Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

4 hours ago, John Gunning said:

I dunno where you got that story but it’s a total fabrication.

He was absent because he was suspended by the oyakata and almost purged with all the others who retired (were fired) at that time.

Somehow he managed to avoid the chop. Maybe because his role in all that went on wasn’t fully known or maybe because the boss was afraid if he got rid of every single rikishi the heya would be closed.

Regardless far from ‘developing doubts’ he begged not to be thrown out and had others interceding on his behalf. 

Well, I have tried to reconstruct his career by using Wikipedia and other online reports. Since my abilities to read Japanese are rather limited, I also used a translator. Probably, things got messed up at this point. If he really was suspended instead of running away, I stand corrected here and thank you for correcting this error.

Edited by Raishu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

I remember Hakuho is forbidden to use face-slapping at the tachiai, but I noticed he used it on Kise. Also, Takayasu also used it on Kakuryu. I'd like to hear what the YDC will say.  :-)

I think the restriction isnt for the slap but to the combination slap n' elbow. Not that Hak needed any of these tricks against the lamezuna kabukisenosato. Was a matter of disrespect.

Personaly i love the slap and elbow...In that fight against Takayasu, to me, whats make the Ozeki shinitai himself like that was an instintive reaction of his body memory...He knewed that Mr Monkhbatin was furious and prepared himself to an Genghis-Khan-style-elbow in the mouth. Layng his body to reduce the impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Gunning said:

19_AE7_C9_B_BAED_4991_B68_F_B69_D96_A274

Sumo.

Trust me you really want to take the blue pill.

I'm pretty sure you are right Mr. Gunning. If I knew all the behind the scenes stuff you know, I'm afraid my interest in Sumo might suffer... There's a reason why I refuse to watch documentaries about industrial chicken farming, I still love my Chicken McNuggets.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Kaioshoryu said:

I'm pretty sure you are right Mr. Gunning. If I knew all the behind the scenes stuff you know, I'm afraid my interest in Sumo might suffer... There's a reason why I refuse to watch documentaries about industrial chicken farming, I still love my Chicken McNuggets.

Plato's Cave gets more crowded each day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you’re shocked that Tochinoshin lost to Shodai, you have another thing coming. Shodai has been poison for the Georgian lately.

1 minute ago, WAKATAKE said:

Shodai has been poison for the Georgian lately.

So you think he'll be paralyzed against Abi, too?

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Remains to be seen. I just did not feel surprised at the day 13 result considering it was Shodai.

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Tochinoshin is a belt wrestler, wouldn’t Abi be hard for him by default?

Just now, WAKATAKE said:

I just did not feel surprised at the day 13 result considering it was Shodai.

Just for bragging rights: I was one of only two players to pick Shodai in Sekitori Toto.

Blast it, Goeidou. Now I'm super stoked to see him fight Hakuho this evening to keep those incredibly long yusho odds alive. Although, I mean, if Kakuryu is hurt (which seems likely, given he dropped three in a row) then Hakuho has this tournament already wrapped up, win or lose. But knowing this, SUPERGOU will probably show up to defeat the dai-yokozuna and break the zensho.

Hang on. This needs more conspiracy. And then Kakuryu wasn't hurt, but was faking it to lull Hakuho into a false sense of security, and then he defeats Hakuho on the final day, catapulting Takayasu, Goeidou and Hakuho into a three-way playoff. All of which is intended to take the heat off of Orora's sudden intai. No cameras please. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, rhyen said:

Orora bowed today with his hands clasped in prayer and received flowers in the hanamichi.

I will let the veterans work out the significance. 

He said "itadakimasu", ate the flowers and thus took the first step towards veganism? 

Hakuho is looking mighty tough, good concentration, agile. The boy is on. Again!

I'm pulling for the Georgian to still get his kachikoshi. We shall see. Abi's no push over with those long arms, flexibility and speed. I, for one, enjoyed the last basho even with a lot of the top guns out. This basho has had some phenomenal matches, though, pretty much every day. Even though I've not been too active on the forum, I'll be missing sumo on Monday...

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Just for bragging rights: I was one of only two players to pick Shodai in Sekitori Toto.

Just for bragging rights: I was the only person who picked Shodai in TUG and got “golden bonus points”

• Haha 1

Just for bragging rights: I've never made a wrong prediction in either of these games. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would love to see Goeido pull off the upset and take down Hakuho today. Will be worthy of a championship bout for sure. 

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Blast it, Goeidou. Now I'm super stoked to see him fight Hakuho this evening to keep those incredibly long yusho odds alive. Although, I mean, if Kakuryu is hurt (which seems likely, given he dropped three in a row) then Hakuho has this tournament already wrapped up, win or lose. But knowing this, SUPERGOU will probably show up to defeat the dai-yokozuna and break the zensho.

Hang on. This needs more conspiracy. And then Kakuryu wasn't hurt, but was faking it to lull Hakuho into a false sense of security, and then he defeats Hakuho on the final day, catapulting Takayasu, Goeidou and Hakuho into a three-way playoff. All of which is intended to take the heat off of Orora's sudden intai. No cameras please. 

What is going on with Orora? Just quitting? I thought he needed the medical? 

I doubt very much if Hakuho intends face slapping in and of itself to be anything more than a distraction. Face slapping followed by the elbow smash is however, a deadly combination. If you want to see a harite that alone caused real damage, watch this video of the way Kyokudozan used it against Kushimaumi. It knocked Kusihimaumi senseless. 

Edited by sekitori

1 hour ago, 808morgan said:

I somehow believe that he will stay in sumo in some capacity but I have no inside information. Just a guess on my part.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I doubt very much if Hakuho intends face slapping in and of itself to be anything more than a distraction. Face slapping followed by the elbow smash is however, a deadly combination. If you want to see a harite that alone caused real damage, watch this video of the way Kyokudozan used it against Kushimaumi. It knocked Kusihimaumi senseless. 

There's no elbow here. That's all they face smash that knocks him senseless.  This shows why a "slap" can be really bad. The slap with a stiff arm along with the opponent running into it makes it almost as bad as a punch. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I doubt very much if Hakuho intends face slapping in and of itself to be anything more than a distraction. The face slapping followed by the elbow smash is however, a deadly weapon. If you want to see a harite that caused real damage, watch this video of the way Kyokudozan used it against Kushimaumi. It knocked Kusihimaumi senseless. 

Kyokudozan was apparently known for this -- before my time, but I have to imagine folks who were following sumo during his career must know all about him. When I played this video on YouTube, a brief program covering his "Top 10" harite came up in the suggestions. The guy was brutal with it.

Edited by Kuroyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 808morgan said:

He still has a perfect record against Hakuho. He’s quitting while he’s ahead.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Kuroyama said:

Kyokudozan was apparently known for this -- before my time, but I have to imagine folks who were following sumo during his career must have known. When I played this video on YouTube, a brief program covering his "Top 10" harite came up in the suggestions. The guy was brutal with it.

Yeah, that's boxing not sumo. The guy was throwing targeted upper cuts purposefully in a sport where most guys lead with their chin and stiff arms to the face are uncommon. On top of that he is wrapping the palms of his hands to make them stiffer and harder. Why they don't police taping the hands and wrists carefully I have no idea. Anyone without a demonstrable injury should not be allowed to wear anything except minimal wrist support and never tape the palm. 

Edited by Rocks

1 minute ago, Rocks said:

Yeah, that's boxing not sumo. The guy was throwing targeted upper cuts purposefully in a sport where most guys lead with their chin and stiff arms to the face arm uncommon. On top of that he is wrapping the palms of his hands to make them stiffer and harder. Why they don't police taping the hands and wrists carefully I have no idea. Anyone without a demonstrable injury should not be allowed to wear anything except minimal wrist support and never tape the palm. 

Sumō does literally mean “hitting/slapping/striking each other”, so perhaps the harite is truer to the sports origins than grappling.

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Sumō does literally mean “hitting/slapping/striking each other”, so perhaps the harite is truer to the sports origins than grappling.

In the legendary first sumo bout fought by Nomi no Sukune vs. Taima no Kehaya in the autumn of the Suinin era year 7, Nomi won by kicking his opponent to death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Not really. Sumo from the start has banned punches, for good reason. Anything with punches is going to end up boxing. Even if you allow grappling as part of it,  the main intent of grappling, unless you use moves design to force submission like an arm bar, is going to be to hold the opponent in position to punch him if punches are allowed. That is clearly not the intention of sumo which is why closed fists are disallowed. Using the base of the hand, especially in an upper cut targeted at the jaw is to as closely as possible replicate a punch while staying within the rules in only the most technical sense. Add taping the palm to allow you to hit even harder makes the intent very clear. If you are doing sumo with the intent of knocking the guy out then you aren't doing sumo and you shouldn't be allowed to do it.

This is one of the things I would like to see changed in sumo. Matches are overturned for hair pulls, etc. The same should be true if the judges determine a hit was purposefully meant to knock a guy out. By definition any uppercut to the head is an attempted knock out blow, use of the palm doesn't make it okay. Use of it should be an automatic DQ  IMHO. This would in no way hinder tsuppari. Takekeisho routinely uses it and never does this. His hits originate as a cross or a roundhouse, not an uppercut.  While both of these could potentially knock out an opponent it would be extremely rare to do so given the support of the arm and wrist behind the blow is not present.