Sign in to follow this  
Haruibono

Sumo at Olympic Games

If Sumo is to be a demonstration sport at the 2020 games, will the winning rikishi qualify for a medal?

Will they then be representing their country. i.e. Mongolia, if Hakuho or Kakuryu win?

Edited by Haruibono
  • Like 1

They were unsuccessful in convincing the Olympic committee to include sumo as an event, so there will be no medals. 

Does the Olympic Games not engage in amateur sport associations? 

If so, none of JSA rikishi could participate in the Olympic Games. Only be volunteers. 

16 minutes ago, Qwerry said:

If so, none of JSA rikishi could participate in the Olympic Games. Only be volunteers. 

Boxing is for amateurs only (may apply to other, but not all contact sports) and the football teams have to consist mostly of under-23 players. I can't remember any other regulations.

39 minutes ago, Qwerry said:

That stopped being the case for nearly all sports over 30 years ago...

21 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Boxing is for amateurs only  

Not anymore since 2016.   We didn't see a lot of pros in Rio b/c the rule change came way too late for different nations (and their pros) to adept to the new rule.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qwerry said:

It’s actually up to each individual sports federation to set its own rules for participation. The IOC is just an umbrella organization. It doesn’t govern the sports themselves. As has been said, football has rules about the age of participants while other sports don’t.

As a side discussion, I’d be curious to see how sumo would/could be implemented at an Olympics. There’s no time for the honbasho approach of one bout a day and I think they’d need a system that ensured everyone fought a similar schedule. Perhaps it’d be limited to a certain number of wrestlers in weight categories and then they do a round-robin so everyone fights the same people, like in curling. I certainly hope they wouldn’t use a knockout style format like those one-day tournaments, not unless it was best-of-three or something. The nature of sumo means it really doesn’t suit that ‘one chance only’ sort of competition. It only takes one tiny error in sumo and your medal hopes would come crashing down. I’m sure amateur sumo has solved this problem already though.

Edited by Eikokurai