Asashosakari

Aki Basho 2018 Discussion [SPOILERS]

My theory on the final match was that Takayasu was defending a potential henka, you could see that on the first false start. Whether or not Hakuho was ever planning a henka, he saw that too, and went full strength on the tachiai to blast him out.

• Like 1

Kisenosato actually looked like he was crying after that bout.  He was definitely kicking himself.  On his current form he's lucky to have KK'd at all in my view, and I have doubts now that he won't make 10.  Nobody was expecting him to take the yusho with the rest of the pack present and after such a long hiatus, but he's just imploded after a fairly strong start.  It wasn't anything amazing in terms of the sumo (forgiveable on this occasion) but he was getting the job done.  I think he's run out of stamina now.  He really needs 10 or I fear he'll get criticised by the YDC.

Hopefully Tochinoshin can hold on to his rank. I think that facial injury set him back a bit and he's been taking his tachiais gingerly as a result, but he got a good grip early on and finished the job.

What on earth was that Takayasu-Hakuhou bout all about?  I just.... I have no words. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Asanoyma's loss to Daishomaru was one of the worst of the basho.   God, that was bad.

Even the audience were stunned, he got no applause I noticed.

(Kakuryuuuuuuuu!!!!....:'-()

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

He really needs 10 or I fear he'll get criticised by the YDC.

I don't think so. He wasn't pressured to enter. On the contrary, some YDC members said he may not be ready and that he should take his time. The only one putting pressure on him was he himself, saying this is the crucial basho etc. If anything, he may decide to leave on his own if he gets only 8 wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I actually got goosebumps from Tochinoshin's match. You go chest to chest with that monster at your own peril, wow.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't think so. He wasn't pressured to enter. On the contrary, some YDC members said he may not be ready and that he should take his time. The only one putting pressure on him was he himself, saying this is the crucial basho etc. If anything, he may decide to leave on his own if he gets only 8 wins.

That's reassuring re the YDC.  For my part, I hope he won't retire just because he feels he hasn't fulfilled a (frankly unrealistic) self-imposed goal.  While he will never return to pre-injury fitness, there is still much improvement to be made on what he's currently showing, but this will only come with a few tournaments back in the saddle.  Hope he won't decide prematurely.  But I suppose any decision may boil down to whether he wants to simply participate in sumo or truly be competitive and if he concludes that yushos are now firmly beyond his grasp (even if he manages to get respectable scores), I could understand to some extent a decision to retire.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

And the sumo was awful today.  Also, Serio is messing things up giving out freebies to everybody. Hopefully after he loses tomorrow he will withdraw because 3 wins won't keep him out of Makushita. 

He aims to only get demoted to the top 5, to be able to return in one basho.

2 hours ago, SumpaX said:

I am not a Mita fan but why did he attempt such a sloppy henka, I thought he had better chances straight on... : (

He tried the same as last basho, where for the first time he won against Kaisei - he knows no other way yet to defeat him  - and Kaisei was prepared this time.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, serge_gva said:

I think we are witnessing Kisenosato's last basho. He will retire with a last Kachi-Koshi. :-|

I say bull on this sentiment. The NSK & YDC  will keep Kise from retiring for the next 2 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More celebs- Football -former German National Team member Lukas Podolski who plays in Japan now..With Hakuhou:

201809190000849-w500_0.jpg

sum18091921530016-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hakuho woke Ichinojo up, i learned today that Kisenosato can't hold against pushing attacks so his only chances are to get the mawashi, his opponents will be Mitakeumi, Goeido, Kakuryu and Hakuho. Gives me goosebumps thinking about how this basho might end.

Tochinoshin is looking impressive even though he lost some along the way, no one is stronger than him but that also shows how good Kisenosato is on the mawashi.

Hakuho won the match before it started, Takayasu was shook, didn't know what to do. Should've been a matta but Takayasu didn't even go for the tachi-ai he just stood there and waited for Hakuho. Could Takanoiwa steal the show again ? (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

Aminishiki did a tokkurinage for the second time this basho.  "It was accidental.. I guess i have to use some techniques I never used.." he joked.  Asked if he would  be drinking sake using a tokkuri (sake bottle), he answered. "Naah, I use that bottle for champagne, wine and posh drinks exclusively.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

Hakuho completely dominated the mental game, and Takayasu didn't have the slightest idea what to expect. A straightforward tachiai was the last thing he was looking for at that point.

Agreed. After that second matta, Hakuho was visibly and unquestionably annoyed. And Takayasu knew it. 

At that moment, I thought to myself that Takayasu was in big trouble.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Aminishiki did a tokkurinage for the second time this basho.  "It was accidental.. I guess i have to use some techniques I never used.." he joked.  Asked if he would  be drinking sake using a tokkuri (sake bottle), he answered. "Naah, I use that bottle for champagne, wine and posh drinks exclusively.."

I can see why this is a rare technique. It would be too easy to pull the hair if you aren't careful.

4 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

Hakuho-Tochinoshin for Day 12 should be a barn-burner!

It will be interesting. Tochinoshin was amazingly calm against Kakuryu. Unusual for him against yokozuna but he has gotten much calmer since being promoted to Ozeki. Tochinoshin has nothing to lose so no reason to be nervous or not to go all out against Hakuho. Tochinoshin's KK is a given at this point.

3 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

that Kisenosato can't hold against pushing attacks so his only chances are to get the mawashi, his opponents will be Mitakeumi, Goeido, Kakuryu and Hakuho. Gives me goosebumps thinking about how this basho might end.

He will beat at least one of them to make a 9-6 ending that is acceptable. 

35 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

He will beat at least one of them to make a 9-6 ending that is acceptable.  

Kakuryu and Hakuho will surely accept a fair mawashi duel. But both are yusho-runners.

Goedio will probably push hardly with a lower gravity center without mawashi grip, creating a very difficult situation for Kise if his tachiai wasn't perfect.

Edited by Umizoi

45 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

He will beat at least one of them

Probaly Goiedo will shows  some kindness for the national hero

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

It will be interesting. Tochinoshin was amazingly calm against Kakuryu. Unusual for him against yokozuna but he has gotten much calmer since being promoted to Ozeki. Tochinoshin has nothing to lose so no reason to be nervous or not to go all out against Hakuho. Tochinoshin's KK is a given at this point.

I've definitely enjoyed some of Tochinoshin's calmer moments as he's settled into the joi'i, but I'd say nothing's ever a given and the main thing he has to be nervous about in terms of Hakuho is an aggravation of an existing injury or creation of a new one.  It'll be a breath-holding viewing experience for me at least!

11 minutes ago, Jabbamaru said:

Probaly Goiedo will shows  some kindness for the national hero

If Hakuho loses to Tochinoshin tonight, Goeido will probably be firmly in the yusho race.  I wouldn't bet on a burst of kindness.

In my mind, Day 11 was just what the doctor ordered (although I would never have predicted it...in fact, I didn't).  Were the three amigos (i.e., Yokozunas) getting just a little too complacent?  I know I was complacent about accepting that this tournament would end up being a two man show, with the yusho decided by the last bout of the Senshuraku.  But with five days remaining, it was somewhat inevitable that things would get shaken up.  And boy was there a shake up!

Kakuryu, whose sumo was looking better than it has in a long time, was left speechless when Tochinoshin flat out out-muscled him.  Not only did Kakuryu fail to avoid Tochi's double-handed grip, but also he failed to defend against the tsuri lift that Tochi is known for.  Tochi definitely caught Kakuryu sleeping.  That is not to say that Tochinoshin doesn't deserve a huge amount of credit.  This was a major victory for Tochi in terms of his Ozeki pride and his efforts to avoid demotion.

Then came Kisenosato against Ichinojo.  Ichi has had an essentially forgettable tournament up until today.  He seemed to lack any drive, whereas Kise was/is fighting for his career as a Yokozuna.  I doubt many of us truly felt that Ichi would pull off the upset, and yet he did!  Frankly, Kise fought about the poorest that he has fought all tournament.  Did the kachikoshi on Day 10 make him a little too complacent?  Being a Yokozuna means that you have to give your all each and every time you get in the ring.  Apparently, Kise didn't receive that memo...

And what can I say about the Hakuho vs. Takayasu bout?  Ozeki Takayasu has been showing solid sumo this tournament, and the stage was set for a third upset!  But Hakuho being Hakuho took charge of the situation.  I loved how he stepped forward at the first matta, to assert himself and protect his space on the ring.  The second matta was again him taking control of the situation.  He was not happy with Takayasu's unwillingness to engage.  But the third tachiai, Takayasu was so confused that he didn't know what to do.  Hakuho took over and knocked him to the ground.  Arguably, Shikimori Kandaiyu could have called yet another matta, but he is simply too weak as a gyoji.  The expression on his face when he pointed his gunbai to Hakuho's side of the ring was simply priceless.  

Hakuho may just be one of the best preparers for his bouts.  He may have smelled a shake up coming and acted accordingly.  That applies not only to how he handled himself when the tachiai was being worked out.  It also applies to his ring-entering ceremony.  Perhaps many of you noticed that Hakuho switched his keshowashi set on Day 11.  While that may not have much to do with anything other than the man has more sets than he knows what to do with them, but I feel that there is an underlying psychological mindset behind such changes that borders on superstition...

As much as I disliked the fact that Takayasu did not end up getting a fair fight (not to mention Mitakeumi's loss), I feel that this was the best day of the tournament so far!

And this thing is far from over!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Asojima said:

If Hakuho loses to Tochinoshin tonight, Goeido will probably be firmly in the yusho race.  I wouldn't bet on a burst of kindness.

And if Goeido loses to both Yokozuna? Goeido won't face Kisenosato till Sunday.

Kagayaki defeats endo ( 4 or 5 kensho..nice). Kotoyuki doing some good sumo for once. Kakaryuu beat..soundly..wow. Should have been a matta Hakuho / Takayasu.