Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

A dai-zensho requires to win each day against a so far undefeated opponent

And win the decider against a 15-0 stable mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tsubame said:

Does being demoted to Makushita will end Gagamarus perennial Ozeki-run or not?

(Thinkingindepth...)

It will just make it more momentous when it actually happens...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tsubame said:

(Thinkingindepth...)

Think of it more as an Ozeki-marathon than and Ozeeki-run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Mita has definitely improved.   The question is ... what can he improve to be more consistent in the 2nd half of basho?   Stamina? Focus?  He has an unhealthy losing record for the last 8 bashos between 8th and 15th days.   If he can figure that out, he will be a good Ozeki.  

This made me laugh!

Tautology intended?

The problem with the second week is just, being Sekiwake, you will get the top rankers as opponents as basic schedule rule.

A Sekiwake winning lots of bouts in the second week, against Ozeki+Yokozuna, obviously makes up a good Ozeki.

Unless he is demoted to Komusubi ;-)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tsubame said:

(Thinkingindepth...)

He's just decided to take his fellow Georgian Tochinoshin's route since that obviously worked out well for Tochi. Look out for Ozeki Gagamaru in 2020!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Andreas21 said:

This made me laugh!

Tautology intended?

The problem with the second week is just, being Sekiwake, you will get the top rankers as opponents as basic schedule rule.

A Sekiwake winning lots of bouts in the second week, against Ozeki+Yokozuna, obviously makes up a good Ozeki.

Unless he is demoted to Komusubi ;-)

Mita has been losing to Maegs in the 2nd half of the basho, ones he should/could win to step up to the next rank.   Just check out of his losses in the 2nd half of the basho.   His 2nd half win-loss disparity is made more significant B/C he has also lost to Maegs.    

Edited by robnplunder

My impressions on sanyaku in these not so weacky aki;

Hak: Old but gold. the combination of speed, power, experience added to the fact of beeing the alpha-dog in the mongolian pack its equal to zensho. Its sad to see part of the public not enjoyng the final days of the goat because of some idiot nacionalism. Mr. Monkhbatyn stills carry with pride the Kanji of Mr. Kōkii...i mean...just looks at those summer dreams drawings thing...Everybody dreaming with beaches and icecream...MF was thinking about Genghis MF Khan! F psycopath! I rest my case.

Kisenōgakusato: ok, i will pass on that one...if people wants to believe that its possible to do sumo without the major pectoralis left muscle, and his bouts on  aki was fair and square...what can i do...i guess the important thingh is that kyokai still have his golden egg's goose...

Kak:after being carried like a baby by Tochi he totally lost himself. that's alarming because with Kise and Hak fading, the Ozeki squad for one or other reason not looking bright, and the young ones far from maturing...He have such an oportunity to be, at least for a couple of years, the top dog...

Tochi: what an agony  watching a Kadoban ozeki fighting on these conditions...So happy he made it!

Takayasu:maybe this prediction blows in my face...but i think Takayasu will get his first yusho very soon. Im also thinks he is the best shoot of japan's to have an yokozuna on the next 2 or 3 years...

Goeido: MF its still there. Many people sees him as somekind of intruder in ozekiland...but i think he is to good for sekiwake and not good enough for yokozuna...so...

Ichi: my big boy! imo we see 3 ichinojos; ichi with no pain, ichi with pain and Ichi on pain killers.

Mita: he choked? yeah, sure. he have time to develop his mind's coolness? Yeah, sure.

Sato: im starting to get worried with this kid. He may be tough but when you slaps evebody cheeks all the time with no respect...well...people starts to hit back. Really dont know if he have the strengh to keep with this style along the years without hurting himself. Performance this basho? Excelent.

Tamawashi: its getting harder and harder to keep the pace in the top...I used to think that he eventually, with luck, could put a kyokutenho...But...no more, no way.

PS* Hooray to my homie Komusubi Kaisei! Do Bom Retiro pro Kokugikan, caralho! Arregaça Ricardão!

6 hours ago, Rocks said:

Think of it more as an Ozeki-marathon than and Ozeeki-run.

I would pay good money to see Gagamaru attempt to run a marathon.

• Haha 1

People like to make fun of Goeido because he had a very long time at Sekiwake where he would put up one good tournament, but couldn't follow it up.  It lasted years.  When he finally got 2 12-win tournaments close enough they decided that was good enough even with only 32 wins.  He had to win his last match in his first tournament as Ozeki to not be kadoban.  He then went 5-10 in his second Ozeki tournament, and had to win the last 3 matches to get a KK in the next.  It took him over a year to get double digits again, and had three MKs in that time.  Since then he's grown into it a bit more and hasn't been quite as mediocre, having won a yusho, but he still went 7-8 losing his last three matches soon after that.

Basically, he's a guy who is decidedly mediocre when compared to Yokozuna who "lucked" into an Ozeki promotion and almost lost it immediately.  If he manages double-digit wins next tournament, then we can move beyond that, but until then, he's always going to be the Ozeki who's never going anywhere.  He was so close to being the worst Ozeki ever, needing those 3 wins at the end of the third tournament, that until recently he's generally been seen as only marginally worthy of his rank.

Goeido didn't start his long run at Sekiwake (which recall had two MKs) until he was 26, while Mitakeumi will be in his 11th straight sanyaku tournament now at 25 (26 in December) and already has a yusho.  Plus he went to college and then rocketed up the banzuke from an Ms10 start, so we don't how well he could have done if he started sooner.  He might not be better than Goeido right now, but he certainly appears to be more likely than Goeido to take it to the next level.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Just found this gif in a picdump, absolutely hilarious. Did this happen during Aki?

25.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Just found this gif in a picdump, absolutely hilarious. Did this happen during Aki?

No idea as to your question.  I have to wonder if that was called an isamiashi, or if the winning rikishi was given credit for the slight tap on the back on his opponent's way out for either okuridashi or tsukitoshi.

30 minutes ago, Kuroyama said:

I would pay good money to see Gagamaru run through a buffet!(Laughing...)

50 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Sato: im starting to get worried with this kid. He may be tough but when you slaps evebody cheeks all the time with no respect...well...people starts to hit back. Really dont know if he have the strengh to keep with this style along the years without hurting himself. Performance this basho? Excelent.

IMO, bigger rikishis are on the verge of figuring this guy out.   Those who already did had a rather easy time to beat him.   Others are clueless on how to stave off Tankakeisho.  And I don't think he can continue to slug it out before big guys with longer reach sets him into place.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

Someone has to pay me to watch Gagamaru do anything of interest.  :-P

50 minutes ago, Kuroyama said:

You mean roll a marathon? 

39 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Just saw, the cushions aren't purple, so it's not Aki/Tokyo. To my shame, i don't know which of the other venues uses green cushions.

7 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Just saw, the cushions aren't purple, so it's not Aki/Tokyo. To my shame, i don't know which of the other venues uses green cushions.

Amsterdam? they sure have some nice green cushions there. (Alienstuff...)(Laughing...)

As a classroom activity back in the days when I taught ESL, I used to have students merge two existing sports and create rules for a new one. My example for them was the “Sumarathon” in which large men in mawashi would run 26 miles while attempting to push each other off the course or throw each other down. It’s nice to be reminded of it. :)

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

With a slow runner holding a DNF sign attempting to overtake him. 

2 hours ago, Washuyama said:

Without touching it at all?

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Someone has to pay me to watch Gagamaru do anything of interest.  :-P

Gagamaru would probably bribe you with natto. 

2 hours ago, dingo said:

You mean roll a marathon? 

(Laughing...)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gurowake said:

People like to make fun of Goeido because he had a very long time at Sekiwake where he would put up one good tournament, but couldn't follow it up.  It lasted years.  When he finally got 2 12-win tournaments close enough they decided that was good enough even with only 32 wins.  He had to win his last match in his first tournament as Ozeki to not be kadoban.  He then went 5-10 in his second Ozeki tournament, and had to win the last 3 matches to get a KK in the next.  It took him over a year to get double digits again, and had three MKs in that time.  Since then he's grown into it a bit more and hasn't been quite as mediocre, having won a yusho, but he still went 7-8 losing his last three matches soon after that.

Basically, he's a guy who is decidedly mediocre when compared to Yokozuna who "lucked" into an Ozeki promotion and almost lost it immediately.  If he manages double-digit wins next tournament, then we can move beyond that, but until then, he's always going to be the Ozeki who's never going anywhere.  He was so close to being the worst Ozeki ever, needing those 3 wins at the end of the third tournament, that until recently he's generally been seen as only marginally worthy of his rank.

Goeido was (at least) two times lucky in his career: To get the nod for his Ozeki promotion with just 32 wins and with his very surprising zensho-yusho.

Look at his record, and imagine for second, that he didn't get the nod after his 32 wins? He was never again even close to a second ozeki run. He would be the typical meatgrinder top-performer: too good for maegashira, too bad (or less consistent) for the next step up. You could compare him IMHO to Wakanosato. He was the poster boy of a (good and persistent) sekiwake. And in the same way I see Goeido. He is a very good Sekiwake level Rikishi, who just got very lucky to get promoted to Ozeki.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

He is a very good Sekiwake level Rikishi, who just got very lucky to get promoted to Ozeki.

It seems he made the best of his "luck" by never losing his Ozeki rank.   Will take him over Terunofuji any day.

10 hours ago, Benihana said:

25.gif

Hokutoshu vs Narutaki - day 10 of Haru 2018. Its from this video:

@Gurowake seems it was given as tsukiotoshi if I'm reading the db right

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2