Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Yeah, I agree that was a pretty plain matta in Hakuho vs Takayasu. No idea why the gyoji let it pass. As I said earlier in this thread, I guess being Hakuho comes with some benefits... 

Hakuho - Takayasu could have been from a wildlife documentary. Young one wants to take over and pisses off old grumpy one. Old grumpy one goes in for the belly bump, marking his territory. From this moment it's over for the young one, old grumpy one tears him a new one and stays prime predator.

They should use the topview cam more often. Very interesting to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today, Tsurugisho of all people with a...oh, just see for yourself if you haven't already. He was defending very weakly the two days before so I already assumed something's up physically with him now, but I didn't expect him to get quite this desperate.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming. I was still rubbing my eyes too hard to take it for real.

How long has it been since Orora tried this?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asojima said:

How long has it been since Orora tried this?

Age minus two.

6 hours ago, CT3* said:

Agreed. After that second matta, Hakuho was visibly and unquestionably annoyed. And Takayasu knew it.  

At that moment, I thought to myself that Takayasu was in big trouble.

I don't know about that. Hakuho made a couple of fake-out moves himself that looked designed to draw out a matta. I think he was trying to confuse Takayasu on purpose.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Today, Tsurugisho of all people with a...oh, just see for yourself if you haven't already. He was defending very weakly the two days before so I already assumed something's up physically with him now, but I didn't expect him to get quite this desperate.

I watched this live and still don't believe it. 

15 hours ago, SumpaX said:

I am not a Mita fan but why did he attempt such a sloppy henka, I thought he had better chances straight on... : (

At the time, I thought it was a failed execution of HNH.  Mita rarely does a henka so I am not surprised he got nothing out of it.  I hate to 2nd guess his strategy after the fact.  

• Like 1

I was surprised to see some posters here ragging on Takayasu after his bout with Hak. Yes, he clearly fell for the tachiai mind tricks of the GOAT, but I think it was far from being pathetic and the worst bout of the day. In fact, it was more complimentary to Takayasu that Hak decided to go all Aminishiki on him. How many times have we seen Hak resort to that? He was wary of having a straight-on confrontation with the bear, bad back and all.

Sure, Yasu could've handled it better, but that's after the fact. I'm not sure any of the other sekitori could've done better in that situation.

As for Mita, well...nothing new here. Same old losing streak during the second half of a basho. Better luck with the next ozeki run, young blood.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ender Wiggin said:

I'm not sure any of the other sekitori could've done better in that situation.

Looking at the video again, I don't think anyone could have done worse than how Takayasu lost.  And he's an Ozeki, one who regularly goes against sanyukus, including Y/Os.   It was really a bad loss and hopefully one he won't repeat.   I am not trying to kick Takayasu when he's down on the floor.   Bad loss is a bad loss and there were a few on day 11.   And Takayasu's loss for me was the worst of the day.   It happens.  Takayasu needs to bounce back on day 12.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

What’s a matta you?

You gotta no respect.

...et cetera. 

Otherwise, my day 5 Mitakeumi concerns and hopes have been confirmed and/or enjinxed.

Also: Tochinoshin wants to remind you all that your puny Morozashi are futile.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Ender Wiggin said:

I was surprised to see some posters here ragging on Takayasu after his bout with Hak. Yes, he clearly fell for the tachiai mind tricks of the GOAT, but I think it was far from being pathetic and the worst bout of the day. In fact, it was more complimentary to Takayasu that Hak decided to go all Aminishiki on him. How many times have we seen Hak resort to that? He was wary of having a straight-on confrontation with the bear, bad back and all.

Sure, Yasu could've handled it better, but that's after the fact. I'm not sure any of the other sekitori could've done better in that situation.

As for Mita, well...nothing new here. Same old losing streak during the second half of a basho. Better luck with the next ozeki run, young blood.

On closer inspection, I think there was probably a matta there which mitigates my original verdict of ‘pathetic’ a little. That said, his demeanor throughout wasn’t particularly Ozeki-like and I’d expect a better reaction time. 

Toyohibiki put up a really tough fight there.  Great win for Enho. 

Just now, Rocks said:

Toyohibiki put up a really tough fight there.  Great win for Enho. 

And Enho is one win away from KK. 

Just now, rhyen said:

And Enho is one win away from KK. 

He'll get it.  It's in the bank. 

18 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
23 hours ago, Rocks said:

And the sumo was awful today.  Also, Serio is messing things up giving out freebies to everybody. Hopefully after he loses tomorrow he will withdraw because 3 wins won't keep him out of Makushita. 

He aims to only get demoted to the top 5, to be able to return in one basho.

I would have been interesting had Seiro decided to withdraw again - double fusenpai? Itamiwake?

1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

I would have been interesting had Seiro decided to withdraw again - double fusenpai? Itamiwake?

That's about the only thing that would have made Juryo interesting this basho. 

• Like 2

Yago looks good enough to win the juryo and rack up some wins in his Makuuchi debut in November.   

Myogiryu earned that kachikosh against Hokutofuji (or was that Chiynokuni?).

Edited by robnplunder

Goeido posts back-to-back double-digit kachikoshi for the first time as an Ozeki. Actually, it's only the second time he's managed successive 10+ at any time in makuuchi, if we ignore the two either side of the cancelled basho in March 2011. Quite remarkable for a man at sumo's second-highest rank.

Tochinoshin remains one win from his KK, but it was to be expected. Shodai tomorrow and you'd like to think he can beat him and save his rank.

Much better from Takayasu today. My only gripe is that it gives Hakuho a two-win lead in the yusho race. Goeido and Kakuryu face each other tomorrow, guaranteeing one of them remains mathematically in it, but it also means one gets knocked out if Hak wins.

Kisenosato-Mitakeumi looked like a bout between two knackered blokes who wanted to win but didn't know how. Not only has Mita probably cost himself the chance to carry forward his Ozeki run, but actually he could yet fail to KK. Kise on the other hand now has enough wins I feel to be able to say this was a good basho for him.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

if Hakuho goes 14-0 and wins the in 15th day he will achieve the 1000th win, in Makuuchi, right? my numbers are correct? if so, I'm just wondering the volume of that kensho bundle!! it will be bigger than a baby ichinojo!

Edited by luispereira

Although I have always respected Kisenosato, and admired his sumo, I've never really been a fan. I'm on record as saying that I would be cheering for him ahead of everyone else in this basho though, because I did not want to see him forced into retirement.

It seems to me now, that I'm going to walk away from Aki '18 with a little bit more. I think that maybe I'm beginning to look on Kisenosato in a new light, and starting to feel that he's a bit of a hero. Although a couple of his matches were stillborn, blunders where he set himself up for failure; the bouts where he delivered a decent tachiai, and gave himself a fighting chance, have been nothing short of inspiring to me. Mighty effort from a might man!

Edited by Shio-kago
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Goeido posts back-to-back double-digit kachikoshi for the first time as an Ozeki. Actually, it's only the second time he's managed successive 10+ at any time in makuuchi, if we ignore the two either side of the cancelled basho in March 2011. Quite remarkable for a man at sumo's second-highest rank.

And yet our two other Ozeki are fairly similar in this regard, 1 and 3 that is, counting the cancelled basho as a continuum, string of three double-digit performance for the lot of them .