Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Rikishi Status Aki 2018 - Day 13 Return/Wthdrw

Day 3 Late, Day 4 Late, Day 5 LateDay 7, Day 8, Day 9, Day 9, part 2, Day 11 Late, Day 12 Late, Day 13 ,

Gyoji: Shikimori Yonokichi (Makuuchi)

Based on information on the NSK website, no the following sekitori rikishi will be absent on Day 1 of the 2018 Aki basho (subject to change). The status of all other rikishi will be revealed in about 24 hours.

DAY 1

Ms32e Murata   (link)
Ms45e Asabenkei
Ms47e Terunofuji
Ms48e Fukugoriki
Ms49e Amakaze

Sd26w Tsugaruumi
Sd28e Rendaiyama
Sd36e Nakashima
Sd38w Fukunofuji
Sd43w Fujisato
Sd92e Matsuyama

Jd1e Daiseiho
Jd18e Terunohana
Jd46w Kojikara
Jd47w Kitanomine
Jd70w Buken   (link)
Jd84w Kiminofuji
Jd95w Chiyooume
Jd102w Yamanaka
Jd103e Kokuryunami

Jk22w Wakaoyama
Jk28w Koreyasu   (link)
Jk29w Kotoyamato
Jk30w Hatooka
Jk31e Watanabe

Edited by Fukurou

Among others, this marks the 3rd consecutive basho missed by Ms45e Asabenkei, the 6th out of the last 7 basho missed by Ms47e Terunofuji, and the second straight by Ms49e Amakaze, all former Sekitori.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

In good news, Ms9e Sokokurai is back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 04:18, Fukurou said:

Ms32e Murata

Jd70w Buken

Jk28w Koreyasu

Murata left hospital on crutches in early August following his knee surgery, obviously he's still recovering from that.

Buken was in hospital due to appendix trouble.

Asakayama-beya reported that Koreyasu has retired.

Banzuke-gai Terasawa had surgery to fix a herniated disk, he was able to attend the sumo school during August while he recovered. Don't know if he's ready to return though. Elsewhere, Kozakura is no longer shown on Tatsunami-beya's website, so he's likely retired too.

• Thanks 5

On 07/09/2018 at 23:05, Fukurou said:

the second straight by Ms49e Amakaze

Was there any information on Amakaze's injury? H'es not that old and he was a Juryo mainstay for a few years. Is he likely to return? 

47 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Was there any information on Amakaze's injury? H'es not that old and he was a Juryo mainstay for a few years. Is he likely to return? 

The NSK's kyujo list never gives info about injuries. I did a quick forum search here and found a post from July that mentions he hurt his knee. I didn't come across speculation about how bad or how long. Maybe a more in-depth search will turn up something, or someone else will know.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

The NSK's kyujo list never gives info about injuries. I did a quick forum search here and found a post from July that mentions he hurt his knee. I didn't come across speculation about how bad or how long. Maybe a more in-depth search will turn up something, or someone else will know.

Thanks, I did a search but didn't see that. 

Seiro withdrew very late. Mitoryu gets fusen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Seiro withdrew very late. Mitoryu gets fusen. 

NHK tells that he was preparing in the shitaku-beya and there he decided to go kyujo - he had sprained his left leg and the pain had grown too intense

Edited by Akinomaki

Kyokutaisei kyujo from Day 4 with a right knee injury. First kyujo of his career. Ryuden will receive the default win.

• Sad 5

14 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Kyokutaisei kyujo from Day 4 with a right knee injury. First kyujo of his career.

The official word: Meniscus damage to both knees, one month. Might come back according to Tomozuna-oyakata.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Kyokutaisei kyujo from Day 4 with a right knee injury. First kyujo of his career. Ryuden will receive the default win.

589 consecutive matches. Dating back to January 2008.

• Like 2

Kyodo reports that Yutakayama is kyujo from Day 5. According to his shisho he sustained an elbow injury in his Day 3 loss to Kisenosato.

Goeido will collect the fusensho.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Kyodo reports that Yutakayama is kyujo from Day 5. According to his shisho he sustained an elbow injury in his Day 3 loss to Kisenosato.

wow.

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Confirmed on NSK site

2 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Confirmed on NSK site

Nothing on Aoiyama. I guess he's going to tough it out with the ankle. 

11 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Reported as an ankle injury in the English Kyodo News - I presume that's an error?

32 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Reported as an ankle injury in the English Kyodo News - I presume that's an error?

Yes. 左肘内側側副靭帯, medial collateral ligament? His left elbow was strapped in his Day 4 bout, I just noticed.

Oh, and in follow-up articles the shisho said Yutakayama wants to return to the basho if the pain subsides enough.

Elsewhere, Makuuchi gyoji Shikimori Yonokichi is still kyujo (fourth basho in a row I think?) due to poor physical health, while Kimura Hisanosuke is kyujo from Day 5 onwards for the same reason. (Shakinghead...)

20 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Yes. 左肘内側側副靭帯, medial collateral ligament? His left elbow was strapped in his Day 4 bout, I just noticed.

Ulnar collateral ligament is probably better, to avoid confusion with the "better-known" MCL in the knee. Common baseball injury (so common apparently that the Wikipedia article even makes specific reference to it), not sure we've seen it with a sumotori before.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Common baseball injury (so common apparently that the Wikipedia article even makes specific reference to it)

Probably because the first man to undergo reconstructive surgery of that ligament was Tommy John, a baseball pitcher, and the surgery is now commonplace and effective largely thanks to his and other pitchers' success. I even heard references to "Tommy John surgery" even in my water polo days, in a team where nobody knew anything about baseball.

2 hours ago, Fukurou said:

Day 7

Seiro (0-3-3) is returning on day 7. 

Now that is surprising. I know he only needs a few wins to avoid demotion to makushita but he was limping badly. Good luck to him.