Asojima

Live Streaming - Aki 18

For Aki 2018, there are 5 likely sources of free live sumo video streaming that should be available.

The best sources will probably be Mbovo, ForJoyTV (FJTV), Sherming9 and Abema.  Konan Sports has NHK-G with a curtailed video display.   qq became extremely unpredictable during the Nagoya basho, and looks very questionable for Aki

NHK World will broadcast part of Makuuchi live in english for Days 1 and 8 of Aki starting at 5:10PM JST.

Mbovo normally starts at about 2:45 PM JST with NHK BS and then shifts to NHK G.  Streaming normally starts near the Juryo dohyo-iri and continues through Makuuchi. It features high quality video and a chat connection used by some of our members. Best viewed in Theater Mode (click lower right).

ForJoyTV started the Nagoya basho as FujiTV but recently morphed to a new name.  It is an installed app (non-browser) which streams NHK-BS sumo (weekdays only) from about 1:05 PM JST (high Sandanme) until NHK-G starts sumo at about 3:05 PM in mid-Juryo. Expand the reduced viewing area to cover the browser text but leave tabs viewable.

Sherming9 is an old favorite here which displays NHK-G 24/7 and includes a chat window. It has just returned from a long absence and is a welcome return.

Abema is a commercially available site which is normally available only in Japan, but it can be acquired world-wide using a VPN.  Coverage includes ALL sumo divisions with some commercial breaks. See the forum link for additional details.

Konan NHK G provides live coverage from mid-Juryo through Makuuchi. The Konan-G stream has a video quality which is almost as good as Mbovo.  Unfortunately, it truncates the top 10-15% of the screen unless you shift it to full screen.  In full screen, the ability to use multiple tabs is lost. A usable backup if all else fails.

qq/qq1 is a Chinese site with very unpredictable programming.  It may pickup the Abema coverage or mirror the NHK-G service.  Start times vary, and it sometimes takes the day off for non-sumo activity. For Natsu and Nagoya, it only had coverage for a few days.

Use this topic to record/comment on coverage availability for Aki.  Use other topics to discuss the content of the matches.

Note 1:  Day 1 is on a weekend, so NHK-BS will not cover sumo. Coverage on NHK-G is scheduled to start  sumo at 3:05PM JST.

Note 2:  Konan is running with a 2 minute delay. Sherming9 has about 2.5 minutes, and ForJoyTV is about 3 minutes.  Mbovo has about a 3 minute delay, a few seconds after ForJoy.

Note 3:  The Sherming 9 link for NHK-G was active for less than 24 hours.  Its plug was pulled by the copyright cops just before the Day1 sumo went on the air.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

An alternative is TV Japan. They carry all the makunouchi matches every day and English commentary, occasionally by John Gunning (I wish he was on more often) is available. 

TV Japan is carried in the USA by Spectrum, Comcast, Cox, Optimum, RCN, and Verizon FIOS cable companies. It is available on satellite only via DirecTV. It is also carried by AT&T U-verse.

Most of Japan TV’s programs are broadcast in Japanese, but some (including sumo) are also bilingual in English. NHK is the primary source of its programming, but other sources are also included. If someone is interested in spending about $25 a month for a very good source of Japanese programming, TV Japan may be worth looking into.

Edited by sekitori

Day 1 - NHK-G activated sumo on schedule at 3:15PM JST. Mbovo, Konan and ForJoyTV (FJTV) picked it up.  Sherming9 appears to have been booted off at the last minute. It didn't last long. >:-(
-            Konan has become jerky just after sumo went active.

Edited by Asojima

Here in Geneva, I was able to stream Mbovosumo up until Yoshikaze's amazing utchari victory over Chiyoshoma, and then the feed cut out.  Anyone know what happened there?

I then tried Sherming9 and saw that it (along with our friend Asojima) had been blocked by a vindictive MarK.  I was at a complete loss until I tried the Youtube live stream.  Any sumo is better than no sumo!  Hopefully, that stream will continue to be up for the rest of the tournament.

I really don't want to have to pay the crazy subscription for JSTV.

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Here in Geneva, I was able to stream Mbovosumo up until Yoshikaze's amazing utchari victory over Chiyoshoma, and then the feed cut out.  Anyone know what happened there?

I then tried Sherming9 and saw that it (along with our friend Asojima) had been blocked by a vindictive MarK.  I was at a complete loss until I tried the Youtube live stream.  Any sumo is better than no sumo!  Hopefully, that stream will continue to be up for the rest of the tournament.

I really don't want to have to pay the crazy subscription for JSTV.

check the link I posted tomorrow

Day 2 - FJTV shows NHK-BS scheduled for sumo from 1:00PM JST to 3:00PM and NHK-G from 3:08PM to 6PM.  (High Sandanme thru Makuuchi). Mbovo should start close to 2:15.  Sherming is still gone.
-            Mbovo active at 2:15PM with the Juryo dohyo-iri.
-            Sumo coverage shifted from NHK-BS to NHK-G at 3:08 in mid-Juryo.
-            qq is active at 3:50PM with the Abema programming.

Day 3 thru 5 - Ditto Day 2. qq not known yet.

Edited by Asojima

I can't even open their website :( Maybe my IP address is blocked.

Edited by mbovo

qq has been doing next-day replays of most of the sekitori broadcast by Abema.  Day 4 is available now.

Day 6 - Getting a "no connection available" notice on forjoytv.com. Are they doing an IPS block after too many account activations? No sign of a day 5 replay of Abema on qq.

Edited by Asojima

5 hours ago, Asojima said:

Day 6 - Getting a "no connection available" notice on forjoytv.com. Are they doing an IPS block after too many account activations?

Publicly advertising this option may not have been the best thing to do and may have something to do with recent connection problems.

edit: I can confirm, using VPN there's no problem opening their site so there must be some kind of IP screening/blocking after a number of trial accounts...

Edited by mbovo

This thread scares me the most. Always has, always will. As helpful as it is ( and it is) we never really know the damage, if it exists. I don't like not knowing.

Edited by Kintamayama

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This thread scares me the most. Always has, always will. As helpful as it is ( and it is) we never really know the damage, if it exists. I don't like not knowing.

Omerta - The code of silence.

It looks like it comes out of Kowloon, Hong Kong.  There have been several of these Chinese throw copyright to the wind and stream everything applications in the past.  They tend to have a strong, promising, but mysterious startup, and they then just disappear into the wind. I use them, but I am never comfortable with what I am getting into.

Edit:  Discovered that my antivirus is blocking forjoytv.com on my laptop, but allowing it on other computers.  Investigating.
Edit 2:  AVG seems to have been blocking it as a "fake website". Turned off the check, went to site, registered a new account, and turned the AVG check back on.  Registered another new account with no problem.  Another day in the streaming wars.  (Thinkingindepth...)

Edited by Asojima

Day 7 - Weekend in Tokyo, so no NHK-BS sumo coverage for the next 2 days. Coverage starts on NHK-G (and Mbovo) at 3:08PM JST. Konan is redirecting to the Tokyo Olympic Committee website. qq is now offering a VOD replay of the Day 6 Abema sekitori coverage.

Edit: FJTV is still operating normally.

Reminder:  NHK World will provide live coverage of the last half of makuuchi with english commentary tomorrow (Day 8) starting at 5:10PM JST.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Asojima said:

Reminder:  NHK World will provide live coverage of the last half of makuuchi with english commentary tomorrow (Day 8) starting at 5:10PM JST.

Is that still on? It doesn't appear in my program guide for my satellite box.

Edited by Naganoyama

Day 8 - Still the weekend, so NHK-BS will skip sumo, but NHK-G (and Mbovo) should pick up in mid-Juryo at 3:08PM JST.  Konan NHK-G sumo is back, for what it is worth. FJTV is alive and well.  NHK World is scheduled for live late makuuchi with English commentary starting at 5:10PM JST.  It appears that qq may supply a VOD of Abema's Day 7 sekitori matches, but nothing yet.

Day 9 - The NHK-BS schedule shows sumo being preempted for special programming.  NHK-G shows the normal sumo start-up at 3:08PM JST.

Edited by Asojima

Day 10 - NHK-BS is scheduled to return to its normal weekday programming with sumo start-up at 1:00PM JST.  NHK-G is also the normal start-up at 3:08PM.
-             qq is running a VOD for digest of the day 9 Abema sekitori makuuchi coverage.

Edited by Asojima

Now NHK has vanished from ForJoyTV - 4 channels

I had hoped it would last till the end of the basho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Now NHK has vanished from ForJoyTV - 4 channels

I had hoped it would last till the end of the basho

Thanks for the info, I'll get back to my old sources...

I quit watching live steaming about the first of this year, and I have only been tracking the comings and goings of the sites for the benefit of our forum members.  The time has come to pass this along to someone else with more interest in it than I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6