Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Did anyone else sense a degree of tension when the NHK championship interview got underway?  Hakuho simply stood there, uncertain what the crowd was thinking, after he was introduced to the fans.  Then finally, he saw someone wave to him (I assume), and so he waved back.  Perhaps that made him realise that maybe it would be nice if he were to wave to the fans in all four directions.  

A Japanese friend of mine told me that Japanese fans are getting tired of the Mongolian domination of sumo.  I definitely got the sense that (most if not all) fans may be getting tired of Hakuho's domination of sumo.  On Day 14, there was a group of fans holding up paper signs first in support of Kisenosato and then in support of Kakuryu during their repective dohyoiris.  Similar paper signs were not held up during Hakuho's dohyoiri!  It was as if that select group of fans wanted to cheer for the underdogs (? Japanese or Mongolian) before Hakuho sealed his 41st championship victory...

For me the ongoing basho is always the best that ever was.

What I remember of previous basho is not much - mainly the yusho winner and first time promotions.

This basho is now just over, so there is a bit more that has still left an impression.

Ichinojo has again managed to get kachi-koshi in the end - again and again unbelievable after that miserable a start - and I love him for this (because there is no other reason for that at the moment).

Asanoyama again disappointed the high hopes after an excellent start - I still think he's OOTNO (one of the next ozeki - same for Ichinojo) - and I get the feeling Yutakayama doing bad pulls him down after some delay - and v.v.

Mitakeumi had a fantastic result for that amount of training, proving that to do just enough can get one through (to the next chance with better odds) - and helps to avoid injury

Enho gets nowhere but to makuuchi - like every uchi-deshi of Hakuho -  but won't stay long either like all of them (and it may take a while in the first place)

Kise is back for another year

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Did anyone else sense a degree of tension when the NHK championship interview got underway?  Hakuho simply stood there, uncertain what the crowd was thinking, after he was introduced to the fans.  Then finally, he saw someone wave to him (I assume), and so he waved back.  Perhaps that made him realise that maybe it would be nice if he were to wave to the fans in all four directions.  

A Japanese friend of mine told me that Japanese fans are getting tired of the Mongolian domination of sumo.  I definitely got the sense that (most if not all) fans may be getting tired of Hakuho's domination of sumo.  On Day 14, there was a group of fans holding up paper signs first in support of Kisenosato and then in support of Kakuryu during their repective dohyoiris.  Similar paper signs were not held up during Hakuho's dohyoiri!  It was as if that select group of fans wanted to cheer for the underdogs (? Japanese or Mongolian) before Hakuho sealed his 41st championship victory...

That’s fairly natural. You see it across sport in general. Everyone hates Man Utd because they ruined football by dominating in the 90s. People don’t want completely unpredictable championships (even if they think they do) but they do want at least a handful of contenders to be in with a shout. Hakuho has just been so good for so long that even when he’s off he’s more on than most of the other guys. I’ve grown weary of him winning too. His era has pretty much been exactly the time I’ve been following sumo. I’ve loved the last year or two when he has been out a few times and we’ve been able to see a few other people lift the cup. It’s been good for sumo. 

16 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Everyone hates Man Utd because they ruined football by dominating in the 90s. 

I hated Man Utd long before the 90s...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morty said:

I hated Man Utd long before the 90s...

Haha! As did many people. The 90s just confirmed they were right to do so.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Perhaps that made him realise that maybe it would be nice if he were to wave to the fans in all four directions.  

He does that every single time he wins the yusho and gives a speech. I think all winners do that, actually.

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Mitakeumi had a fantastic result for that amount of training, proving that to do just enough can get one through (to the next chance with better odds) - and helps to avoid injury

Mitakeumi does a LOT of training, but he is very bad at it, as if he doesn't want to show all he has. This time, he didn't train a lot at the jungyo, but after that, from around September 1st, he did train pretty extensively. Everyone's on his case for the quality, not the quantity. He trained a lot with the Kasugano triumvirate of Tochiouzan, Tochinoshin and Aoiyama. Many bouts. The fact he doesn't do well in training(an understatement) may be the cause of his doing well when it counts. Who knows.

6 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

As predicted by Kinta, 11 wins for Aoiyama and Onosho. ;-)

Kaisei!

I knew I got something right. At least I got Mitakeumi right, though.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main feeling I have at the end of this basho is a huge sense of relief that Kisenosato lives to fight another day. 

I dunno if Hakuho’s yusho was really zensho worthy. He looked a bit shaky on a couple of occasions. Still, it was an impressive comeback. Maybe taking a few basho off by withdrawing if he is just a little injured,  with the odd yusho thrown in, will be the way he gets to 2020 and the Olympics. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Enho can do better than ishiura because he doesn't try to do big man sumo at all unlike ishiura who forgets everyone is 50kilos(110lbs) heavier than him, Enho does need to get bigger but his skillset is phenomenal and with Hakuho mentoring him great things could be coming from the little guy.

But does he have the body to get more muscle and more kilos overall? Thats gonna be the most important question of his career.

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

The main feeling I have at the end of this basho is a huge sense of relief that Kisenosato lives to fight another day. 

I dunno if Hakuho’s yusho was really zensho worthy. He looked a bit shaky on a couple of occasions. Still, it was an impressive comeback. Maybe taking a few basho off by withdrawing if he is just a little injured,  with the odd yusho thrown in, will be the way he gets to 2020 and the Olympics. 

These days zensho is no longer something rare. Even Goeindo had a zensho under his belt.

11 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

These days zensho is no longer something rare. Even Goeindo had a zensho under his belt.

In the last 5 years (30 bashos), there have been 5 zenshos. Hakuho in Hatsu 2015. Hakuho in Natsu 2016. Goeido in Aki 2016. Hakuho in Natsu 2017. Hakuho in Aki 2018. The last non Tokyo zensho was Hakuho in Haru 2013.

• Like 2

It is a worthy reminder to the all-knowing community that after the so Yokozuna unworthy dame oshi that Hakuho (who must be punished and forced to retire, become a monk and erase him from sumo history, ) did to Ichinojo, the later won his 5 last bouts in a row to secure his bare 8-7 kachikoshi. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Everyone hates Man Utd because they ruined football by dominating in the 90s.

And MLB fans are separated into two groups: Yankee fans and Yankee haters.

Ichinojo remains a mystery. Paraphrasing a saying I've heard of one MMA fighter: He looks like that character in a video game that has totally overpowered stats but is controlled by your special needs cousin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Aminishiki after makekoshi has to think about a lot of things before he can say if he'll go on at 40 or not, Gagamaru (drop to makushita imminent for the sekitori since Kyushu 2009) after he consulted with Kise oyakata will think about what he'll do http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180923/sum18092321160019-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Morty said:

Since the Geek lost his Ozeki rank he has been on a slow slide downwards and it is obvious he has lost that forward bumpety power that made him so formidable.

I have to say i was pretty shocked with Giku this basho given the start he had. No excuse whatsoever for not getting a KK. He looked  to be sliding down very slowly and I expected he would survive for a while yet but his loss to Nishikigi is inexpiable. Even having dropped like he has, not being able to beat someone like Nishikigi with your KK on the line means a lot to me. He only got 2 wins this basho against guys who KKed and both of those eeked it out on the last day. His slide may be becoming more precipitous now. 

Giku also has managed only one KK this year so far, an 8-7. Along with that his 31 wins is the worst among everyone except Kisenosato with 11. 

Edited by Rocks

3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

Somehow reminiscent of Federer skipping the clay season.

26 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I have to say i was pretty shocked with Giku this basho given the start he had. No excuse whatsoever for not getting a KK. He looked  to be sliding down very slowly and I expected he would survive for a while yet but his loss to Nishikigi is inexpiable. Even having dropped like he has, not being able to beat someone like Nishikigi with your KK on the line means a lot to me. He only got 2 wins this basho against guys who KKed and both of those eeked it out on the last day. His slide may be becoming more precipitous now. 

He has lost the power to come in low and bury his face in his opponents chest.  This was the secret of his bumpety power.  At 34 yoa, he is what he is, and he will be slowly sinking into the sunset.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Mitakeumi does a LOT of training, but he is very bad at it, as if he doesn't want to show all he has. This time, he didn't train a lot at the jungyo, but after that, from around September 1st, he did train pretty extensively. Everyone's on his case for the quality, not the quantity. He trained a lot with the Kasugano triumvirate of Tochiouzan, Tochinoshin and Aoiyama. Many bouts. The fact he doesn't do well in training(an understatement) may be the cause of his doing well when it counts. Who knows.

I like Mita's strategy.  I think it will cut down on injuries, and leave something for the basho.   That does not explain his 2nd half basho record though.   

5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I like Mita's strategy.  I think it will cut down on injuries, and leave something for the basho.   That does not explain his 2nd half basho record though.   

It says that he does what he has to do to get by.  What he does in keiko, he does in the hon-basho.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He does that every single time he wins the yusho and gives a speech. I think all winners do that, actually.

My point was that there seemed to be an awkward delay in him doing that this time around.  Perhaps he was just out of practice... ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac

Congrats Kaisei! A well deserved sanyaku spot again! Next time please fall a couple Yok, ok? :D

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

My point was that there seemed to be an awkward delay in him doing that this time around.  Perhaps he was just out of practice... ;-)

The whole celebration seemed a bit muted. I don't think he won many hearts with all the head game mattas against Takayasu and Goeido. Worse he seemed to set off a rash of it from the other sekitori. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rocks said:

The whole celebration seemed a bit muted. I don't think he won many hearts with all the head game mattas against Takayasu and Goeido. Worse he seemed to set off a rash of it from the other sekitori. 

Hak's antics are not worthy of goat.   It seems his ego got the best of him, thinks he can do anything and get away with it.  The time he refused to admit he fairly lost ... that was unforgettable and unforgivable.   I don't remember anything else from that basho other than Hak's refusing to leave and holding shinpans and fans hostage (so to speak).   That was arrogance to the max and this sumo fan has no love left for a goat.

( ... and the extra push after a match is, well, what a bully kid does in elementary school yards )

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 2