Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

I was very disappointed with Hakuhou's tachiai today.  It didn't seem respectful of his opponent's standing or worthy of his own rank.  But Kisenosato may as well be fighting with one arm tied behind his back.  That left side has absolutely no power.  :(  I was also surprised that this was not the musubi no ichiban for today.  I would have thought that match would have been fairly high profile.  

I am also getting fearful that Tochinoshin may not scrape his KK together.  I hope he does though.  It would be a shame for him to lose it this way and so soon.  

12 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I was also surprised that this was not the musubi no ichiban for today.  I would have thought that match would have been fairly high profile.  

That's not how it works.

12 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

That's not how it works.

How does it work?

Not a bad day of sumo (at least for my favorites):

Saw all 6 of Ura's wins and he looked healthy & strong.  But this was at Sandanme 90+ - no real test for Ura.   6-1 is still very good.

Stoked by Mitakeumi's win.  He needs two more wins to get his Ozeki run going.   Very iffy though.

Happy with Yutakayama's win, too.   Tomorrow, it is a battle of 2-11s between Yuta and Endo.   Despite returning from kyujo, I give the nod to Yuta.  Endo doesn't look right even in today's win.

Shodai was looking strong of late and I wasn't surprised that he beat (less than 100%) Tochinoshin.  I say Tochi goes Kachikosh at Abi's expense.

Yoshikaze is back.  Makes me wonder what was his injury in the last basho.   

Loved Goeido's win as well.   No yusho chance for him though.   He won't get help from Kak who will definitely lose to Hak.  I am not even sure Kak will go all out with Hak's jensho on the line.   

Edited by robnplunder

1 hour ago, Gooner said:

How does it work?

On a strict rota--The last bout of the day (in fact the whole order) alternates between the (however many) yokozuna, in order of rank, except on day 15 when they reset to the banzuke order.  When there's three, that means that the day 13 and day 14 yokozuna-yokozuna bouts also happen to not be the last bout of the day, because those bouts are also on a pretty strict rota.  

(The same is true of the rest of the torikumi--given a list of bouts a strictly defined order exists for each day of the basho, but it varies depending on which day, as the members of each rank alternate who goes last.)

• Thanks 3

Congrats to Gokushindo for winning the Makushita Yusho and his promotion to Juryo!

He has been flying under the radar for quite a while - at least it seems so, since he barely gets mentioned here on the forum. I've been following him closely for the last years, so I would like to take this opportunity for a short introduction:

Born as Fukushima Takahiro he had already started practising sumo during his days in elementary school. He had training twice a week and attended with great nervosity that would often lead to stomachache. Around this time, he got to meet Sato Takanobu, who is now known as Takakeisho - both are from Hyogo prefecture and born the same year (1996).

During middle school, he more or less lost his motivation to train, since he barely had time to play with friends. But after being encouraged by his mother, he started to devote himself to practise and even reached 3rd place at the well-known Hakuho Cup during his third year in middle school. His sumo mentor Nojima recommended to join a high school with a strong sumo program, but he decided against it and expressed his intention to join professional sumo. Again, his mother played a major role concerning his decision. She told him to go pro first, because he could still get a proper education later - for example by taking correspondence lessons (rather unusual, because many parents seem to have reservations nowadays).

He was spotted by several heya, but ultimately joined Nishikido beya because they were the most enthusiastic regarding his recruitement. He had his debut in March 2012 and reached Sandanme after three consecutive KK, but got injured and had to skip the November basho. He was ranked as a Makushita Rikishi for the first time at the Haru Basho 2016 and produced a strong 6-1 record. However, he developed doubts whether he wants to continue as a professional and even ran away from the heya he was suspended by his Oyakata alongside other Rikishi for involvement in the Homarenishiki scandal (you will probably recognize, that he was absent from Natsu Basho 2016). While staying at his parents' house, he did some weight training and returned to the heya.

After his return, he produced two winning records and received a call up to serve as Kakuryu's tsukebito. This had a positive impact on his development, since he had the chance to travel the country alongside the Yokozuna and was able to train with many different Rikishi on regional tours. Further, based on the connection to Kakuryu, he was allowed to train at Skikoroyama beya (same ichimon), since his own troubled heya was not able to provide a fruitful environment for training (sick Oyakata, many retirements).

In March 2018, he could reach the Makushita joi-ranks for the first time (Ms4), but ended up with 3-4 record. Two bashos later, he produced the same result from Ms2, narrowly missing out on promotion with a Day 15 loss. Obviously, this did not prevent him from scoring a perfect 7-0 this basho!

He will be the second sekitori from Nishikido beya after the promotion of Mongolian Mitoryu in Januar this year.

My personal impression: Injuries notwithstanding, he will become heyagashira pretty soon! Ganbatte!

Edited by Raishu
Correction of error
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 11

Goeido had a helping hand (his right) in his win over Kakuryu today, that was very well executed.

Shodai's strategy today was spot on, just don't let Tochinoshin get a good grip. However, I do still think that Tochinoshin will get his kachikoshi this weekend.

2 hours ago, Gooner said:

How does it work?

The honour of fighting in the final bout of the day is rotated among/between the active Yokozunas on the banzuke.  In this tournament, there are three active Yokozunas.  To simplify things, let's just look at which Yokozunas appear in the final bouts (the order is fixed by their position on this tournament's banzuke):

Day 1: Kakuryu / Day 2: Hakuho / Day 3: Kisenosato / Day 4: Kakuryu / Day 5: Hakuho / Day 6: Kisenosato / Day 7: Kakuryu / Day 8: Hakuho / Day 9: Kisenosato / Day 10: Kakuryu / Day 11: Hakuho / Day 12: Kisenosato / Day 13: Kakuryu / Day 14: Hakuho / Day 15: Kakuryu & Hakuho

As you can see, Day 13 was Kakuryu's turn to be last and to have a shot at what is usually the largest prize purse...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Houshouryuu beat Naya. Kubinage.

A beautiful kubinage at that!  The guy has talent!  (Naya's no slouch either.  Like many before me, I see a rivalry brewing.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Sashi-chigae for Kounosuke after mawashi-uchiwa - bad marks for him this basho

That has gotta hurt HIS chances at promotion to Tate-gyoji, not that he is first in line to that "throne"...

Enho deserves special mention today.  He defeated Chiyonoo with a tsukiotoshi.  Not only did he secure his first KK as a sekitori (salaried wrestler), but he also did so against an opponent who used to be in the Top Division (just barely, i.e., in the first two tournaments of 2017).  

#omedetou

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rhyen said:

Orora bowed today with his hands clasped in prayer and received flowers in the hanamichi.

I will let the veterans work out the significance. 

NuY0nuoi_o.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Raishu said:

My personal impression: Injuries notwithstanding, he will become heyagashira pretty soon! Ganbatte!

Gokushindo was my surfboard in wave 11 and i chose him by accident....but i tried to watch his bouts and those were a real surprise.....in ALL seven bouts he forced his opponent to a standoff head-to-head in the middle of the dohyo.....i guess his opponents did not know what to do from this situation and he won the bouts rather easily after the standoff.....

will be interesting to see if he keeps those tactics for juryo (if he will be promoted)

• Like 1

Wow, Goeido wiped the floor with Kakuryu, that was bad-ass. 

Rough basho for Tochinoshin. It's been my hope all along that he would get his eight and then go home to heal up, but it just hasn't worked out like that. He's a trooper, though. Really hoping he can get that eighth. 

I like how well-rounded Takayasu has turned out to be. He goes here from oshi to grappling to oshi again, with nice, smooth transitions. That's the sort of flexibility I want to see in more Japanese rikishi in the future.

1 hour ago, Gernobono said:

Gokushindo was my surfboard in wave 11 and i chose him by accident....but i tried to watch his bouts and those were a real surprise.....in ALL seven bouts he forced his opponent to a standoff head-to-head in the middle of the dohyo.....i guess his opponents did not know what to do from this situation and he won the bouts rather easily after the standoff.....

will be interesting to see if he keeps those tactics for juryo (if he will be promoted)

M5e Gokushindo (7-0) will definitely be promoted to Juryo on Wednesday for the November basho. Every rikishi ranked Ms15w and above that goes 7-0 is promoted to Juryo.

I remember Hakuho is forbidden to use face-slapping at the tachiai, but I noticed he used it on Kise. Also, Takayasu also used it on Kakuryu. I'd like to hear what the YDC will say.  :-)

7 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

I dunno where you got that story but it’s a total fabrication.

He was absent because he was suspended by the oyakata and almost purged with all the others who retired (were fired) at that time.

Somehow he managed to avoid the chop. Maybe because his role in all that went on wasn’t fully known or maybe because the boss was afraid if he got rid of every single rikishi the heya would be closed.

Regardless far from ‘developing doubts’ he begged not to be thrown out and had others interceding on his behalf. 

This was punishment for bullying Brody/ Homarenishiki.

3 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

I remember Hakuho is forbidden to use face-slapping at the tachiai, but I noticed he used it on Kise. Also, Takayasu also used it on Kakuryu. I'd like to hear what the YDC will say.  :-)

He's been using it through the whole basho. And he isn't forbidden to use it, it's just that it isn't seen like yokozuna-like behavior, and thus its use is strongly discouraged.

11 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

He was absent because he was suspended by the oyakata and almost purged with all the others who retired (were fired) at that time.

Somehow he managed to avoid the chop. Maybe because his role in all that went on wasn’t fully known or maybe because the boss was afraid if he got rid of every single rikishi the heya would be closed.

Regardless far from ‘developing doubts’ he begged not to be thrown out and had others interceding on his behalf.

Ah, the Homarenishiki issue.  Speaking of that what is up with Shinshunishiki? He's listed as Banzuke-gai  for 2 years in the Sumo DB. I'm assuming he is actually intai and no official announcement was made?

2 minutes ago, Kotogouryuu said:
7 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

He's been using it through the whole basho. And he isn't forbidden to use it, it's just that it isn't seen like yokozuna-like behavior, and thus its use is strongly discouraged.

Frankly, smashing two heads together at high speed is a really dumb idea, and the primary thing that the slap seems to do is let Hakuho get on the belt without the knock to the head that comes with many other approaches.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

Frankly, smashing two heads together at high speed is a really dumb idea, and the primary thing that the slap seems to do is let Hakuho get on the belt without the knock to the head that comes with many other approaches.    

Seems no harm to his opponent, instead, the use of it prevents injury. It's really dangerous for two big man to bump heads together. 

2 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Every rikishi ranked Ms15w and above that goes 7-0 is promoted to Juryo.

A meticulously crafted statement that preemptively dodges the Shimoda case - well done! B-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Well, I have tried to reconstruct his career by using Wikipedia and other online reports. Since my abilities to read Japanese are rather limited, I also used a translator. Probably, things got messed up at this point. If he really was suspended instead of running away, I stand corrected here and thank you for correcting this error.

Edited by Raishu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

I think the restriction isnt for the slap but to the combination slap n' elbow. Not that Hak needed any of these tricks against the lamezuna kabukisenosato. Was a matter of disrespect.

Personaly i love the slap and elbow...In that fight against Takayasu, to me, whats make the Ozeki shinitai himself like that was an instintive reaction of his body memory...He knewed that Mr Monkhbatin was furious and prepared himself to an Genghis-Khan-style-elbow in the mouth. Layng his body to reduce the impact.

• Like 1