query will keep me busy for a while (Laughing...)

Posted (edited)

Can only upload one image, so will do the other another time...

7176.jpg

Edited by Akōgyokuseki

On 14/10/2018 at 10:11, Akōgyokuseki said:

Looks like Akinoshima on the right??? (Eh?)

Apologies for the poor quality picture...

dd3f.jpg

Yup, looks like Akinoshima. But being an Ozeki himself, Takanonami on the left would not be on duty for a regular honbasho.

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2018 at 10:31, Jakusotsu said:

Yup, looks like Akinoshima. But being an Ozeki himself, Takanonami on the left would not be on duty for a regular honbasho

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated. It's interesting how special allowances are allowed at the shrine visits, I honestly didn't know that, so thanks again...guess I can't call Takanonami an official one then...(damn(Laughing...))

On 29/09/2018 at 10:27, Jejima said:

But, again from faded memory, I recall that Akinoshima and Takatoriki were probably the two main attendants for Tak II.  

Can confirm Takatōriki absolutely. Also the video provided by Kawabata (thanks again) confirms too.

Thanks folks...(Showingrespect...)

On 06/10/2018 at 13:35, Akōgyokuseki said:

7176.jpg

Phew!.. Think I've managed to identify the Rikishi in the above  picture, seems to be this guy Wakanoumi Masateru!....

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3946

His records show he was active during the years of his stablemate Wakanohana's Yokozuna career (Wakanoumi himself was ranked M6w in the 1958 Haru Basho, which was Waka 1's Yokozuna debut).
Wakanoumi spent most of his Makuuchi career as a Maegashira. Although his highest rank was Komusubi, the records show it didn't last long, and he was demoted to Maegashira 3 (west) after two Basho. So it's safe to say for the most part of Wakanohana's Yokozuna tenure he could have chosen Wakanoumi for his swordbearer as it seems he continued to stay amongst the rank and filers until his Intai in 1963.
I'm a little unsure about what happened to him after his retirement, as there is practically no info on him on the English side of the web. Plus he looks like the guy in the screenshot I took last night (Laughing...)

And it seems another Rikishi from Hanakago beya took the Shikona and continued the name so to speak.
Wakanoumi Masateru II was active during the 60's and 70's, highest rank was Maegashira 2, looks like his Intai was in 78(?) after that he became an elder and left the association in 1992, not sure what happened to him after that.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=4083
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakanoumi_Masateru_II

342b1.jpg

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
added screenshot of Wakanoumi 1

29 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

I'm a little unsure about what happened to him after his retirement, as there is practically no info on him on the English side of the web.

The database tells that he became Otowayama-oyakata http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?rikishi=3946 attached as coach to Hanakago-beya, after shutdown of his heya in Hanaregoma-beya.

He was mainly known as shimpan, but later because of ill health (plagued by rheumatism etc.) just spent his time living in the heya. My old (Showa) book tells that he was the only one to win sansho in a row after makuuchi promotion, 3 others achieved that later, in Heisei (Mainoumi's 2 not kanto-sho as the others, but gino-sho).  http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_m=on&form1_debutd=on&form1_ss=on&form1_ks=on&form1_gs=on&form2_ss=on&form2_ks=on&form2_gs=on

Wakanoumi Masateru II was active during the 60's and 70's, highest rank was Maegashira 2, looks like his Intai was in 78(?) after that he became an elder and left the association in 1992, not sure what happened to him after that.

The Japanese version of the page you provided tells the details https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/若ノ海正照

He became Otake-oyakata http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?rikishi=4083, since the kabu was owned by Taiho, attached to Taiho beya (would be better if the DB showed that instead of the same 2 heya as Wakanoumi I). He had to leave the NSK to make room for Ozutsu, then had a "Chanko Wakanoumi" restaurant (closed down https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1313/A131303/13008016/), and appeared as sumo coach in the NHK morning drama Hirari - he died of heart failure at age 49 a few years later. Father of Kachimori and Wakashoho

• Thanks 3

Thanks Akinomaki, I was hoping this thread would catch your eye and I'm grateful for the information you've provided, thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

On 17/10/2018 at 16:00, Akinomaki said:

My old (Showa) book tells that he was the only one to win sansho in a row after makuuchi promotion

It's an interesting read how he got that, I had a quick look before the database went down..

It would seem that 1955 was a good year for him, gaining promotion to Makuuchi with a Yusho-doten (and a result of 11-4) in the Hatsu Basho of that year.

(Two Basho before his top division debut he took the Juryo yusho with a score of 13-2 and at the rank of J7e.)

The Haru Basho in 55 saw him pick up his first sansho (Kanto-sho) he finished 11-4, the second Kanto-sho was in the Natsu Basho, again, 11-4. At the Aki tournament he picked up his first Kinboshi, but unfortunately he scored a very ironic make-koshi of 4-11, the reverse of his winning numbers!
His losing score didn't effect his rank much as he dropped from M3w to M8w. During these years he wrestled under the Shikona Wakanoumi Shuji.
It took another 19 years to win another sansho (Gino-sho) in the November tournament 1959 (at this point the 6 tournament a year system was up and running) he also claimed another Kinboshi and finished the tournament with a Jun-yusho score of 12-3, a very good result that saw his promotion to Komusubi in the new year of 1960. I'd like to know which Yokozuna he took his Kinboshi from in his career and especially in the Nov 59 tournament, but again...the database!

Hoping it will be fixed soon so I can check out the link you provided for Wakanoumi II, hopefully the heya name is changed also.

Thanks again! Will be back with more soon....

Edited by Akōgyokuseki
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Akōgyokuseki said:

It took another 19 years to win another sansho

basho ...

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

basho ...

(Oops!)

Will edit later (Laughing...) Thanks for point out!

Edited by Akōgyokuseki