specialweek 2

Takanohana resigns

16 minutes ago, Benihana said:

So these 10 millions don't include his retirement savings as sumotori?

He got that already when he really went intai - this is the oyakata retirement

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised he got anything.  Are retirement bonuses normal?  Former riji get them?

22 hours ago, Benihana said:

Only 10 million yen? That's peanuts.

Don't want such peanuts? Here, I'll dispose of them for you :-D

As capital for an old age pension it isn"t much. If Takanohana has invested from his wrestling days this sum can be added to it. I know the life expectancy of ex-rikishi isn't high but he might live to a ripe old age troubling the Kyokai for many years to come, and he hasn't been poor.

Posted (edited)
On 02/10/2018 at 11:51, Akinomaki said:

Takanohana gets about 10 million yen retirement money and merit bonus and is allowed to use the name Takanohana also as stage name etc. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/10/02/0011694118.shtml

Daily had reported it as (about) given fact, but the proper rijikai in November has still to decide on the sum for Takanohana. At the last rikjikai the point was not discussed and the special one had only to decide on accepting the requests - Shibatayama: "Because there surely are many opinions, I guess it will be after Kyushu." http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/10/03/kiji/20181003s00005000054000c.html

Edited by Akinomaki

On 26/09/2018 at 16:23, Kintamayama said:

I beg to differ. I've spoken to quite a few Japanese sumo fans who are also friends who have been telling me that there is a "movement" to do anything possible to stop him from being riji- this is from a few years back already. One of them even said they will find a way and that he bets  Takanohana will be out by 2019, to which I answered that he's paranoid.  Takanohana is very much loved by the public. Much more than, say, on our forum. And people who say that the  "sumo association is some strange people and Takanohana is one of them" are not people that I would take what they say about sumo seriously, and are not fans of sumo. Maybe baseball.

Regarding the fact they are now not recognizing the deshi moves to Chiganoura on some technicality too, when they know that is Takanohana's Achilles heel and soft spot, I would say: The Kyokai killed Takanohana, and now they are abusing the corpse.

I would not say the general population of Japan are sumo fans. I accost almost everyone I eat lunch and dinner with about sumo, and it's rare that they know even all the yokozuna. On the toudai vs entertainers quiz show last week they showed the gyoji uniform and gunbai as a visual question to what profession is this type question. That nobody got it (out of like 30 people) until a hint swept in showing a banzuke speaks volumes. 

I like sumo and all, but let's not kid ourselves on the popularity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I like sumo and all, but let's not kid ourselves on the popularity.

Nobody is saying to the contrary. OTOH, if your coworker said that the NSK is just  a bunch of weird people and Takanohana is the weirdest, I am guessing he is one of those "typical Japanese" who knows nothing at all about sumo and he is basing this on rumors and gossip like most of the "typical Japanese" do. OTOH, if he IS one of the last sumo fans who knows what he is saying..

Takanohana today was at the National Diet, to meet with ex-ed.sc.etc minister (monkasho) Hase (LDP) to report his intai, and to get interviewed by the press. Asked about next year's election: "I have no time now to think about what to do next." https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20181004/k10011658321000.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

While this may be old news, it may be of interest to readers of this thread to visit the Takanohana Support Group website to see photos of the farewell party that Hanada Keiko held for the charges in her care before they packed their things and moved to Chiganoura Stable.  It would appear that she took her Okamisan duties seriously.  She shows great compassion for the young wrestlers, calling them "precious" and appearing in photos with each one separately.  Why could Takanohana not have done something similar?  Keiko is handling the whole resignation thing with great dignity.  

https://pando.life/takanohana/article/647

Edited to reflect Unkonoyama's link.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Takanohana-beya Tagawa koenkai (Fukuoka) moves towards dissolution - in the end it had about 170 members. It started in 2011, when the heya moved its Fukuoka location there. The enlarged Chiganoura-beya is too big to stay at the location, the koenkai has not decided to change into one of Chiganoura-beya. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASLBB2VLZLBBTGPB001.html

On 31/10/2015 at 12:13, Akinomaki said:

Takanohana-heya has it's camp in Tagawa, Fukuoka. Since 2011 they stay for Kyushu at the sumo chaya (tea house) "Takanohana", which had friendly relations already with Takanohana the father.
Takanohana calls it his 2nd hometown, having been on visits there since early childhood.

On 08/11/2013 at 16:14, Akinomaki said:

Takanohana-beya for Kyushu in Tagawa city: with exchange students and locals, about 130 are members of the koenkai there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

the koenkai has not decided to change into one of Chiganoura-beya

I read this as "they have not decided yet whether to change into one of Chiganoura-beya" rather than "they have decided not to change into one of Chiganoura-beya".

13 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

I read this as "they have not decided yet whether to change into one of Chiganoura-beya" rather than "they have decided not to change into one of Chiganoura-beya".

Yes, they had the proposal, but didn't decide to make that change - it's more of a not than just "not yet", but they want to somehow support the rikishi from Takanohana-beya.

Taka was at the final meeting to report his retirement - local TV news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKnWRk6DzI

these news end with "not yet"

• Like 2

On 02/10/2018 at 11:51, Akinomaki said:

Takanohana gets about 10 million yen retirement money and merit bonus and is allowed to use the name Takanohana also as stage name etc.

Taka was interviewed after the final meeting of his disbanding koenkai.  He wants to be Koji Hanada from now on and won't use Takanohana for his further career. He also told he won't be (NHK) commentator, nor go into politics, but be involved in teaching sumo to the kids, like he said at his initial press conference.

AS20181011005866_commL.jpgo

BTW, the merit bonus he had been paid at his real intai was the biggest ever

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

AS20181011005866_commL.jpgo

He looks like someone who has had a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. It's a different smile, this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

BTW, the merit bonus he had been paid at his real intai was the biggest ever

Not surprising given how the yen depreciated since Chiyonofuji's intai.  Hakuho's will presumably be even bigger, but the relative stability of the yen that has caused no pay increases in at least 15 years isn't going to artificially boost the numbers when compared to the past as with Takanohana's.

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He looks like someone who has had a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. It's a different smile, this.

I looked like that when I retired 3 years ago, less 10 million yen (or truck loads of peanuts).   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It's a different smile, this.

The cat ate the canary?