Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Bench sumo mailing list

Can someone post a link to the benchsumo mailing list?

I cant find it since my last computer broke down and I lost the link....

According to this link: https://betanews.com/2019/10/17/yahoo-groups-closure/ Yahoo Groups will close on October 28.

Are there plans for an alternative group elsewhere? 

Is it really closing down this month then?

One option would be simply open a thread on this forum for all such honbasho Bench-related stuff, no? I think most if not all players know about the forum.

Ohhh... as a relatively new forum member, this looks tantalising! 

I've applied to join the above Google group and have signed up for a sumo games account online -- but am I too late for Kyushu? The deadlines post says the deadlines has passed, but I'm not sure if that's referring to Aki or Kyushu.  

4 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Ohhh... as a relatively new forum member, this looks tantalising! 

I've applied to join the above Google group and have signed up for a sumo games account online -- but am I too late for Kyushu? The deadlines post says the deadlines has passed, but I'm not sure if that's referring to Aki or Kyushu.  

It's referring to Aki - the Kyushu banzuke has not been published. Sumo games will become available next week! Welcome!

• Thanks 1

Is there a way to make the Google group viewable without signing in the way Yahoo was? I have a gmail account but I only ever use it for setting up my android devices.  

Yahoo Groups is deleting all saved content.  It would be nice if we could preserve that Bench history online (I mourn the loss of all the links on my stats site)

Perhaps this solution at groups.io, which seems to have a transfer method?  At the very least, we should request the data, so it can be hosted elsewhere.

Edited by Takanorappa

Just reading this now.

This is terrible news.

I am really too busy with life at present - but if someone can work out how to save the data from yahoogroups, please do so!

Hi all, total rookie question -- I've gotten the email with the Bench Sumo Kyushu invitation, but I can't find the link to the play site? Halp!

22 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

Thanks! The buttons are still greyed out for me though ... it's showing me as logged in in the upper right corner -- is there an extra step I need to take? 

Cheers!

Yes, you need to inform @Jakusotsu to add you to the database. (This message will probably do the trick). This may take a few days....

3 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

Thanks! The buttons are still greyed out for me though ... it's showing me as logged in in the upper right corner -- is there an extra step I need to take?

Should work now.

22 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Should work now.

On 01/11/2019 at 21:07, Jejima said:

Yes, you need to inform @Jakusotsu to add you to the database. (This message will probably do the trick). This may take a few days....

I thank you both. 

I got an email from Yahoo about Groups ceasing to store content, and included in that email was a link that supposedly could be used to download it.  When I clicked it, it didn't automatically log me in to Yahoo that way even though I had just been using Yahoo Groups, and I wasn't in the mood to go any further right then, but those that care about preserving stuff should presumably also have gotten that email and should check it out.

The email also pointed out that Yahoo Groups was not going away - it was just becoming mailing-list-only.  So it can still be used, its history just can't be seen by new players.  Apparently this is inline with how Yahoo thinks people use Yahoo Groups.  Well, they might be right on average, and perhaps right in general even for Bench, but they apparently don't care about preserving history because of overriding concerns about privacy.

• Thanks 1

Not sure exactly what groups are still alive for bench sumo.

When I send emails to the mailing list(s), the yahoogroups email seems to send fine, however, the googlegroups emails do not get sent (and I get a message from google that I don't have permission to post to googlegroups). This was not a problem for me in July.

I hope Bench Sumo players are receiving my emails (particularly the Bench Makushita torikumi, which I am gyojiing this basho - Kyushu 2019).

- Oshirokita

Edited by Oshirokita

8 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I got an email from Yahoo about Groups ceasing to store content, and included in that email was a link that supposedly could be used to download it.  When I clicked it, it didn't automatically log me in to Yahoo that way even though I had just been using Yahoo Groups, and I wasn't in the mood to go any further right then, but those that care about preserving stuff should presumably also have gotten that email and should check it out.

Takanorappa did this already, and I'm at it. It takes several days after the request until you receive an email with the download link (about 500 MB zipped files with plain text content).

The more players store their own copy the better, I think.

6 hours ago, Oshirokita said:

When I send emails to the mailing list(s), the yahoogroups email seems to send fine, however, the googlegroups emails do not get sent (and I get a message from google that I don't have permission to post to googlegroups). This was not a problem for me in July. 

You need to apply for membership first. I've sent you an invitation.

• Thanks 1