specialweek 2

Takanohana resigns

If anybody in the Kyokai thought pushing Taka this far was a good idea, they just made a stupendous blunder. The guy was already completely sidelined for 4 or 5 years at least. Giving him ultimatums to make make it permanent was not necessary. This will go over like a lead balloon with the public IMO.

All TV channels except TV Tokyo did a live broadcast of Taka's press conference http://www.daily.co.jp/gossip/2018/09/25/0011672966.shtml

about 300 media people were there http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/09/25/kiji/20180925s00005000234000c.html

but I don't think any channel aired the whole 90min - only on the net

Taka said he has - at the moment - no intention to put pressure on the NSK from the outside, in court (or by asking again the Cabinet office to do this) http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/09/25/0011673029.shtml

He'd like to teach sumo to the kids http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201809250000734.html

Otherwise he answered that he had no plans for the future yet

The heya homepage was down due to excessive access and also the NSK site was difficult to reach http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20180925-OHT1T50192.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

His brother said it's usually to have the press conference after the kyokai has accepted the resignation. Takanohana had it right after submitting the resignation letter, showing his determination to leave the kyokai. 

It's no harm to leave him along as an independent heya. The kyokai clearly went over the line by forcing him out.

Edited by Dapeng

28 minutes ago, rhyen said:

follow this thread and ask your seniors to translate where needed. .

Oh god, now I remember - a back-and-forth over whether Taka was asking for the Kyokai's public interest status to be revoked. Rather not go there again.

• Like 1

With Taka quitting, most of the retired yokozuna of this century have been "forced" to leave the NSK, only Musashimaru remains.

Wakanohana, Akebono, Asashoryu, Harumafuji - Takanohana

Edited by Akinomaki

The only moto Yokozunae that remain are Hakkaku (61st Hokutoumi); Shitabayama (62nd Onokuni); Isegahama (63rd Asahifuji) and Musashigawa (67th Musashimaru).

Taka spoke to nobody of the NSK executives before his decision - he thought he could join no ichimon without acknowledging that his accusations in the complaint were false - he received a document from the NSK attorney that demanded from him to admit that, else he could not remain as an oyakata - but those 2 things apparently were not immediately related. He acknowledged that there was indeed some voice of help from an ichimon.

He has not handed in a valid request for resignation (taishoku not intai: Shibatayama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JvesOuu3k) -  but he managed to create big news again. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201809250000806.html

If he does nothing till tomorrow morning - what will happen at the rijikai? Can they talk him into remaining in the NSK, like the rijicho did in 2010?

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

His brother said it's usually to have the press conference after the kyokai has accepted the resignation. Takanohana had it right after submitting the resignation letter, showing his determination to leave the kyokai.

Except, according to Shibatayama Oyakata, he didn't submit the resignation letter for his current position, so he has not resigned after all.

Since he seems to be playing smoke and mirror games (saying he resigned when he didn't), it may be that he's just out to get more attention again. IMO the guy just can't stand not being the center of attention, in his actions over the years or his fashion sense.

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Except, according to Shibatayama Oyakata, he didn't submit the resignation letter for his current position, so he has not resigned after all.

Since he is playing smoke and mirror games (saying he resigned when he didn't), it may be that he's just out to get more attention again. IMO the guy just can't stand not being the center of attention, in his actions over the years or his fashion sense.

"協会は、退職を届け出た文書の形式に不備があるとして受理していない。"------- Google translation: "The association has not accepted that there is an incompleteness in the form of the document reporting retirement".

2 hours ago, Dapeng said:

"協会は、退職を届け出た文書の形式に不備があるとして受理していない。"------- Google translation: "The association has not accepted that there is an incompleteness in the form of the document reporting retirement".

Bad translation. Bad Google. On the contrary-  "The Kyokai has stated that the document of retirement that was presented is faulty and cannot be accepted."

• Thanks 2

I think this form thing is semantics. He's out of here. So he used the wrong term/document. Big deal-it doesn't change the fact that he's out. The guys are already moving to Chiganoura (it seems he has been discussing this with him for a few years now and had designated him as his successor)-the train  has left the station. After that show today, there is no way in hell he is going to/can return. Did he think this through? Was he acting on impulse? He has been sitting on this since August 7th when he got the letter from the Kyokai's attorney demanding he retract his complaint, so I think he has been thinking about this for a while. Elsewhere, ex- Takatouriki went on record that the Kyokai are acting like children. "They could have said that they are sad that he's retiring so they don't accept it,  instead of saying that idiotic 'it's the wrong form' crap.They aren't thinking straight, so all they can say is that idiotic thing! I told Takanohana a while ago to retire immediately because he doesn't deserve this kind of flack from anyone, to which he answered 'I am definitely not quitting! I shall gambarize'. Something major must have changed his mind." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 6

Hmm. Will Takatouriki be Takanoyama's inside track to the puroresu circuit..? STAY TUNED.

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

If he does nothing till tomorrow morning - what will happen at the rijikai? Can they talk him into remaining in the NSK, like the rijicho did in 2010?

Would they want to?  If he is telling the truth and there was an ultimatum for him to recant his earlier complaint, isn't the genie pretty much out of the bottle now?  Would they rather have him within the ranks or just get shot of him?  Whether he's in or out, he'll do his own thing and say what he wants just as he has been for the last 12 months.  I'm sure there are some within the NSK who would prefer to be spared the headache of effectively having it at the office on a daily basis.  Apparently the forms are not the correct ones - the form transferring his deshi apparently was not countersigned by Chiganoura and therefore cannot officially be considered.  Considering his behaviour in recent times (which was frankly nothing short of insubordination concerning his failure to clock in properly to the office of the basho during which the Takayoshitoshi incident occurred and IIRC he also gave an interview that wasn't pre-authorised by the NSK, so the press conference or its timing should come as absolutely no surprise) he doesn't seem to care much for the strict letter of regulation or expected formality.  Far from being a publicity stunt, I think he's off and customarily he's doing it in his own way, NSK regulations be damned.  

For me, the weird part is I still can't decide whether I like him or not after all this time. I have absolutely no idea who is telling the truth in all of this and am not terribly fond of his deshi, so feel oddly dispassionate about the whole thing.  

Edited by Yatagarasu
Punctuation
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think this form thing is semantics. He's out of here. So he used the wrong term/document. Big deal-it doesn't change the fact that he's out. 

While I agree with you, I can't help but imagine the NSK to be so anally bureaucratic that one of their number probably raised this in earnest!  (Laughing...)  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

While I agree with you, I can't help but imagine the NSK to be so anally bureaucratic that one of their number probably raised this in earnest!  (Laughing...)  

Or they realized their blunder and are looking for any straw to grasp to salvage the situation.

1 hour ago, Benevolance said:

Hmm. Will Takatouriki be Takanoyama's inside track to the puroresu circuit..? STAY TUNED.

Haven't heard that name in a while..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

For me, the weird part is I still can't decide whether I like him or not after all this time. I have absolutely no idea who is telling the truth in all of this and am not terribly fond of his deshi, so feel oddly dispassionate about the whole thing.  

I’m still very new to sumo, just started watching with the end of the May tournament. But I was in Japan during the Harumafuji incident, and with my limited Japanese didn’t really get a great impression. Learning more about other events only cemented that, so I’m surprised to find people here saying that he’s well regarded in Japan.

Would love to learn more about that perspective.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Haven't heard that name in a while..

I'd change the post, but getting the Czechs involved means this is an international conspiracy which is better gossip. 

• Like 1

Man, Ozumo backstages are more bizarre than brazilian sop opera scripts! Kyokai guys should runs for cover because my guess is that Taka will, to use a expression of my country, throw shit on the fan!  (Blowingupfuriously...)

Officially not resigned Takanohana did not appear for work today at the banzuke compilation conference, though Shibatayama thinks it was his duty. Chief Onomatsu: ""Absent, there was no communication from him"  https://this.kiji.is/417537396272825441?c=39546741839462401

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Why does posting in any thread dedicated to Takanohana feel like feeding a troll?

Oops, I just did. My bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1